Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bear rips into sleeping family's tent trailer

TundraTire
Explorer
Explorer
Bear rips into sleeping family's tent trailer

Happened last week at Rampart Creek campground, just north of Lake Louise, Alberta.

Of note, wildlife officials found nothing in the trailer to attract the bear (food scent). They suspect others of feeding the bear.
15 REPLIES 15

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
That sure would be scary/. I guess this is why we sometimes see campgrounds out west that advertise no tents or soft sided campers permitted. That family sure was lucky. I do hope the mom reconsiders going back to the mountains; there are lots of areas her family could have a more positive experience. Glad everyone is OK.

Thankfully we do not have big furry things being a problem with Camping in Australia, so soft sides are not an issue

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder...If one put up a tripwire that had noisemakers on it (aluminum pots and pans, maybe), would the noise the bear created discourage him/her from coming into camp?

If I were camping where bears were commonly seen around campgrounds, I may rig something up like that. In all my Colorado boondocking, I have not had a bear in camp that I know of, whether tenting, pup-camping, or hard-side. If I went to Canada, or northern Minnesota, maybe I would try the tripwire. Might get to see a bear, anyway, if one awoke me at night. 🙂
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Betcha they had cooked inside fairly recently.

We rarely cook inside the pup, but not because of bear worries. We just feel like cooking outside is part of camping!

Serenlyretired
Explorer
Explorer
Seen bears rip open Hummers so heavy metal is no protection.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
If a bear wants in, he usually gets in...I sleep with a 44 mag anyway, and it ain't necessarily bears I worry about.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Hard sided trailers are, in some people's minds, enough to stop a bear that is motivated. Hardly.

From this thread on RV.net:

or here:

Then, from elsewhere:
Class C:

Car doors seem to be structurally stronger than the aluminum skin and 1"x1" wood construction of most RVs but even that... (National Park Service picture)

Visual evidence would suggest that anything with doors and windows seems to be a welcome mat to a bear with a heightened sense of smell and a hungry stomach or a curious mind.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
TundraTire wrote:
Bmach wrote:
Like a bear will be stopped by a hard sided trailer.

I have a hard sided trailer with fibreglass exterior walls, and the only weak points I see are the windows and door.

And walls
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

TundraTire
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:

I have a hard sided trailer with fibreglass exterior walls, and the only weak points I see are the windows and door.

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:

I have an aliner and thought it would be good around bears. At least better than a popup.
A bear would have no problem knocking one of the sides in and be right in there with you. More bracing. Maybe an electric fence.

Good post has given me a lot to think about.

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II

TundraTire
Explorer
Explorer
I think a follow-up article quoted the mom as saying she would go camping again, but only in a hard-sided unit.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i camp with a mossberg 500 and 2 cans of bear spray.so far so good.i even have a can on my boat for when we do shore lunches.can't be too careful.we're almost always in bear country,but in bc,everywhere is bear country.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
That sure would be scary/. I guess this is why we sometimes see campgrounds out west that advertise no tents or soft sided campers permitted. That family sure was lucky. I do hope the mom reconsiders going back to the mountains; there are lots of areas her family could have a more positive experience. Glad everyone is OK.

I believe she has.

The very first line of the article: " Ashley Bayliss hadn’t been camping in the mountains since she was a little girl, but after a scary encounter on Saturday, the Sherwood Park mom says she won't soon be back.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)