cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best place and price for 19.5 wheels and tires.

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had planned to upgrade my tires to Cooper ST with a 4080 lb rating which would probably be within limits for my camper. Won't know for sure until I weigh it.
However, with the replys from my other posts regarding less capacity for the wheels, I'm looking into 19.5"
I know Rickson has a good reputation but I talked to a guy with the same camper as mine on a Chev 3500 SRW and he hated them. Said they rode so rough that he ended up selling them and went back to stock 17" wheels and hasn't had any problems.
I like the Vision 81A Heavy Hauler in black with a 4500 lb rating.
I would like to go with as wide of tire as possible without any lift.
It looks like a 285 would work and has over 6k lb rating.
Also, the prices on the wheels seem reasonable at around $250 but I didn't expect the tires to cost $400-600!!
Any recommendations on chain tire stores or a dealer in the So Cal area?
Thanks
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
22 REPLIES 22

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Good on ya for getting out in the TC!!

I heard back from Rickson yesterday. Here's the basic e-mail reply to my inquiry as to when they will get the rings;

I genuinely regret to have to tell you that no, there is no news yet on the trim rings from the company owner Dan Richter. I have sent him a number of emails recently about the rings but I gather he doesn't have any definitive answer, he doesn't reply. Once again I am very sorry about this. I will forward this over to him now as a reminder.

Thank you,
Heather
Rickson Truck Wheels

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
skippro3,
I'll ask when we return home. After 2 years of no TC travel due to health and family stuff, Linda and I FINALLY busted out. I'm writing from the rainy beach at Assateague Island, Maryland. Almost no other folks here, we're just sittin and thinkin,it's wonderful to be out again!
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
The Les Schwab stores I've used don't really balance 19.5s, they just put that "Equal" garbage in them. What I ended up having to do with the last set of 19.5s from Schwab (on an Isuzu truck) was take it to a real truck tire shop and have them balance them for real.
Les Schwab tried to tell me 19.5s don't get spin balanced with weights, the "Equal"' additive is the only way to do it. But they couldn't explain why my wheels had balancing weights before they got their hands on them, and why they still shook after their so-called balancing job with that stuff they put in them.

I'd never go there again.

Mine spun balanced mine and used real weights.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Les Schwab stores I've used don't really balance 19.5s, they just put that "Equal" garbage in them. What I ended up having to do with the last set of 19.5s from Schwab (on an Isuzu truck) was take it to a real truck tire shop and have them balance them for real.
Les Schwab tried to tell me 19.5s don't get spin balanced with weights, the "Equal"' additive is the only way to do it. But they couldn't explain why my wheels had balancing weights before they got their hands on them, and why they still shook after their so-called balancing job with that stuff they put in them.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
skipbee wrote:
We live just a few miles from Rickson Trucks operation, Dan has been as helpful as could be regards wheel and tire safety and economy. I recommend him highly, google Rickson Trucks. I'm not paid only pleased!

Could you do me a favor? I've been trying for well over a year to buy a set of their chrome trim rings. They have been promising me that they will be available in "a couple months". Ask them if they really are ever going to get them or not and why they keep lying to me when they will be in. The them Jerry Heitman asks on a public forum. They have me in their order computer. Thanks!!

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
You can also get centramatics to balance your tires. They not only balance the tires, but all moving parts on the spindle. I used them on my semi truck and was very happy with the purchase. They are guaranteed for 1 million miles if I remember correctly.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Have you guys ever tried "Equal" in these big tires?
I used it a lot in my class 8 tires, 22.5's.

Bedlam
The balancing machines have to be able to handle the heavier weights of 19.5's. Automotive rated machines cannot, but places that sell large oversized off-road tires often have the heavier equipment.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
What special tools would you need other than a couple spoons and an air tank??

I changed tires myself all the time on my class 8 rigs and they had aluminum wheels all the way around.

Sounds like someone is blowin' smoke here 🙂

Bedlam
Of the two nearest Les Schwab stores to me, one does commercial and the other does not. Some Costco's have a commercial warehouse operation where they do 19.5's, but most consumer Costco's will only order them without mounting.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Les Schwab did my Vision/19.5s on my SRW and also changed my tires for my F450 also 19.5s when I got them. I'd call the store you plan to use, and they can tell you if they can do them or not.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
FireGuard wrote:
Buzzcut, did Les Schwab mount your tires?
Someone mentioned the chain stores won't mount 19.5. Is this because of the higher pressures needed or that they don't have the proper equipment to do the job?

Les Schwab does commercial trucks as well as passenger cars. They mounted and balanced the 19.5 tire/wheel set

Do all? From what I remember they need the commercial truck center to do them and not all had it. I know my local does and it is a seperate center.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
FireGuard wrote:
Someone mentioned the chain stores won't mount 19.5. Is this because of the higher pressures needed or that they don't have the proper equipment to do the job?

Les Schwab does commercial trucks as well as passenger cars. They mounted and balanced the 19.5 tire/wheel set
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650