cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Sealing Tape Option

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Our travel trailer is now 13 years old and I want to do a complete sealing job using Eternabond. I want to seal the four sides of the roof and the seams around the two slideouts. I am also replacing the slideout seals. I want to get at least another 7 years out of our rv. It is 24ft with two slideouts and it works great for us.

Looking up Eternabond on Amazon I also find the following recommendations. I'm not concerned about cost what truly is the best sealing tape to use that will last?

Here is the list I have found:

Lion Knight, E-SDS, XFasten, SUNLL Butyl Seal, CANOPUS, Amazon Basics Gaffers Tape, WellLuck, Ziolla, CANOPUS

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
12 REPLIES 12

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Just like other forms of roof sealing, Eternabond isn't the end-all, be-all solution. Leaks can still happen.

Read here to learn about and Eternabond failure.

The statement below sums up exactly what the link above describes happened with their usage of Eternabond:

ajriding wrote:
The tape will leak anywhere there is a small angle or crevice as the tape cannot fill in little gaps, you will have to supplement with lap sealant anyway to fill the gaps the tape leave behind, or water will get in and rot out what you think you are protecting.
Bob

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
JMO ...mods/adm should delete Badger Mcadams and part of ajriding off topic political rant that has nothing to do with answering the OP questions about sealing products. Seems like some can't take off their political glasses...SNIPPED

ROFLMAO...My post was political? Nice...If you knew me, you would know how ridiculous your statement about my "political glasses" truly is. That said...

To the OP...Go with whatever tape you think is best. Sometimes, Dicor Self-Leveling will do a better job than just tape by itself.

Buy it where ever you want. Do, or do not, buy it from Amazon, or eBay, or Craigslist, or...or where ever.

Go forth and enjoy the world. Sorry my "political" post offended anyone. May the Gods have mercy on my soul.

There, are you happy JIMNLIN?

Now I remember why I rarely post on this forum...

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
JMO ...mods/adm should delete Badger Mcadams and part of ajriding off topic political rant that has nothing to do with answering the OP questions about sealing products. Seems like some can't take off their political glasses.

My thoughts;...my 1997 32' 5er is going on 24 years old and has had nothing but self leveling Dicor on the roof replacing OEM sealants when needed. Much of the OEM sealant is still doing its job.
Units this old need extra watching up there as OEM plastic covers/roof jacks other sealants get brittle and easily break or crack allowing water intrusion.

I wouldn't use a tape on my trailers roof especially over scr heads other than patching a hole or a torn area.

Eternabond has been around several years and has a good service record.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Millions and millions of Anti-Americans...me, too...cuz I bought my Eternabond on Amazon.
The angels took the morning off here, itโ€™s just gray sky.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Funny I attempted to notify the moderator but the "notify" box says something about "autofill". So I sent the moderator a PM and wouldn't you know it, it disappeared.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Was going to suggest looking at the reviews on....um um Amazon but prefer not to be labeled as the antichrist.
Sooo just use Eternabond.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the topic.
Eternabond at one time was available in pretty large sizes. The was a fella on the board many years ago that did his entire roof using it.

I never heard any follow up reports as to how it did long term.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
ajriding wrote:
What kind of roof do you have? rubber, fiberglass, aluminum?

Don't use Amazon. Ebay has it too and is not funding the hatred of America. Do your homework on where your money goes.

I appreciate the info on tape but I'll decide where I want to buy the product from.

Thanks

Lot's of people support anti-American companies. Congrats on being one of them. Do homework, Im not trying to sway you, just to provide info that you can investigate yourself then make an informed decision.
On second though.. Yes, use tape all over your camper. Tape it up like a redneck duct tape'd Ford sedan. Ruin the value and render it un-sellable and insure water damage years down the road...

I have re-written this response 4 times now. Each time trying to bring it down a notch. This is as down a notch as I can get.

Really? Let's break down your post...

"Lot's of people support anti-American companies. Congrats on being one of them."

So, by saying this, you are accusing the OP of being Anti-American by supporting Anti-American companies. If he is supporting an Anti-American company, then logic follows that he must be Anti-American. He should be thrown in Leavenworth!!!

Do you have admissible LEGAL proof that Amazon is an Anti-American company? If there were truly any real LEGAL in court proof that Amazon was being illegal in its operations, treasonous, or performing acts of sedition, they would have the Justice Department arresting their CEO's, top Managers, etc.

Unless of course you want to buy into the theory that they ARE in cahoots with the government and are paying bribes so they can keep their illuminati conspiracy going...

"Do homework, Im not trying to sway you, just to provide info that you can investigate yourself then make an informed decision."

By that very comment, Yes, you ARE trying to sway him.

The info you tell him to investigate? I see you posted no links to anything. To verified, UN-BIASED facts that are vouched for by BOTH sides of the discussion.

I can say that the sky is blue because every morning angels get up there with spray paint and paint it blue. Mind you, I have absolutely NO verified evidence of this, but it sure sounds good and might sell books. But when science says differently, and it has been proven otherwise, then my FACTS have nothing to stand on...at all.

In the last part of your post, you attack the OP because he disagreed with your ideas. People come here for information from those with experience. The OP was asking for an experienced opinion about they various types of RV tape. But because he chose to call you on your opinion, you insult him. You should be extremely proud. They should nominate your for Forum Buddy of the Year!!

Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean you have to be a (insert your word of choice here).

Just my 2 cents...your mileage may vary...see dealer for details.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
ajriding wrote:

Don't use Amazon. Ebay has it too and is not funding the hatred of America. Do your homework on where your money goes.

I appreciate the info on tape but I'll decide where I want to buy the product from.

Thanks

Lot's of people support anti-American companies. Congrats on being one of them. Do homework, Im not trying to sway you, just to provide info that you can investigate yourself then make an informed decision.
On second though.. Yes, use tape all over your camper. Tape it up like a redneck duct tape'd Ford sedan. Ruin the value and render it un-sellable and insure water damage years down the road...

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
ajriding wrote:

Thanks
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer

The 3M is great tape. Just get the 3M, none of the tape is expensive.
Tape works great for a quickie fix. Long-term is another story. Eventually you will need to re-do, remove or re-work your fix-it job. The tape makes a mess. If you can do your job with Dicore Lap sealant then use the sealant, NOT THE TAPE!!!
The tape will leak anywhere there is a small angle or crevice as the tape cannot fill in little gaps, you will have to supplement with lap sealant anyway to fill the gaps the tape leave behind, or water will get in and rot out what you think you are protecting.
Don't use the tape to waterproof the camper. Do use tape to tape down solar panels so you dont have to drill holes, or to make a patch over a hole on a flat surface. The tape has its place, but not for your purpose.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why experiment? I'd stick with a winner with a proven track record. Eternabond.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad