cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best thing to use under jacks while unloading on grass

HUNTERJEFF
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was wondering what the best thing to put under the jacks while storing my camper on grass.
Thanks
Jeff
13 REPLIES 13

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
On grass long term? Patio blocks.
Short term? Whatever scrap lumber you have laying around.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are in TX, but plywood sitting on wet dirt will rot, or delaminate within 1 winter in wet climates.
I mention it before, but now is good time to remind.
On my Fleetwood, who had some water damage, I measure that front walls overhangs sag pretty much over the years.
That could be due camper big weight, where main beam supporting the overhangs was 3/4 x 1.5" (how is that for holding 4000 lb ?) or maybe PO over-stressing front ties.
Either way, when you drop the camper on floor support, good idea to grab the level and check how the sides compare to floor level.
Playing with jacks you can re-level it for long storage, so the sag does not accumulate over the years.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normally I would agree. But look at that site I referenced. They are far from the typical sawhorse kit.
Bigfoot has a diagram in their owners manual of how they want theirs to be stored. Concrete blocks with a 4X4 across side to side at the front, just in front of the "skirt" area, and another as far back as possible. Then a sheet of plywood on top of the 4X4's. I used the concrete blocks for a while but moving them around everytime I loaded and unloaded was a true pain in the back, so I substituted 6X6 treated pine blocks, 16" long, sitting on 24X24 plywood. I put my jacks on 2" concrete pads at the back, and the front is on a small piece of scrap 1x6 sitting on a 24x24 plywood pad. I put my jacks down to just a little past contact when storing.
When loading I back over the plywood and it doesn't upset the truck too much.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I estimate front jacks on my camper carry about 4000 lb when loaded.
Don't trust sawhorses at this weight.
Also supporting the floor in midllelenght is bad idea. Not much frame there.
Put support under front wall.
Being in construction, I found a 2x3 aluminium tubing and cut it to length to support front of the camper.
For jacks support I do have lot of scrap wood.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I misspoke. The ones I saw don't support 2,000 pounds, it's 4,000 pounds each.
Look at sawhorsebrackets.com
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:

But Home Depot has metal frames to build sawhorses, about $55 per pair, plus lumber. Supposed to support 2000 pounds per set. I might do that.

Might work, but these are designed specifically for truck campers by Torklift:

Works for me. Opps, sorry about the tent picture,,,,,,

Lakeside

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had an old sheet of plywood and cut 24" X 24" squares out of it. Then stack 6 x 6 on top of that, then a 4x4 then a sheet of 3/8 plywood. Front middle and back.
But Home Depot has metal frames to build sawhorses, about $55 per pair, plus lumber. Supposed to support 2000 pounds per set. I might do that.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Btw, I got the Camco ones after getting tired of hauling the wood blocks around, plus the wood blocks get warped over time. The Camco ones lock in to each other and fit in a small place for storage, that was a huge plus for me.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I use pressure treated boards cut to 12" lengths. Lower the camper as close to the ground as possible too.

Pretty much the same for me, but substitute Trex decking for wood.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Camco RV Stabilizing Jack Pads, Helps Prevent Jacks From Sinking, 6.5 Inch x 9 Inch Pad - 4 pack (44595)

Works great for me, search amazon.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
When & where? I have no problems unloading my camper on grass on level ground in the middle of summer. Ask me the same question in the middle of winter when the ground is soft an mushy, and you will get a different answer.

Take 'grass' out of the question and insert sand, dirt, gravel, etc. The same thing applies. How stable is the surface? Is it likely to significantly compact over time? If so, then disperse the load by adding blocks under the jacks.

And since you are 'storing'.... Yeah, put some sort of platform underneath to hold the load. Also probably put down some tarps to block stuff from growing up under the camper - you don't want to come back to your camper in a weed patch in a month.

HTH,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
In addition to the boards supporting the jacks, you might want to add a stack of pallets or other supports for the body of the camper so that the jacks do not have to carry the full weight. I do that even when storing on a hard surface.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use pressure treated boards cut to 12" lengths. Lower the camper as close to the ground as possible too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB