cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Tow Vehicle

Crazy_Sadie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of setting up for full time & trying to do my homework before buying a tow vehicle. Everyone has a favorite brand & I don't ... yet. Definitely leaning toward 1 ton diesel. Want something that will handle most towables.
I want to buy the vehicle straight out so that doesn't leave me with much to spend. The best I can get for around $5000. I know this means high mileage & likely some repairs (have some extra $ for this). I have access to a good mechanic who will also go through anything I am thinking of purchasing.
So, what am I looking for?
18 REPLIES 18

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
First the bad news. I don't think you will find anything out there, that would be dependable enough for full timing, in a diesel 1-ton, for $5,000.

Yeah, it would have to be some type of weird situation to find one for that price that you'd actually want to fix up if necessary and own.

Ours is a 2000 F350 with the 7.3L PSD, see the sig for all the particulars. It has about 125,000 miles on it right now and is in good shape overall (interior is excellent, body is in good shape, undercarriage is solid as it did come from Wisconsin originally)

In any event, I wouldn't be surprised if I could get 14,000-15,000 for it right now if I advertised it on Autotrader or somewhere.

Older diesels still hold quite a bit of value if they're are solidly maintained.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I would pay $2,000 tops for a 93 Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel and $3k tops if the AC works.

That's fine. I wouldn't sell it to you anyway. :B

With ARP's and Fel-Pro head gaskets the thing is for sure WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY more reliable than a stock 6.0 PS and more than likely more reliable than a band-aided up 6.0 PS. And I can run my 93 DB2 pump on WMO for free. Try that with a 6.0. and see what happens. ๐Ÿ˜›

I wouldn't mind having a 2500 4x4 6.5 TD for one of our work trucks. We had a '97 2500 and it was a good all around truck except every once in a while the truck wouldn't start when it was hot.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Kip81
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get all the hate on this forum for older trucks. A quick look at the local classifieds I found about 5 trucks in 1 minute. You can find a 12v cummins for under 5 grand. Find a 5 speed and throw a few grand into it and will out pull any of the new trucks. And if something breaks you can actually fix it. Oh and get a hell of alot better MPG.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy Sadie wrote:
Thanks everyone. That's why I love to read this sight. You all have probably saved me a bunch of stress & $$$. I will re-evaluate my plan. I am going to live in the RV for all but 2 or 3 months a year (winter). I plan to work & travel the rest of the time as my budget allows.
After your info, I think I'll have to get a newer vehicle (diesel) & an older fiver or TT. It's all about what I can afford to take on with early retirement + odd jobs.
One more question: What types & years of diesel truck would I try to avoid? I heard some years of the 6.0 have major issues.

I would avoid all years of the 6.0 Powerstroke and I am a Ford guy. The 7.3 PS was reliable and the 6.7 PS is proving to be good. The 6.4 PS gets mixed reviews. If you can find a 2005 and up 6.8L gas engine you can have the best gas towing combination going and it will be considerably cheaper than a diesel powered truck.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I think your are doing the right thing by reevaluating your budget. You will buy only problems for $5K diesel. Try searching there is tons of info on tow vehicles here. Here is a link to a similar question several days ago HERE>

Crazy_Sadie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. That's why I love to read this sight. You all have probably saved me a bunch of stress & $$$. I will re-evaluate my plan. I am going to live in the RV for all but 2 or 3 months a year (winter). I plan to work & travel the rest of the time as my budget allows.
After your info, I think I'll have to get a newer vehicle (diesel) & an older fiver or TT. It's all about what I can afford to take on with early retirement + odd jobs.
One more question: What types & years of diesel truck would I try to avoid? I heard some years of the 6.0 have major issues.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mtofell1 wrote:
IMO, 10K could get you a diesel that will move from point A to B but need repairs, possibly significant, along the way. 5K isn't even in the ballpark unless you want truck that drives sideways (branded title) or has major mechanical problems..... for 5K you should expect both.

X2

I have been looking for a used Ram/Cummins for my daughter, and have not seen too many below $10,000 even as old as 1st gen, Ford 7.3 are the same, not cheap unless a beater. Older diesels can be strong and reliable, but will not be bought for $5,000, more like $10,000 to $15,000.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, 10K could get you a diesel that will move from point A to B but need repairs, possibly significant, along the way. 5K isn't even in the ballpark unless you want truck that drives sideways (branded title) or has major mechanical problems..... for 5K you should expect both.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I would pay $2,000 tops for a 93 Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel and $3k tops if the AC works.

That's fine. I wouldn't sell it to you anyway. :B

With ARP's and Fel-Pro head gaskets the thing is for sure WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY more reliable than a stock 6.0 PS and more than likely more reliable than a band-aided up 6.0 PS. And I can run my 93 DB2 pump on WMO for free. Try that with a 6.0. and see what happens. ๐Ÿ˜›
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
A $5k full time tow vehicle is a oxymoron, IMO.
Even a blown 6.0 is not a TV, let alone full time TV.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
You want to find a full time TV for 5K?

Let me give you some prices.

I paid well over a grand just for tires for my TV two years ago.

My 8 YO diesel TV is worth 28 grand.

I would not take 5K for my 93 diesel TV with 175K on the clock. 8K may get it but not 5K.

Injectors for my diesel are worth 5K for them and installation.

You may be able to pull it off on some weird deal but 99.99% of the time you are just buying trouble for a TV for 5 grand.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
You want to find a full time TV for 5K?

Let me give you some prices.

I paid well over a grand just for tires for my TV two years ago.

My 8 YO diesel TV is worth 28 grand.

I would not take 5K for my 93 diesel TV with 175K on the clock. 8K may get it but not 5K.

Injectors for my diesel are worth 5K for them and installation.

You may be able to pull it off on some weird deal but 99.99% of the time you are just buying trouble for a TV for 5 grand.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a vehicle you would want to be seen in and you plan on getting to the next stop you may need to rethink your budget.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
For a $5,000 you are looking at a truck that is probably 20 years old. A F350/3500 diesel 10 years old will probably cost you $10-15,000. You might get a sweetheart deal in a private sale.

A truck prior to 2005 won't have near the towing number of the newer trucks either.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.