cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best vehicles for towing

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to the idea of buying a TT. The vehicle we have now won't safely tow the size we want so we will need to buy another vehicle. We are looking at a TT that has about a 6500lb dry weight. What vehicles should we be looking at to tow that?

Are we crazy for getting such a big TT as our first one? There will consistently be probably three adults (maybe more) and two little kids. Space for a pack n play is important since our toddler would roll off a bed.

Thanks!!
44 REPLIES 44

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tomg2 wrote:
Talk about misrepresentation. Why is stating that 3/4 ton pickups generally have more gvwr than all but a select few 1/2 ton models a form of "bashing"?

I never said or referred to that other than my older F-250 had the same GVWR as my 2008 f-150 Supercrew.

I have owned and towed with three F-150'a, one F-250, one 1500, and three 2500HD's in the past fifteen years.

I have owned and towed with several Ford f-250's from diesels to the old 460/GMC and Chevy 2500 and HD from the 350 to the mighty 454 and 6.0 and the lowly old 1/2 tons from 283 up.......I can tell you this, none of them pulled a 30ft trailer any better than my Supercrew does. Not to mention all the heavy equipment I have hauled in and out of the woods for my work.

I have a 2003 HD/6.0 in the driveway right now but it pulls my trailer no better than my Supercrew.....

I wasn't aiming the 1/2 ton bashing at you, just a few guys that continually do it.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
Why hasn't anyone mentioned a 2500 Suburban?
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
E&J push'n wind wrote:
Shorteelaw wrote:
To clarify how far we would be going... the furthest is probably a couple hundred miles. We live in Oregon which has mountains and beach a couple hours each way so there's no need for us to go far. No cross country trips for us.

I thought the Titan we were looking at had a payload of close to 2,000. I guess I'm confused too about the Tongue weight. If a truck says that the max tongue weight is 950 then I need to make sure that the tongue weight of the TT is less than 950?

The MFG puts that there because it is 10% of the factory tow rating of the vehicle. The actual hitch is rated at 10K WD and 5K wt. carring.

Shorteelaw -- you are correct with the mention you make regarding tongue weight and the receiver limit.

I think the point E&J is trying to make is that receivers have different limits on how much weight they can tow whether they are being used with WD hitch or not. However the same is true for the Tongue Weight the receiver can support. For instance my Duramax has a class V hitch. The limit on my hitch are ...

Max trailer weight...
Weight carrying = 7500
Weight distribution = 13000

Max tongue weight...
Weight carrying 1000
Weight distribution 1500

Recall that is just one of the many limits that need to be considered when matching a trailer to a tow vehicle. As many have pointed out you need to be aware of GVWR, Cargo capacity, GAWRs, GCVWR.

With the weight trailer you are looking at, and knowing those kids are going to grow and then you be hauling more of their stuff (think bikes) you would be well served with a 250/2500 Crewcab PU.

Lastly, if you find the perfect truck but the receiver isn't properly rated -- that is an easy change.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Sarcasm doesn't come through well on here. Sorry for trying. It just seems that some people will grab onto as little as 100 pounds to justify their purchases or decisions. I will usually error on the side of having enough capacity to haul Uncle Bill and his knapsack along if I want to. (Bill goes about 225 with 25 pounds of junk)

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Shorteelaw wrote:
Not four adults... two adults and two very small children (infant and toddler). Not that it really matters - I find that the amount of space an adult would need for legs is about the same that is needed for a toddler's carseat/legs.

So noted, and if they don't eat too much, that much more payload will be available if he is close to his limit.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic... but if we are getting close to our max a 10 lb baby, a 25 lb toddler, and less than 100 pounds in carseats is a difference than two grown adults.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Shorteelaw wrote:
Not four adults... two adults and two very small children (infant and toddler). Not that it really matters - I find that the amount of space an adult would need for legs is about the same that is needed for a toddler's carseat/legs.

So noted, and if they don't eat too much, that much more payload will be available if he is close to his limit.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
TomG

I don't have a problem recommending a 3/4 ton to anyone but I do have a problem with all the misrepresenting and catorigizing of so called 1/2 tons....

...snip.....
1/2 ton bashing gets old.

Talk about misrepresentation. Why is stating that 3/4 ton pickups generally have more gvwr than all but a select few 1/2 ton models a form of "bashing"? I have owned and towed with three F-150'a, one F-250, one 1500, and three 2500HD's in the past fifteen years. In every case the 3/4 ton models were superior tow vehicles. They may have used more fuel, or rode worse, but they towed and hauled better.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
$20k doesn't get you into most late model 6-spd+ half tons, ecoboost, etc. It does get you into a 2007.5 GM HD 6.0L crew cab pickup with a fantastic track record and powertrain. SUVs will cost more for the same mileage/condition/age.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG

I don't have a problem recommending a 3/4 ton to anyone but I do have a problem with all the misrepresenting and catorigizing of so called 1/2 tons....

My son has a HD 2500/6.0 and we have hauled the same loads of wood and trailers with his and my F-150/5.4.....Not a difference to be noted between the two up to 10k other than the F-150 has a better power band there for more power in the hills. Other than that, not much difference other than the paper numbers.

I bought this F-150 because it pulled my 30ft trailer much better than my older F-250 and with the same GVWR.

1/2 ton bashing gets old.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
Shorteelaw wrote:
To clarify how far we would be going... the furthest is probably a couple hundred miles. We live in Oregon which has mountains and beach a couple hours each way so there's no need for us to go far. No cross country trips for us.

I thought the Titan we were looking at had a payload of close to 2,000. I guess I'm confused too about the Tongue weight. If a truck says that the max tongue weight is 950 then I need to make sure that the tongue weight of the TT is less than 950?

The MFG puts that there because it is 10% of the factory tow rating of the vehicle. The actual hitch is rated at 10K WD and 5K wt. carring.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
In 2008 the Ford F-150 payload started at 1480 lbs then went clear to 3080 lbs, depending on model.

As mentioned the ones with over 3,000 pound payload are standard cab special order models. The OP stated that he wants seating for four adults. The chances of him finding a used F-150 that seats four and has a payload over 3,000 pounds is about as likely as finding Flight 370. With most 3/4 tom models having a gvwr over 9,000 pounds, why search for a maxed out 1/2 ton that has 8,000 pounds?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
In 2008 the Ford F-150 payload started at 1480 lbs then went clear to 3080 lbs, depending on model.

As mentioned the ones with over 3,000 pound payload are standard cab special order models. The OP stated that he wants seating for four adults. The chances of him finding a used F-150 that seats four and has a payload over 3,000 pounds is about as likely as finding Flight 370. With most 3/4 ton models having a gvwr over 9,000 pounds, why search for a maxed out 1/2 ton that has 8,000 pounds, if he needs a pickup with that kind of capacity?

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer