cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BFG Rugged Terrains?

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone running these? Seem to be a decent tire that replaced the 'Rugged Trail' Light Truck tire line. Studying reviews for the last six months and they're mostly favorable. However, as we know, hauling a TC doesn't really apply to most people.

Tire rack specs says they're equal to what I'm already running which are Contitrac LT275/70-18 E load 10 ply @3640 lbs.

2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's
24 REPLIES 24

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Are the Michelin AT2s not available in 18s? When I was looking at tires, I even considered switching to 18" wheels because the 18" E rated tires have 4-500 lbs more load capacity than 17" E rated tires.

I ended up getting the Nitto Terra Grappler, which in 285/70R17E are rated for 3,750 lbs per tire. The Nittos seem fine thus far, but you should have more choices in the 18" sizes than I had in 17s.

My top choices would have been the Goodyear All Terrain Adventure or the Michelin AT2s. Sadly, in the size I wanted, the Michelins are not available in E rated at all, and the Goodyears, while E, were rated for 600 lbs less weight per tire than the Nitto, so I went with the Nitto for extra insurance. If the Goodyear or Michelins are available in a size that you want for your truck, I would strongly recommend them.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
seldom,

Had the ATP's not been available, I'd have went with the AT3's.

Regarding the BFG Rugged Trails, honestly, they were never a consideration. I had friends who'd ran them over the years and were altogether displeased. Across the web, they've earned the nickname, Rugged Fails. LoL
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

seldomseensmith
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't overlook the Cooper Discoverer AT3. My F250 came stock with the BFG Rugged Trail (absolute garbage in snow/ice) and I could not wait to replace them - Got the AT3s last year. Have used Coopers in the past with very good results. I have 17" rims, but the tires I have now are load range E.

On edit - looks like you made a good choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Coopers. Of course as you mentioned not every one who reviews a tire carries a camper, and a lot of how you like the product will depend on what kind of driving conditions you encounter. As for me I am very happy with the AT3, and I do use my truck/camper in a wide variety of road environments.
The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Check out the Cooper Discoverer ATP tires, I just bought these for my Jeep Wrangler and they are great tires, very quiet and grip the road very well, cost was very good, cheap compared to Goodyear Wrangler tires..

The silica-based compound is designed to create a long lasting tread life for the Cooper Discoverer ATP tires, 55000 mile tread life..

http://tire-review-expert.com/cooper-discoverer-atp-review/

I went with these. Thanks timmac. The BFG's were (are) on a national back order. Nobody had more than two in stock and no clue when they would be.

So far, so good. Turns out that America's Tire sell the ATP's exclusively from Cooper. That's why they aren't listed on the Cooper website.

The ATP's were priced slightly less than both the AT3's (which I've found mixed reviews about) and the BFG's and have a slightly more aggressive, yet nicer looking tread pattern IMO.

ATP reviews seemed to be across the board positive. But, again, how many of those people haul a 3000lb.+ camper? Haven't put the camper on the truck to test them yet, but I like how they handle unloaded. Rides like an HT. They do not at all feel like an AT--at least at this point in the mileage life.

Total OTD was $921, mounted and balanced (not a RoadForce balance) with a $70 rebate that I probably won't get til who knows when. You never know with those rebate thingy's. Anyway, I'm happy. I'll post up how they do off-road, if I can ever get around to it.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

Graeman
Explorer
Explorer
Another tire to consider in the 18" is the Firestone Transforce AT load range E 275/70 18r. I am now on my 2nd set, as the first set went 67,000 miles with no issues and I still had a safe amount of tread left on the tires when I put the new ones on. I tow a 20ft trailer with my truck and I have traveled across the US in snow, ice, rain, sand, hard-packed dirt, potholed and hot paved roads. They are a quiet tire for the more aggressive tread, you can also order them in a street tread design. I can't compare fuel mileage with them as I installed the tires on my truck immediately after purchasing it - 2011 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax, 4x4.
I rotate the tires every 10,000 miles and all 4 tires had even wear across the tread. I felt confident on the ice packed highways in Montana and both North & South Dakotas during the winter months. I even pulled 3 people out of ditches and medians during my travels and my truck never fishtailed or felt out of control at any time. The tires cost me $1050 otd, which is much cheaper than the Michelins.

misskate
Explorer
Explorer
I have BFG All Terrain TA's on my Suburban and wouldn't run with any other tire. They are great in snow and mud, but too noisy to put on my PU. I went with some Goodyear POS cause I thought they would be ok but they clogged in mud and snow. I was planning on going with the All Terrain on my PU probably next year despite the noise, but now I might consider the Rugged Terrain.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'll look into them. Thanks Norsky
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
You may also want to look at the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx.

3 ply sidewall construction and their size 275/70R18 E tires rated at 3640 pounds. S/T Maxx Cooper Tires
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Will do, Mike
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Joe,
Looks like a nice tire for 18" rims. If you order them, let us know how they work out.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion. The cooper website indicates that the ATP is a SUV and small truck tire
with an SL rating, as in standard load. Max PSI of 35. I need to stick with an E 10 PR tire with no less than a 3500 lb. load cap. @80 PSI
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Cooper Discoverer ATP tires, I just bought these for my Jeep Wrangler and they are great tires, very quiet and grip the road very well, cost was very good, cheap compared to Goodyear Wrangler tires..

The silica-based compound is designed to create a long lasting tread life for the Cooper Discoverer ATP tires, 55000 mile tread life..

http://tire-review-expert.com/cooper-discoverer-atp-review/

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
chevor wrote:
Not many LT choices for 18" rims.

Tell me about it. Add to that, finding one with a satisfactory load rating. I've discovered not all E load tires are equal. There choices for 18's. i just had to look a little harder.
I think the Rugged Terrain fits the bill.

All things considered, including price, I eventually narrowed it down to these BFG's and the Maxxis Bravo's. Just wanted ask about them here before I pull the trigger.

This Maxxis tire appears to address the highway truck market specifically with their 770 HT's. Maxxis video clicky thingy

Click For Full-Size Photo.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Rugged trails are a highway tire almost exclusively. They are tough, last a long time and suck in snow/mud. The Rugged Terrains look to be slightly more aggressive but definately a pavement pounder tire which is perfect for camper hauling. Alot less tire wear vs an AT or MT.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold