cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Brother- Tag on your TC?

MrPhelps
Explorer
Explorer
"In the last few years traffic systems have been empowered with automated license-plate readers and various government entities have been putting cameras up everywhere, from automated and semi-automated "weigh stations" near the entrance to states down to the corner traffic light. "..

We just completed a trip to Eastern Canada and encountered expressways with toll roads (NY and Pennsylvania in particular) and upon exit there was a toll booth indicating they would read the plate and send a bill. There was not any other way to pay allowed, including using a credit card. I simply had to drive through.

Seems to me, if they want payment they can enable a way for you to pay on the spot, as I was willing to do... without accessing DMV or whatever new AI tools for something this benign.

However, I did not have my ALABAMA vehicle tag on my TC and it is well hidden under the camper overhang on the truck. My front plate honors the "Crimson Tide" so no way to tell from that. Waiting to see if they can figure me out. Its gonna be scary of they do.

..... "Automatic billing"... would be nice to automatically bill the government maintenance folks responsible for trees along the Blue Ridge and Skyline Parkways...Miles of low hanging branches, sometimes on both sides, dodging them until the one that finally cracked my HEKI skylight..
- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide
87 REPLIES 87

Charlie_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a truck camper in Michigan I made a copy of the plate, had it laminated at office max, and affixed it to the camper. Ever was stoped in the 10 years I had the rig including two Alaska trips.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
No, most of TC owners don't. Unless you live in a state that classifies pickup trucks as commercial vehicles like CA and I'm sure a few others.
Some states tag by registered gvw, some don't.

This thread is another great example of 9 pages of solutions to a problem that doesn't exist.
He!!, I haven't titled/ registered or bought tabs yet for the TC since 2013 (WA requires it). I'm not paying tax again on an old used clapped out piece of "cargo" and a yearly fee to allow it to sit in my shop 49 weeks out of the year, lol.
Somehow seem to have a spare current year sticker off of something to slap on the old tag on the camper.
There's a point of diminishing returns on some things and my roi on this is I'm about $3000 ahead of the game on the camper alone compared to what WA would have sucked out of me for the privlege of using my camper. That's a lot of fix it tickets for not having a tab on a camper, "IF" I was actually in a situation where a cop decided to run the camper tag.

More true than false..

Idaho is just weird about truck campers and registration..If you had a TC before 2009 it is cargo but if you bought one after 2009,it needs an RV sticker and needs to be titled..The truck plates go on the TC as there are no plates given out for a TC, but by gollie there is that yearly RV sticker that needs to be on the TC...I think that is for like forest service sites or something..I really do not understand why???

So my TC rides around in the back of the pickup going to the store or for a short fishing trip for the day or whatever..Why would I need an RV sticker as itis just cargo..

It's all a ploy to drain your pocket book it seems...

Motorhomes/fifth wheels travel trailers are all licenced with plates and you can't just renew the plates without renewing the RV sticker but the TC does not have plates, so I guess were on the honor system to renew the RV sticker...

Like I said..Idaho is weird about truck campers and registration.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
I can't carry a nationwide motor vehicle code book with me and stop at all state lines and re-do my stuff.

That's what truckers do.
Don't you have "commercial" in your truck registration? Most of TC owners do.

No, most of TC owners don't. Unless you live in a state that classifies pickup trucks as commercial vehicles like CA and I'm sure a few others.
Some states tag by registered gvw, some don't.

This thread is another great example of 9 pages of solutions to a problem that doesn't exist.
He!!, I haven't titled/ registered or bought tabs yet for the TC since 2013 (WA requires it). I'm not paying tax again on an old used clapped out piece of "cargo" and a yearly fee to allow it to sit in my shop 49 weeks out of the year, lol.
Somehow seem to have a spare current year sticker off of something to slap on the old tag on the camper.
There's a point of diminishing returns on some things and my roi on this is I'm about $3000 ahead of the game on the camper alone compared to what WA would have sucked out of me for the privlege of using my camper. That's a lot of fix it tickets for not having a tab on a camper, "IF" I was actually in a situation where a cop decided to run the camper tag.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
I can't carry a nationwide motor vehicle code book with me and stop at all state lines and re-do my stuff.

That's what truckers do.

No I don't. Don't really know what you are talking about. I don't drive commercially. My license plate is on my front bumper and rear bumper. If the law can't read it I guess they will pull me over if they want to. Hasn't happened yet.
Don't over think it. Just get in and drive.
Big brother indeed.
God bless Texas.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

Automated systems have also failed when cameras are used to count the number of axles. Just watch what happens when someone tows two vehicles on a flat bed trailer behind their truck...

At least California bridges have sensors build into the road to count the axles.
I had liftable tag on my motorhome and was able to run it paying car fee.

Bedlam
Many automated tolling systems use forward and rearward oriented cameras to capture plate images. Some are smart enough to match up ownership of your trailer and tow vehicle, while others will double bill you. If you borrow someone else's trailer or tow vehicle and hitch it to yours, you have a better chance of getting double billed. A friend of mine was triple billed for the same bridge toll because he was hauling a car on an open trailer and cameras picked up three different license plate numbers.

Automated systems have also failed when cameras are used to count the number of axles. Just watch what happens when someone tows two vehicles on a flat bed trailer behind their truck...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I'm pretty familiar with automated tolling systems and it's quite likely or almost certain you won't see a bill if no front plate and the back plate obscured under the camper overhang.

LOL....imagine how "obscured" a tow vehicle license plate is when under a 5th wheel, or obscured by a camper trailer ๐Ÿ˜„

โ€ฆ.interestingly, ~19 states (mostly eastern states) don't have a front license plate requirement. That's a lot of vehicles....
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:

That's what truckers do.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
otrfun wrote:
specta wrote:
Utah is where my vehicle and camper are registered so I will follow Utah State Laws and I really don't care about what other state's laws are . . .
Gotta wonder how law enforcement in your home state of UT would respond to someone telling them they could care less about UT's laws 'cause their vehicle is registered in another state :h

You're barking up a tree where there is no definitive answer. An example of legal confusion and consequences for giggles: Use plates as an example, since we're talking about it. If your state only required one, and you were driving in a state that required two, you could be legally stopped. But obviously wouldn't receive a ticket for the offense..because you are legal. Really is nothing you can do about not being issued two plates. Stop is legit of course, and other things could stem from that (perhaps you don't have insurance, required in the state that you are driving in, or you don't have a litter bag..). Law is gray; it's a guide to get the majority to do the right thing. Running around worrying about what if is a waste of time.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:
So should I move my plate around every time I cross a state line?

Naw, just be safe and stay at home. ๐Ÿ˜„

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
specta wrote:
Utah is where my vehicle and camper are registered so I will follow Utah State Laws and I really don't care about what other state's laws are . . .
Gotta wonder how law enforcement in your home state of UT would respond to someone telling them they could care less about UT's laws 'cause their vehicle is registered in another state :h

So should I move my plate around every time I cross a state line?
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Utah is where my vehicle and camper are registered so I will follow Utah State Laws and I really don't care about what other state's laws are.

I'll be dumbfounded if I ever get a ticket while traveling on another state.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
^^Not too sure about that. If it's legal in Texas, it's legal everywhere. I can't carry a nationwide motor vehicle code book with me and stop at all state lines and re-do my stuff.
I just get my butt in the seat, shut up, and drive.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive