cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bigfoot 2500 series on a short box

811Q
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know if anyone has issues with installing the Bigfoot 2500 series 9.4 or 9.6 on a short box (2500 or 3500)p/u
20 REPLIES 20

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed with the person above me. I am a novice on this issue but when doing my research, before buying both components to my TC rig, I concluded the same thing. It's not about CVWR.. it's about the Center of Gravity. Even if the truck can handle the weight, it's going to throw it off it's not properly centered/evenly distributed.

If you already have the truck, don't mess around.. get a short box camper. If you already have the camper, get the right truck.

And don't assume everyone is overloaded. That's dangerous no matter what you do to upgrade suspension, etc... Nothing you do will up the CVWR. Those mods just help with the feel of the drive and how the camper sits on the truck. Good luck! Bigfoots are the best!
2013 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel DRW Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless I missed it, it seems like the most obvious and most concerning issue at hand hasn't even been addressed... Center of Gravity! The weight concern could potentially be addressed through modifications but you can't change the center of gravity on a camper very easily. On my F350 Dually long bed the center of gravity of my Bigfoot 2500 25C106E is nearly centered over the rear axles. On a short bed your center of gravity marker is going to be behind the rear axle which isn't safe as your unloading your front wheels.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

mylundboat
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see from my profile I have enhanced my suspension. The airbags get me close to level. The torqlifts keep my overloads engaged to keep me from wallowing. The Hellwig Big Wig sway bar just keeps everything tight and strong. My tires are E rated at 3700lbs. It rides like a dream. I can drive it with one hand compared to white knuckles on my F-250. Make sure your air bags are single source filed, and you don't overfill them.
2013 Bigfoot 25C9.4 W/torklift FastGuns Hellwig Big Wig Sway bar,
2015 Ford F350 Diesel Shortbox with Goodyear airbags and Torklift Stable loads.

54suds
Explorer
Explorer

2001 BF tub dimensions which were changed in 2002 to accommodate truck mfg changes to truck bed design

Moderators I kept the photo large because the print is very hard to read when reduced
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
I run my bigfoot listed below. Was on a 2500* dodge before I got my 3500* megacab. Both trucks have done well. The 2500* had super springs and handled the camper well. I upgraded to the megacab for kid room in the back. Handles fine, added airbags, upper stableloads and a sway bar. Its a heavy camper though - you'll probably flirt with close to 4000lbs. I had Nitto 126LI tires on both trucks, made a big difference.

* I despise these terms. They're 1 spring difference in the older makes of Rams. You'll find some readings here that there is really no difference between the two and you can make a 2500 into a 3500 if you don't mind being "overloaded" according to GVWR.
Roamers of the back woods

2006 Ram Megacab SRW. 19.5" Visions
2010 Eagle Cap 850 - current
2005 2500 9.4 Bigfoot - sold
2000 Hawk Four Wheel Camper - sold

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
No reason to go to all caps. ๐Ÿ™‚ Bigfoots are heavy. You'll likely be over GVWR. It's up to you whether that's doable for you or not. For sure, people have carried heavier campers.

The biggest concern is the tire capacity. After that, you will probably need something to level the ride. That could be Stableloads, air bags, timbrens, or Supersprings or other spring changes.

There is very little difference between most 2500/250 and their 3500/350 other than weight rating. It does depend on the brand.

LOL!!!

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
one of the" real world " problems that MAY? cause u problems is the locations of the bump outs on the Bigfoot basement tub in relation to the trucks wheel well tub ? note a BF 9.4 sb has a overall floor length of 16-6 ,a Bf 9.4 lb has the same and so does a 9.6
SO why will one work but not the others ?????? they all use the same base tub length !!!!!!!! And years of my research has revealed no discernable difference to explain the reasoning for different classifications ?????????????
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

811Q
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you d3500ram, good advice

811Q
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you GeoBoy... this is what I have gathered. What I want and what I need make the difference. I've noticed an awful lot of truck campers being installed that are over their payload and modifying their trucks to make it work. It is answers like yours that need to be shared with folks who are looking for guidance. you answered my question, thank you

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
KevinHatfield wrote:
... E-rated 17" tires, ...

I have researched the heck out of 17" wheels and tire because that is what I have on mine. Basically from what I have learned is that there is very little for high payload capacities. Forget the "letter" ratings when it comes to weight carry abilities... not all "E" tires are the same. You need to go by Load Index(LI). Most stock 265/70/17 are LI 121 (about 3200 lbs). I have stepped up to a 285/17 with a 126 LI giving me a little over #3700

Wheels are another matter. I do not believe anyone here has been able to determine a wight capacity for them. A safe assumption is that factory wheels are rated no less than the tires that wrap them.

You have a decent truck, but even if you go to a better LI, most likely the wheels will be the weakest link.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't assume that everyone runs overloaded. It is not safe for you or other vehicles on the road to be overloaded.

811Q
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the caps. My job keeps my key board locked on caps, forgot to turn them off. Thank you d3500ram I believe for your feed back. I see a lot over modifications so I assume everyone is operating overloaded. This is why I asked Bigfoot truck camper w/2500 series 9.4/9.6 owners with short box trucks who are using 3/4 tons. d3500ram, I have a 2500HD with a payload of 3300lbs, E-rated 17" tires, 6.6 bed. It would appear to me with the blogs provided, regardless with what I do "I am over weight". Thanks everyone for your input. Bigfoot 2500 9.4/9.6 truck camper owners with 6 foot bed you can email me kevinhatfield001@yahoo.com I would like to know if you are having any problems, thanks

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, first post and you are shouting. Not good.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Mr__Patches
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 2007 Bigfoot 25C94 on a 2008 F-250 short bed without any problems. I have air bags to level it out. The truck was also special ordered with the camping and trailer towing packages installed. That added the overload springs and bigger sway bars. Came with 18" tires.

Rich
BunFest Express II