Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bike rack options for a TT / TV

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Aerolite 718fd ( 4000lbs loaded ) pulled by 2013 F150 Eco Boost

We are currently carrying our 2 bikes in the truck bed which is ok but inconvenient. wondering if someone has a good option out there for us. Read some threads and can forget about using back bumper on the TT as there is none.

I see 5 options, not in any particular order:

1- Remove spare tire ( there is a spare tire mount on rear of TT and I am guessing someone makes a rack to fit it ), haul it in truck bed, install bike rack in its place. Anyone know how well these spare tire holders are attached to the wall of a TT? I am thinking it depends on the manufacturer and maybe day of week it was built. Mine appears solid but of course it doesn't have two bikes bouncing up and down on it either ๐Ÿ™‚ Don't like not being able to see what is going on with the bikes while driving.

2-Install a rack on TT over the propane tank location. I have seen these online and if solid this may be my first choice based on what little I know so far. Would be out of the way and can still get to battery. Can see from truck if there is a problem of some sort while driving.

3-Install a rack over the hitch on rear of the truck. I think I have also seen these online. If solid would work ok but I think would be in the way more. Also not real crazy about bikes bouncing around the back end of my new truck.

4-Continue as is and lay them in truck bed.

5-other ideas??

Comments and suggestions appreciated. Info on particular makes / brands that are dependable would be nice.

Thanks,
81 REPLIES 81

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
if this is the frame under the trailer the bolt on hitch hitch is every bit as bad as using the bumper mountโ€ฆ keep the bikes inside the TT or somewhere on the TVโ€ฆ

While this picture is cool it can be misleading.

The 'box' of the RV provides a lot of stength to the RV - the major portion l would bet - so to me, a picture of the chassis by itself does not make the case for not mounting the bikes at the rear. l do agree that a bolt-on hitch at the rear is a bad idea but not because the frame is a lightweight one. The failure is typically localized to the bolted-on mounting location or the light fillet welds between the bumper and the longitudinal runners (girders) of the frame. If a hitch assembly were properly welded to these girders there would be no strength problem.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:

Way to many people do way too much with these light duty trailersโ€ฆ

That I agree with. If it's a barely strong enough frame them it doesn't matter, but on a decent sized/place frame a custom welded hitch should have minimal impact, if any... Just depends on the model I suppose.

Personally I am not worried about having a custom 2" receiver welded to/in my 8" I beam frame (I have seen OEM rear hitches on smaller frames), but in the OP's case he will need to evaluate the frame on his TT.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Swedish_Steel wrote:
This article provided lots of option ideas with supplier references and photos.

This topic comes up every so often and the same discussions happen over and over, which is understandable.

However the link you provided is probably the one most useful bit of information to date - thank you for that.

I do have the ladder bike rack and am yet to use it but have 'test fitted' two hybrid bikes on it and it looks and works fine. My problem is slightly different. I store the RV at a storage lot and my present problem is what to do with the truck's hitch-mounted carrier after bringing the bikes to the RV and mounting them on the ladder. I prefer not to bring the hitch on the trip but may well have to do just that. It is bulky, not light and would be of little use while on the trip.

To the OP - good luck on your quest. Mounting on the spare tire bracket is probably a terrible idea since the pry-out load on the back wall of the trailer is much higher due to the increased standoff distance and likely much greater dynamic load. If you have the clearance then the Arvika type mount is probably the best bet for you. l personally view front mounts on the track as a last resort because of impacts on air flow, visibility and the fact that the bikes in this location are excellent bug catchers. On top of that you many have to extend the draw-bar to clear the bumper and that again causes increased load and springing at the hitch. But that just my opinion - others seem to be content with that arrangement.

As an aside, and in response to the (perhaps flippant?) comment that the only real use for the rear ladder is to hold a bike rack - l was very glad to have mine when I wanted to go up on the roof to install my Fantastic Vent vent cover while on a recent camping trip. No need to have a separate ladder.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
This is an issue I have followed closely on these boards - never finding an option I was happy with. Here's the summary as I have come to understand it (from front to rear).

Hitch on front of truck - stable and easily loaded, but could effect cooling, impact vision, or lead to a lot of bugs and junk on the bikes from traveling.

Bed of the truck - we don't have this option, so I haven't looked into it much.

Over the trailer tongue - solid and stable, reasonable to load, but limited in how many it can handle, and expensive.

In the trailer - solid place in regards to loading, but a pain to load/unload and bouncing inside could damage the trailer and/or bikes.

Rear bumper - bad idea. Leverage causes excessive stress on the bumper that it is not equipped to handle.

Rear ladder - this is a debated topic. Some people are comfortable with it, some aren't. It is reasonably priced, but you won't want to load too many bikes on the trailer and you won't be able to see them when travelling.

Mounted to rear frame - this seems feasible in some set-ups, but not as much as others.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
ah64id wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:
There is no good way to haul bikes on the rear of a TT, it doesnโ€™t matter how many do it and get away with it, or how you strap them downโ€ฆ mount them close enough for the handlebars to poke holes in the back of the trailer and the weight is still cantilevered far behind the axle and dynamically over stresses the chassis and suspensionsโ€ฆ

Five bikes, a 4 wheeler and fire wood sound like itโ€™s time to get a toy hauler thatโ€™s why the make them, to fill those needsโ€ฆ

I think you are far exaggerating the possible stress. 5 bikes just past the bumper is nothing compared to a full black tank at the back of the frame in terms or stress on the suspension and frame, yes it's closer, but far heavier and it sloshes..

Toy haulers are over priced for poor quality, see it time and time again. I would love one, if you didn't have to spend 2x the cash to get the same quality.

mine may be a minority view but I donโ€™t believe I am exaggerating at all... take it for what its worth or ignore itโ€ฆ
I have seen many chassis full of stress cracks to completely broken (so called) I beamsโ€ฆ all most all of them were used for hauling something on the rearโ€ฆ evidenced by the crudely to commercially made hitches and bumper receiver riggingsโ€ฆ those stresses effect the entire chassis even the tongueโ€ฆ I have hauled millions of gallons of liquid loads and would argue a normal RV black tank near the rear is a bogus argument in making comparisons hereโ€ฆ but thats for another day...

Sure it always blamed on something elseโ€ฆ Of course no respectable owner would ever admit to overloading anythingโ€ฆ it will always be Lippert's fault or the trailer mfg.โ€™s. fault, never something self-inflictedโ€ฆ :B

You have made some good recommendations to others about TVโ€™s maybe you need to read your own words you have suggested to another poster, just invert the words trailer and truckโ€ฆ

โ€œYou got a trailer for the future, get a truck for the future too.

Way too many people do way too much with 1/2 tons.โ€

If only these 1950โ€™s trailer chassis and running gear could compare with that of the ยฝ ton trucks on the road todayโ€ฆ While I wouldnโ€™t argue the cost of the toy hauler, like the truck you should have a trailer for the future to, or at least for the presentโ€ฆ

Way to many people do way too much with these light duty trailersโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Front hitch receiver on truck with Swagman bike rack has worked very well for us. Over 15000 miles in last 3 years. Bikes are very stable. No cooling issues in 80+ F temps. Very easy to load and unload bikes since no lifting up high.

Also - easy to take bikes to trails if desired.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
There is no good way to haul bikes on the rear of a TT, it doesnโ€™t matter how many do it and get away with it, or how you strap them downโ€ฆ mount them close enough for the handlebars to poke holes in the back of the trailer and the weight is still cantilevered far behind the axle and dynamically over stresses the chassis and suspensionsโ€ฆ

Five bikes, a 4 wheeler and fire wood sound like itโ€™s time to get a toy hauler thatโ€™s why the make them, to fill those needsโ€ฆ

I think you are far exaggerating the possible stress. 5 bikes just past the bumper is nothing compared to a full black tank at the back of the frame in terms or stress on the suspension and frame, yes it's closer, but far heavier and it sloshes..

Toy haulers are over priced for poor quality, see it time and time again. I would love one, if you didn't have to spend 2x the cash to get the same quality.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
At the bike shop you can get this small clamp type thing for about $20. I forget what they are called and my tech person is asleep. If your truck bed is free, the thing just fastens in bed and you take front bike tires off and mount front fork quickly to the "clampie thingie". Or you can mount the clampie thingies to a board and if you have a fold-down dinette in camper or other free area, set the bikes on the folded down cushions (using old blankets to protect stuff) and clamp onto the board. Wrap the tires in old sheets or something; use some foam pieces or pillows to protect stuff. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll ask him what the things are called.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
if this is the frame under the trailer the bolt on hitch hitch is every bit as bad as using the bumper mountโ€ฆ keep the bikes inside the TT or somewhere on the TVโ€ฆ

Ultra-lite Frame
Cub and Aerolite feature an ultra-lite
European-style chassis. This durable
chassis is 400 pounds lighter than
the traditional box-style chassis,
which reduces weight and increases
cargo capacity. The frame features a
powder coat over E-coat paint finish,
backed by a lifetime rust through
warranty.
An Aerolite Exclusive

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I have the need for 5 bikes, and the bed is often full of firewood and a 4Wheeler so where to put the bikes...

I decided to go with a Curt 5 bike rack and will have a custom trailer hitch welded to the frame of the trailer. My intent is to have the receiver be even with the spare tires, and be usable for a 2nd trailer or bike rack.

I am going custom over bolt on for 2 reasons, the first is strength and the second is that is was cheaper than a bolt on when I had one made on my old TT (purpose of towing, not bikes).
-John

3_0charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Over the tanks is the way to go. Bikes are always in view . No bouncing easy to load and unload.
I had an Arvika rack on my TT for 4 years. Same rack is now adapted to mount on my 5'er

Arvika bike rack,

Check out images
This. Love mine.

Arvika
John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
If a hard cover over your truck bed is something you would consider, I have mounted 2 biketites for front forks and Yakima trays(~ 7" long)for the rear wheels on my ARE lid. I like the lid to secure my camping stuff (and the front wheels)and can use the bike mounts whether trailering or not. Send me a private message if you want more details. Pretty simple to install but reinforcement of the fiberglass lid is important. My bikes are old and heavy but this has worked flawlessly since 1996.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Yakima and Thule make bars that span your bed, and a clamp system to hold bikes on the bars. So rather than lay in the bed, the bikes "float" above it. I'm contemplating a set of my truck, or a front hitch. Front hitch has the appeal of being able to "cheat" at backing the TT into a tight spot... just unhook from the rear receiver and hook to the front one ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

kend40
Explorer
Explorer
riven
There is one other option that I have seen. It appears from your post that you have an open truck bed? Both Thule and Yakima make a bar that spreads from side to side in the bed and clamps/locks into the spread position. On this crossbar they mount upright "bike tights" and can also mount front wheel carriers since the front wheel has to come off to lock into a bike tight. Yakima also makes a unit that can clamp to the side rail of the bed (unless there is a rail for a tonneau cover...this was my reason for not going with it!) it can lock to the truck and lock the bike to the side rail. Take a look through the Yakima site, some nice stuff there.
Kend40
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost TV
2013 Kodiak 242rbsl TT