Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bike rack options for a TT / TV

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Aerolite 718fd ( 4000lbs loaded ) pulled by 2013 F150 Eco Boost

We are currently carrying our 2 bikes in the truck bed which is ok but inconvenient. wondering if someone has a good option out there for us. Read some threads and can forget about using back bumper on the TT as there is none.

I see 5 options, not in any particular order:

1- Remove spare tire ( there is a spare tire mount on rear of TT and I am guessing someone makes a rack to fit it ), haul it in truck bed, install bike rack in its place. Anyone know how well these spare tire holders are attached to the wall of a TT? I am thinking it depends on the manufacturer and maybe day of week it was built. Mine appears solid but of course it doesn't have two bikes bouncing up and down on it either ๐Ÿ™‚ Don't like not being able to see what is going on with the bikes while driving.

2-Install a rack on TT over the propane tank location. I have seen these online and if solid this may be my first choice based on what little I know so far. Would be out of the way and can still get to battery. Can see from truck if there is a problem of some sort while driving.

3-Install a rack over the hitch on rear of the truck. I think I have also seen these online. If solid would work ok but I think would be in the way more. Also not real crazy about bikes bouncing around the back end of my new truck.

4-Continue as is and lay them in truck bed.

5-other ideas??

Comments and suggestions appreciated. Info on particular makes / brands that are dependable would be nice.

Thanks,
81 REPLIES 81

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Michigansandzilla wrote:
So to sum it up when you don't have the option of using a truck bed:

Mounting a hitch to the back of TT can cause frame fractures.
Mounting a rack over the propane tanks can cause a dent in the tailgate if you turn too hard and it's difficult to turn off the propane.
Mounting a hitch to the front of TV will drastically reduce airflow and can overheat the engine.
Mounting to the roof of TV is inconvenient and difficult but doesn't cause any major problems.
Stowing bikes in TT can cause interior damage, (I know this from experience).

Is that correct?

I think you are pretty much on with that comment. I am still thinking on this project as it could involve a good bit of money and I want to get it right. My truck is so tall I would never try to get bikes on off it. Also, I am trying to solve two issues at once. Carrying 2 kayaks AND two bicycles.

I like searfoss's pcv bike rack and its cost problem is I have a short bed with a tool box so would not work without removing the front wheels, although that may still work. going to be doing some measuring / thinking for a while.

If anyone with a short bed p/u and tool box is hauling kayaks and bikes I would be interested in knowing how, unless the bikes are on top the TV, on front of it, or on rear of TT. I know that eliminates quite a few possibilities.

searfoss
Explorer
Explorer
I ran into this issue years ago when I scratched the woodwork in the TT taking a bike out.

My buddy and I made bike racks out of PVC pipe for 20 bucks, I customized mine to allow me to carry wood in bins between the bikes. Been using it for years.

Will

Poconos Pennsylvania
2016 Kodiak 286 BHSL
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear

RIP Mike, we miss you so much

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
So to sum it up when you don't have the option of using a truck bed:

Mounting a hitch to the back of TT can cause frame fractures.
Mounting a rack over the propane tanks can cause a dent in the tailgate if you turn too hard and it's difficult to turn off the propane.
Mounting a hitch to the front of TV will drastically reduce airflow and can overheat the engine.
Mounting to the roof of TV is inconvenient and difficult but doesn't cause any major problems.
Stowing bikes in TT can cause interior damage, (I know this from experience).

Is that correct?

No perfect answer here. Just like anything else, I guess we all pick and choose based on our own needs.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem with the front is the blockage of airflow, it's more than most people think.

I have enough gauges and OBDII monitors on my pickup to tell when I have something on the front. I won't ever do anything but a winch again.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
quality mountain bikes cost thousands! Carry them on roof of tv, or front hitch only.

When we wrecked in 2012 i had $3000 worth of bikes on a front hitch get destroyed. Insurance paid for them. I would never use any other system, or invest in a camper mod.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
We are happy with our Arvika rack and for us it was the best option. I put a review at http://traveltrailsail.com/?p=103

Only a few downsides. You would have to take the bikes off to access the gas tanks. For example, if you were going through a tunnel like the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, you need to turn the gas off. Also watch out when backing - we now take our bikes down before backing into a camp site as if you turn too hard you can get a dent in the tailgate from the rack.

Let me know if you have questions.

the e-man
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
michigansandzilla wrote:
We're looking at mounting to our TV roof, mounting to the front of the TV, or mounting a hitch to the back of TT so the rack can be moved to the TV when we ride our bikes off site. For that reason, over the propane tank racks aren't an option.

Lantley wrote:

For what it's worth the Arvika rack can be transferred to the car as well

Lantley speaks the truth...Arvika can go from over the tanks to your TV hitch receiver.

Do you happen to know if they make a rack for 5 bikes? 2-4 seems to be the norm.
2018 Ford F150 FX4

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
michigansandzilla wrote:
We're looking at mounting to our TV roof, mounting to the front of the TV, or mounting a hitch to the back of TT so the rack can be moved to the TV when we ride our bikes off site. For that reason, over the propane tank racks aren't an option.

Lantley wrote:

Lantley speaks the truth...Arvika can go from over the tanks to your TV hitch receiver.

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
michigansandzilla wrote:
eluwak wrote:
In the end I just use rooftop racks for the big bikes and chuck the kids bikes in the back of the TV.

How is it with the big bikes on the roof? Is it a PITA to get them on/off?

We're looking for bike racks as well. We're a family of five with an Expedition and no room inside the TV to store bikes. We're looking at mounting to our TV roof, mounting to the front of the TV, or mounting a hitch to the back of TT so the rack can be moved to the TV when we ride our bikes off site. For that reason, over the propane tank racks aren't an option.
On top of the TV seems to me to be the most secure area, but we are wondering how difficult it is to get them on and off the truck.

If I were a little more... uh... "athletic" then it would probably be easier. But yeah, it's kind of a PITA sometimes. I use a ladder to get them up and down.

The carriers were given to me so all I had to do was buy the mounts so they would go on the factory rails. I was seriously considering going with the front hitch because I also have a receiver rack, but it was half the cost for the mounts, and we're on a bit of a budget ATM. I may eventually switch because when the kids grow bigger I'm not going to be mounting any more bikes up top.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
eluwak wrote:
In the end I just use rooftop racks for the big bikes and chuck the kids bikes in the back of the TV.

How is it with the big bikes on the roof? Is it a PITA to get them on/off?

We're looking for bike racks as well. We're a family of five with an Expedition and no room inside the TV to store bikes. We're looking at mounting to our TV roof, mounting to the front of the TV, or mounting a hitch to the back of TT so the rack can be moved to the TV when we ride our bikes off site. For that reason, over the propane tank racks aren't an option.
On top of the TV seems to me to be the most secure area, but we are wondering how difficult it is to get them on and off the truck.
2018 Ford F150 FX4

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
My $.02 would suggest to just mount them in the bed and get an elevated rack for the kayaks.

I wanted to do the Arvika racks, or something like them, but they were really expensive to me. In the end I just use rooftop racks for the big bikes and chuck the kids bikes in the back of the TV.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also would like to mount bikes on the front of the RV. I'm going to look into the idea of putting them on top of a metal battery box.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
riven1950 wrote:
Thanks John for the info. I had not thought of the advantage of using the bike rack in other scenarios ( the way yours is set up ). Something to think about for sure!

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

forthefunofit94
Explorer
Explorer
Others have mentioned the Thule racks in the bed of the truck. I have a cheaper version that works just as well. I bought a 2 x 8. In the bed of the truck there is a slot that I insert the board. I bought the (ends) that the forks attach to and mounted them on the board. This was only about $55 for the setup. It has worked great for nearly 14 years.
David & Karen Castellon
2015 F150 XLT
302 w/tow & anti-sway package
Backup camera & brake controller
EQUAL-I-ZER hitch

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks John for the info. I had not thought of the advantage of using the bike rack in other scenarios ( the way yours is set up ). Something to think about for sure!