Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bike rack options for a TT / TV

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Aerolite 718fd ( 4000lbs loaded ) pulled by 2013 F150 Eco Boost

We are currently carrying our 2 bikes in the truck bed which is ok but inconvenient. wondering if someone has a good option out there for us. Read some threads and can forget about using back bumper on the TT as there is none.

I see 5 options, not in any particular order:

1- Remove spare tire ( there is a spare tire mount on rear of TT and I am guessing someone makes a rack to fit it ), haul it in truck bed, install bike rack in its place. Anyone know how well these spare tire holders are attached to the wall of a TT? I am thinking it depends on the manufacturer and maybe day of week it was built. Mine appears solid but of course it doesn't have two bikes bouncing up and down on it either ๐Ÿ™‚ Don't like not being able to see what is going on with the bikes while driving.

2-Install a rack on TT over the propane tank location. I have seen these online and if solid this may be my first choice based on what little I know so far. Would be out of the way and can still get to battery. Can see from truck if there is a problem of some sort while driving.

3-Install a rack over the hitch on rear of the truck. I think I have also seen these online. If solid would work ok but I think would be in the way more. Also not real crazy about bikes bouncing around the back end of my new truck.

4-Continue as is and lay them in truck bed.

5-other ideas??

Comments and suggestions appreciated. Info on particular makes / brands that are dependable would be nice.

Thanks,
81 REPLIES 81

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
Camping world is now selling the Bike Bunk (over the tanks) for $250 but you have to supply your own hitch mount type bike rack. ....
Link to CW Bike Bunk sale

It can be bought for $30 cheaper here but for me it is still too expensive. For all that money and you still have to supply your own hitch! It would have been a good solution for me since I store my RV at a storage lot and would have to bring the bikes with the hitch-mounted rack anyway, which I won't have to worry about after moving the bikes over to the ladder-mounted rack.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

4Powells
Explorer
Explorer
This is what we use. I know you wanted to get them out of the bed but this works great!

http://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Bike-Racks/Softride/SR26457.html
DW, 2 DS's and Lily the Bishon Frisee
2006 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew
2015 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:

riven1950....you are welcome. I think You and I are on the same exploratory path.
I really like the over the tanks idea. But we have old Schwinn bikes and don't want to spend $600 or more on a rack for bikes probably not worth $25 each. But we love to take our favorite old bikes camping with us.

I have some concerns about the stability of the wooden platform that Hab33 built, and am interested to hear back when he takes it out this year. If it works well, It would certainly be cheaper than the Trailor Tray, but I may go that way anyway for the option to carry a genny or a large tote.

Yeah, we are headed in the same direction I think. We had a nice day here today and I replaced my roof vents. I also spent some time looking at the TT over the tank issue. I am going to build the platform, kind of a version of what you sent the link on. I am thinking of using treated plywood for a decking on the platform and use deck screws and maybe even some construction glue for stability. I think it will work. If it doesn't pan out for the bike rack I'll at least have a deck for a cooler, genny or whatever. I went to Lowes to pick up materials for a phone / tablets charging station I am building and looked for the brackets to hold the 2x4s. Could not find any at Lowes or HD so guess I will order them. I figure with wood I can customize it to my TT rather than buying something for 500.00 plus and probably still having to adapt it. One thing for sure it won't cost as much. Can't see putting my 10 yr old bike worth 35.00 on a 500.00 rack.

As soon as I get the brackets I will get to it. Will let you know how it is going.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping world is now selling the Bike Bunk (over the tanks) for $250 but you have to supply your own hitch mount type bike rack. If you already have a hitch mount, this is perhaps a good solution. But if you don't already have a hitch mount, then adding the price of a good quality bike rack would put total $ outlay in the neighborhood of the Arvika, which is a much better system, in my opinion.
Link to CW Bike Bunk sale

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:
dewey02...thanks for the " wood projects " link. As a licensed contractor I can relate to those for sure. I was looking at building a wooden platform for the bikes over the tanks, now I have a place to start.

riven1950....you are welcome. I think You and I are on the same exploratory path.
I really like the over the tanks idea. But we have old Schwinn bikes and don't want to spend $600 or more on a rack for bikes probably not worth $25 each. But we love to take our favorite old bikes camping with us.

I have some concerns about the stability of the wooden platform that Hab33 built, and am interested to hear back when he takes it out this year. If it works well, It would certainly be cheaper than the Trailor Tray, but I may go that way anyway for the option to carry a genny or a large tote.

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
Heartland RV offers a pull out bumper rack option for bikes etc. We are looking a the North Trail unit for possible upgrade.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited w/Tow package & 3.73 Rear end
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy
2015 Keystone Outback Terrain 250TRS
DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
michigansandzilla wrote:
So to sum it up when you don't have the option of using a truck bed:

Mounting a hitch to the back of TT can cause frame fractures.
Mounting a rack over the propane tanks can cause a dent in the tailgate if you turn too hard and it's difficult to turn off the propane.
Mounting a hitch to the front of TV will drastically reduce airflow and can overheat the engine.
Mounting to the roof of TV is inconvenient and difficult but doesn't cause any major problems.
Stowing bikes in TT can cause interior damage, (I know this from experience).

Is that correct?

No perfect answer here. Just like anything else, I guess we all pick and choose based on our own needs.

I can only speak for the Arvika tongue mounted rack because that is what I own. You can access LP tanks easily if bikes are not on rack. Rack folds up and tank cover can be removed as normal.
I did cut an access panel into the rear of my plastic propane cover to access tank when bikes are on rack. Cutting an access panel is a very simple effective solution to accessing valves.
I towed my TT with a Hensley Arrow hitch which gave me 12" more clearance between trailer and truck and eliminated any turning issues
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a swagman bike rackever since i bought my trailer in 2012. have had zero issues. Good friends of ours also use one with the same result.

I love this bike rack as I can load and unload the bikes in a matter of seconds.

I removed the spare tire and carrier and just carry the tire in the covered bed of my truck during camping season. The two bikes I carry, combined, probably weigh less the the spare. If anything im carrying less weight.

Im sure the bike rack police will tell you differently.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02...thanks for the " wood projects " link. As a licensed contractor I can relate to those for sure. I was looking at building a wooden platform for the bikes over the tanks, now I have a place to start.

3_0charlie
Explorer
Explorer
That's the Thule RV rack mounting install.
John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
I found another interesting solution today at the CG... There was a TT pulling in that had these horizontal rails on the back of unit, and attached to the rails was a multi-bike carrier. Looked really nice, but not having a ton of luck looking for it at the moment.

2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are some additional options: Clicky

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Today was the first time putting the bikes on the Suburban... I like the Thule rack I had on the cap of the F150 better (These factory cross rails are VERY flexy). Getting them up and down wasn't too bad, but if I had a third it would be the end of me ๐Ÿ™‚

2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

3_0charlie
Explorer
Explorer
502_Jimmy wrote:
Michigansandzilla wrote:

Mounting a rack over the propane tanks can cause a dent in the tailgate if you turn too hard and it's difficult to turn off the propane.
Mounting to the roof of TV is inconvenient and difficult but doesn't cause any major problems.

For the record, I can turn as tight as I need to and access my tanks shut offs with the rack mounted and bikes installed.

John
Ditto here - no problems accessing the shut offs, but I did dent my Expy' cargo door after a tight turn, but no issues with the Sierra.

As for man-handling the bikes on top of the Expy, yeah. No fun - especially the center bike.
John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

502_Jimmy
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
Michigansandzilla wrote:
So to sum it up when you don't have the option of using a truck bed:

Mounting a hitch to the back of TT can cause frame fractures.
Mounting a hitch to the front of TV will drastically reduce airflow and can overheat the engine.
Stowing bikes in TT can cause interior damage, (I know this from experience).

Is that correct?

I think you are pretty much on with that comment. I am still thinking on this project as it could involve a good bit of money and I want to get it right. My truck is so tall I would never try to get bikes on off it. Also, I am trying to solve two issues at once. Carrying 2 kayaks AND two bicycles.

I like searfoss's pcv bike rack and its cost problem is I have a short bed with a tool box so would not work without removing the front wheels, although that may still work. going to be doing some measuring / thinking for a while.

If anyone with a short bed p/u and tool box is hauling kayaks and bikes I would be interested in knowing how, unless the bikes are on top the TV, on front of it, or on rear of TT. I know that eliminates quite a few possibilities.

For the record, I can turn as tight as I need to and access my tanks shut offs with the rack mounted and bikes installed.

John