cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike racks

Pig-Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any good ideas on a bike rack, need one that will hold two bicycles. I have heard good things about one that bolts to the A-Frame and I have also been told that the ones that fit the back bumper can cause problems. The one that bolts to the A-Frame I'm guessing would hold the bikes over the LP tanks. Any thoughts?
2007 2500HD Chevy
2008 28ft Dutchmen
10 REPLIES 10

gazingm42
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a picture.

gazingm42
Explorer
Explorer
We did not want to put them on the bumper for too many reasons.

What we did is used our dinette area to install the bikes.

When you remove the seats we flipped over the wood seats. Installed the fork
mount into the wood seats. Then in the rear put to small pipe 1/2 clamps. Secured these with bolts to the wood using T-nuts. Then put the forks in the front clamp. Used cords to hold the rear down with the clamps.

Then repeated the process 4 times, but flipping the direction of each bike.
Then made sure the bolts were below the wood surface so when the seats were flipped over there was not issue with the dinette seats.

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
I recently installed a Curt front mount hitch on my Expedition for the sole purpose of attaching a bike rack. I chose the Hollywood SportRider SE2 because it held the bike by the wheels, which I think makes for a lower height of the mounted bike:

The bike rack folds up when not being used. It normally would fold to a perpendicular position, but couldn't because of the bumper. So I drilled new holes for the retaining pin to hold the rack about 2" away from the bumper:

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

Pig-Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
We installed a front hitch for that purpose.

I have not thought about this , but i like the idea!
2007 2500HD Chevy
2008 28ft Dutchmen

Pig-Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Since you have a TT and a truck, why not the bed. That's where ours go.

truck bed is full of other stuff
2007 2500HD Chevy
2008 28ft Dutchmen

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is the 4 bike bumper one it goes in a 2 inch reciever hitch I put one on the bumper of the 5th wheel and that way we can move it to the truck and the suburban. Have had it for 3 years with no problems. 2 mountain bikes and 2 kids bikes.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a front hitch for that purpose.

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
Install a 2 inch receiver on the rear attached to the frame then use any bike rack designed to fit a 2 inch.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have a TT and a truck, why not the bed. That's where ours go.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Not bike people here, but have been around long enough to know NOT to consider one that attaches to the bumper. Easiest and least $$ would be to put them in the bed of the truck unless that's already spoken for. Some folks have built racks to hold them securely either out of wood or larger PVC. Sure you'll hear more about the other types available. Happy camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!