Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought the Camper now I need a truck

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,

It has been a while since I posted.

My wife and I purchased a 2017 Jayco 34RSBS travel trailer.

We love it. However, I don't have a truck that can pull it.

I borrowed a friends F350 to get it to the campground and I am looking to purchase a good used truck by mid May.

The TT is 10900 empty. We have about 500 pounds of stuff in the TT.

I need a 4 door truck, since we will be taking our German Sheperd with us. I am also going to need an 8 foot bed so we can load the Golf Cart.

I am concerned about the EGR issue with the F250's. I have seen where some are bulletproofed and others have had the EGR delete.

I have also looked at the Ram 3500.

I want diesel.

I would appreciate any and all input from personal experience on the F250 and the Ram 3500. Also if there is a Chevy that can do the job, please feel free to post.

It just seems that there are more F250's available in my area.

Thanks in advance.

I will be using a weight distribution hitch with the camper.

Tom in Virginia
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight
19 REPLIES 19

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
That's 1 ton territory but feel free to buy higher.

Registration will kill ya though...
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go With a 2012 and up F250 diesel.

I would avoid the 03-11 Ford Diesel. The only reason I included the 2011 is because I do not tend to buy first year models and there was some teething issues with the fuel pump in 2011.

Ram..hard to beat the 03-06 ish 5.9 Cummins.

I personally would avoid any of the big three that had the DPF only. I'd try for one that has both the DPF and the DEF. typically that means the 2011's ish and up models.

Google is your friend as my years are just running from memory.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks downtheroad! I didn't want to be first to break the news to the OP! My thoughts exactly. At 11000 pounds dry, 3500 or f350 is a must.

OP: You may have to get outside of your home area to find a suitable truck. Nothing wrong with that. Start with an internet search "Long Bed, F350, Crew Cab" and see what and were something turns up.

That's exactly how I ended up getting my 3500 duly diesel Silverado. Took a drive to the dealership (it was a Sunday and they were closed), drove around the lot until we found it. Call, left a message. Next morning called again, mad an appointment for a test Drive on Tuesday after work and asked if I could tow my trailer with it. Tuesday after work, hitched up the camper, went to the dealer, they let me slap on the hitch, went for a 10 mile drive towing the trailer, returned. Unhitched, put the hitch back on my original truck, went inside and signed the dotted line. I asked for running boards to be installed, which they did with no extra cost, and said I could pick it up in 2 days. 2 days later, returned, running boards on, all cleaned up, got the tour, the On-Star activation and drove her home! And what a joy to tow that trailer! It's been a honeymoon now for 3 years! Gosh I love that truck! Tows magnificent!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you want a Ford, choose a 2011 or newer with the 6.7 diesel.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the later diesels...Ford, GM, Ram...
but with a 11000 lb DRY trailer...absolutely go with a 350/3500.

Congrats, andEnjoy your new trailer
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro