cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake problems on my Aljo

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 06 aljo TT with a brake problem. I can hook it up and adjust the controller and all is fine. Then the next time I hook it up and the brakes will lock up. I have to readjust it all over again. Then the next time I hook it up it is way off again. I got a different pickup and the problem is the same. Then I got a tekansha p2 controller still the same. I installed a new hookup cord on the trailer and inspected all the wiring and magnets on the trailer and all looks good. The only thing I don't know about is the break away switch. Could a problem with the switch cause this constant big change in power settings each time I hook up?
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna
3 REPLIES 3

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the break away switch was always on it would completely drain the battery so there would be no extra voltage going to the brakes.

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. If the controller is not activated the voltage at the magnets should be zero correct? If the controller says 6 volts should all the magnets be getting 6 volts? I did see a replacement break away switch at tractor supply but it has three wires and mine only has 2. you could be on to something. When I checked the wires and magnets I cleaned the brake dust and packed the wheel bearings. Only one trip and there was a lot of new dust.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to measure voltage at the brake assemblies. MY WAG is that your emergency break-away switch is always "on" and sending limited voltage to the brakes. When you use the controller, the added voltage locks up the brakes.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton