cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Budget diesel truck mods: GM Duramax edition

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
First and foremost let me say that if you are concerned with warranty then this thread is not for you. Just hit the back button and move on to the next thread if you are concerned about warranty or don't care to mod your truck past stock power levels.

Continuing the diesel mods for a certain budget series from the Cummins last month(LINK) and the Ford series a few months ago LINK.

Being the only short stroke HD diesel, the Duramax is able to rev high(for a diesel) to create some impressive horsepower numbers. Just adding an EFI tuner can make what is already a quick truck even quicker. Here are some ways to increase the power out of your Duramax and supporting mods to ensure you can continue to make that power for years to come. Unfortunately for the new L5P owners, the ECM is still yet to be cracked, and it might make tuning a little more expensive just like it does with the current Cummins ECM's that need to be unlocked before tuning. However, you can add "plug-and-play" modules as stated in the LML article.

Enjoy!

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LB7 DURAMAX

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LLY DURAMAX

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LBZ DURAMAX

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LMM DURAMAX

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LML DURAMAX
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
8 REPLIES 8

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
73guna wrote:
EPA is cracking down on tuners.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/efi-live/963761-no-more-idaho-rob-tunes.html

Rob tuned my wifes truck, real good clean tunes.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
No way your picking up 3-4MPG with a simple plug and play. That is a pipe dream... Only way your going to see those kind of gains is by completly removing all emissions equipment and run a delete tune.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
FishOnOne wrote:
A Plug in Play module for the LP5 gains 3-4 mpg is pretty impressive.

It's an L5P.

And who supposedly makes a plug and play module for them?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
EPA is cracking down on tuners.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/efi-live/963761-no-more-idaho-rob-tunes.html
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
And if you live in CA dont bother reading. Many of these tuners (even EFI emmisions intact versions) cant be purchased/shipped to Commifornia.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
First and foremost let me say that if you are concerned with warranty then this thread is not for you. Just hit the back button and move on to the next thread if you are concerned about warranty or don't care to mod your truck past stock power levels.

Continuing the diesel mods for a certain budget series from the Cummins last month(LINK) and the Ford series a few months ago LINK.

Being the only short stroke HD diesel, the Duramax is able to rev high(for a diesel) to create some impressive horsepower numbers. Just adding an EFI tuner can make what is already a quick truck even quicker. Here are some ways to increase the power out of your Duramax and supporting mods to ensure you can continue to make that power for years to come. Unfortunately for the new L5P owners, the ECM is still yet to be cracked, and it might make tuning a little more expensive just like it does with the current Cummins ECM's that need to be unlocked before tuning. However, you can add "plug-and-play" modules as stated in the LML article.

Enjoy!

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LB7 DURAMAX

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LLY DURAMAX

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LBZ DURAMAX

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LMM DURAMAX

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: LML DURAMAX

A Plug in Play module for the LP5 gains 3-4 mpg is pretty impressive.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I am not an expert with the Duramax, but taking the EGR out of the equation with EFI along with removing the CAT should see some gains in the fuel mileage department. Especially if the added power also alters your torque curve allowing you to tow at lower rpms.

Tuning the VG turbo properly also helps since VG turbos are most efficient at around 50% open. My truck ran around 30% cruising down the highway in stock form. This was probably done to keep EGT's(due to the DPF) and NOx lower. Removing your catalyst may allow you to tune your turbo for more efficiency (instead of less emissions) without getting too hot.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Shiner. What % fuel mileage increase do you think an LBZ will get with EFI live? I mean if one is real gentle on the go peddle. I drive my Dmax soft and 360 HP is fine for what I do.

With my old trailer I got 12 towing and 16 solo of mixed (mostly short trips). Hwy was like 20. My new trailer knocked it down to 10.75 to 11.

It would be nice to get back to 12 again.

Thoughts?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln