cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build an a-frame?

Haley
Explorer
Explorer
Recent empty nester tent camper. Trying to travel with DW who is not a tent camper. Looking for something simple that can be used 50% established parks and 50% boon docking. Current Tow Vehicle is a minivan rated for 3500lbs.

All of the above points to a pop-up. DW not thrilled on soft sides. Myself, I tent camp fourrrr (extra 'r's for BRRRR) seasons. For these two reasons a hard sided a frame appeals to us.

Looking at used A-Liners, Rockwoods, etc. I think the manufacturers are putting their money in places I would choose not to. For example, an aluminum frame appeals to me as tow weight savings. I would not put a 3 burner stove inside, etc.

Also, my hobby is wooden boat building. For non-nautical types please understand that keeping the water on the outside is a key design goal. Same for an RV, just inverted.

Anyways...

1. Aluminum trailer
  2. Surge brakes?
  3. Thin marine plywood sandwiching thick insulation
  4. Metal roofing
  5. Dual pan RV windows?
  6. Take estimated cost, double it, and if I can but a decent used one go that route?

Would welcome your thoughts on this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John H.
12 REPLIES 12

Wakita46
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about building an Aliner after having 38,000 miles on mine. I think I would figure out how to make something like a Trail Manor instead. It should be just as doable as an A Frame without the draw backs. You would get more internal space and still be able to have a low profile while towing.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Where does stuff go ? We have an Aliner with twin beds. We opened up the areas under both beds & reenforced the openings. Now we have totes (minus lids) that fit perfectly there. Pull out just like real drawers. We had new 25” wide cushions made for dining table (leave table home). Built a cabinet across front for dishes & groceries. Ours has sliding doors, I’ve seen one that is divided into 3 bins so access is from top by lifting the lid. Very workable.

Haley
Explorer
Explorer
plywood coated w Cold cure Epoxy then marine enamel

My thinking was marine ply with fiberglass cloth draped over it and coated with epoxy, and then paint or varnish for UV protection. Same method as hulls on their boats.. Chesapeake Light Craft, a stitch and glue boat design firm actually has plans for a teardrop done in this manner.

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recreational-vehicles/teardrop-camper/clc-teardrop-trailer.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John H.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Haley wrote:
Recent empty nester tent camper. Trying to travel with DW who is not a tent camper. Looking for something simple that can be used 50% established parks and 50% boon docking. Current Tow Vehicle is a minivan rated for 3500lbs.

All of the above points to a pop-up. DW not thrilled on soft sides. Myself, I tent camp fourrrr (extra 'r's for BRRRR) seasons. For these two reasons a hard sided a frame appeals to us.

Looking at used A-Liners, Rockwoods, etc. I think the manufacturers are putting their money in places I would choose not to. For example, an aluminum frame appeals to me as tow weight savings. I would not put a 3 burner stove inside, etc.

Also, my hobby is wooden boat building. For non-nautical types please understand that keeping the water on the outside is a key design goal. Same for an RV, just inverted.

Anyways...

1. Aluminum trailer
  2. Surge brakes?
  3. Thin marine plywood sandwiching thick insulation
  4. Metal roofing
  5. Dual pan RV windows?
  6. Take estimated cost, double it, and if I can but a decent used one go that route?

Would welcome your thoughts on this.

Ive done TC from plywood coated w Cold cure Epoxy then marine enamel,good but not very long lasting.

If I did it again I would use the bestTruck bed Liner on the roof and sides to top coat any wood,
should last almost forever and be easy to touch up if scraped.

If you like aluminum look up Kimbo camper for inspiration.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Haley wrote:
For non-nautical types please understand that keeping the water on the outside is a key design goal.

Haley wrote:
Hmm, so if I use a similar font and adorn it with the word "A Li er" rather than "A Liner" can I be accused of anything but poor spelling?

Haley wrote:
Not ideal but it is easier to adjust one's expectations than it is to adjust ones tow rating.

Man, you are a treasure trove of one liners. I love it.

I don't think you would have any trouble building what you want. It sounds like you have the skills needed. I would think the collapsing roof would be the toughest part to design. A frames fold up flat, right? I've only seen a few in the wild.

That said, its not rocket science if you are mechanical and woodworking skills are up to it. Just time consuming and possible more expensive than buying "off the rack". But, you could make it exactly the way you want it!

Honestly if you have a polished finished product I don't understand how any campground can complain. But I haven't been to one yet that had limitations on home built or vintage stuff.

I would love to see a build thread if you do it.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Haley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new catamaran that I built fairly recently

Which design> I love the ones Dudley Dix offers but they are behind my mean$

lot of "established" parks do not allow home-built campers or RVs of any kind

These might be the same parks that frown upon vintage RV's as well, an age restriction, which I may face if I purchased used. Thanks though, I was unaware of this. Hmm, so if I use a similar font and adorn it with the word "A Li er" rather than "A Liner" can I be accused of anything but poor spelling?

bathroom is IMPERATIVE

So you've met my DW? This is tricky. In backpacking groups privacy is often something that is requested rather than expectedWhen I walk the 20ft behind the lean to to the thunder box it is helpful if I let people know so they do not wander to close. I am thinking a small cassette toilet used either inside or one of those shower tents. Not ideal but it is easier to adjust one's expectations than it is to adjust ones tow rating.

Aliners are very cramped, even for 2 people

I'm 5'9" and DW is taller. The A frames actually seem to offer a nice inside vertical clearance. Open and airy. She spotted right away though - where does all of the stuff go. Not much space. Not ideal but it is easier to adjust one's expectations than it is to adjust RV Budget. And you are right, I am not disagreeing, other than teardrops I think they are the smallest RV out there.

You will be much happier with electric brakes

Very cool. I tow small boat and utility trailers so the whole braking thing is new to me. My van stopped my 1750lb boat fine but I figure brakes would be finer. It is easier to adjust one's stopping distance than it is to get an exception to that basic law of physics concerning two objects occupying same space at same time.

roof leaks

I envision ridged metal roofing one might find on a cabin in the woods. They even sell it in an arc so the roof "A" frame could be bowed out a bit to expand space. I would not pierce this with skylights or vents - those would go on gables (i think). But I also envision using the boating building skills to use thin marine ply sandwich panels with a foam core. Epoxy / fiberglass the skin. Treat the roof like a hull.

marine plywood (BS1088) is very expensive

Remember. Size matters. For an A Frame the roof panels are no wider than 8' and not much longer. I'd invest more in the roofing system than the sound system.

would a teardrop trailer work for you?

Alas no. Ability to stand inside seems to be a key factor. Thanks though - a lot of what I am thinking comes from DIY teardrops.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John H.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I see plenty of travel trailers on Craigslist cheap or free. Typicaly water damaged from a leaky roof.

If you find one the size you want you could strip it down to the frame, preserving brakes etc, and build what you want on the factory built frame.

I did something similar with a ($167) 30' fifth wheel.

One requirement...... You must share pictures with us! 🙂
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
would a teardrop trailer work for you? There are home built plans available starting with a Harbor Freight trailer. Link

It's not really much bigger than a tent, with no bathroom and an outside kitchen. But it's a hard side.

If you build it light you won't need brakes. Though if you do install brakes I would think electric would be easier and cheaper.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Aliners are very cramped, even for 2 people. If DW does not like tent camping, I don't think she would like being in such a small "pop up".

If you want to boondoock a bathroom is IMPERATIVE even it is uses a composting toilet.

You will be much happier with electric brakes. Even with brakes, I think your minivan will be "challenged" on long uphill grades.

I have been dreaming and researching about building my own trailer (quite a bit bigger than what you are think of). The most common failure is roof leaks, especially around roof protrusion (A/C or vents). Typical RV "rubber roofing" does not have a long life so aluminum roofing is a good idea. Attaching the roof to the supports will be an issue. Caulk/sealants also do not have a long life. Boaters use butyl rubber tape. Build so that the window/vent/etc can be removed and the butyl replaced.

"Real" marine plywood (BS1088) is very expensive, but a couple coats of primer and a couple coats of marine top side paint and it will last for a long time !

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
With your background in wooden boats, I would LOVE to see that finished product (old sailor here). That said, A lot of "established" parks do not allow home-built campers or RVs of any kind. You'd be fine for boondocking, of course.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Folding Trailer forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Time for a custom build. LOL

When you are done with that, do you need any work building marine interiors ? I have a new catamaran that I built fairly recently. Needs an interior done. I became pretty allergic to epoxy. Been trying to look around for help for this for a long time.