cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Build my TV

bc-00044
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrading from a 27'TT to a 41' 5er. Obviously now also need to trade in my TV for something more capable.
Relying on the collective wisdom of this group for guidance. I do not have any strong brand loyalty beyond american made -- concerned about driving experience, ride comfort, towing capacity for the quoted trailer, and reliability. Make your proposals.
Pretty well set on a diesel, but convince me if I am wrong.
Trailer is 40' UVW 14344 lbs
67 REPLIES 67

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Any diesel built today is a bad choice unless it comes with a lifetime-million mile warranty. Since none of them do, all are bad choices.

LOL, ease up guys. I didn't read to the end before posting. This guy is just here to be an antagonist.
Too bad for folks who try to get GOOD information on this forum....

Absolutely 100,000,000% dead serious. I would not own any modern diesel vehicle on a bet, not if you gave it to me. I see every day how much trouble they are and want no part of that. Diesel jumped the shark in 2007.

ROFL. You dust off a dead thread to b!tch about diesel pickup emissions systems?
PS, stop driving Fords, your experience will improve... LOL

And stop driving a cummins as well (We'll limit the cummins exposure to the Nissan for now to prevent the undies from bunching up) as Nissan has dumped the Cummins and is now strictly gas power.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Speaking of intoxicated.....
You're right, can't be brain surgery if you've already had a lobotomy.

Regarding gas mileage, you're also high if you think you'll pull more than 5 mpg giver(sic) take out of a class V gasser pulling a large high profile trailer. Regardless of how many people you p!ss off doing 52mph in the right lane wound out with 6.17 gears!
๐Ÿ˜„

Naah, hardly wound out, not with the tall tires (295/75R22.5) and double overdrive. Final drive is 4.11 (about vthe same as a typical diesel class 7), 65MPH is about 2200RPM.

You should probably stop drinking. You might be totally wrong a little less often.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

ROFL. You dust off a dead thread to b!tch about diesel pickup emissions systems?

Are you always this wrong on everything? Not a single Ford in the fleet at work, actually...but the problems persist with Detroit, Cummins, Toyota, Volvo, Mercedes, and Isuzu!
Current rig:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
:R
Jarlaxle wrote:

They actually ride quite well...I put about 200,000 miles on an F-550, and I would expect the new ones ride better than that 2001.

Gear the truck appropriately (the V10 F-650 had 6.17 gears for a reason) and downshift when needed. It's not brain surgery.

Speaking of intoxicated.....
You're right, can't be brain surgery if you've already had a lobotomy.

Regarding gas mileage, you're also high if you think you'll pull more than 5 mpg giver take out of a class V gasser pulling a large high profile trailer. Regardless of how many people you p!ss off doing 52mph in the right lane wound out with 6.17 gears!
๐Ÿ˜„
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jarlaxle wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Any diesel built today is a bad choice unless it comes with a lifetime-million mile warranty. Since none of them do, all are bad choices.

LOL, ease up guys. I didn't read to the end before posting. This guy is just here to be an antagonist.

Absolutely 100,000,000% dead serious. I would not own any modern diesel vehicle on a bet, not if you gave it to me. I see every day how much trouble they are and want no part of that. Diesel jumped the shark in 2007.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^^The CP4 pump is a poor design but it is only an issue for those who experience a pump failure. Probably have about equal chance of having a pump failure as I do of dying from colon cancer. Iโ€™m not going to be overly concerned about either happening.
My father in law had that.

Since we have some good doctors, they see to it that my wife gets checked for it often as a precaution.
When one chooses a truck, they can choose a similar precaution.

Yes getting checked as a precaution makes sense; especially if she is genetically susceptible but you did marry her. You could have said no way I'm going to marry that chick I'm looking for a Dodge!
Been married 30 years as of 4/20/21. Her father came down with cancer probably 12 years ago.
I am not about to trade her in.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

ROFLMAO. Capable, towing those weights and that configuration should be illegal to say in the same sentence.

If you'd like the "slowest" trucks to tow 8tons + of high profile trailer, you've come to the right place.

Not to mention, a ginormous turd driving up hill, less control downhill than a 3/4 ton diesel and 5mpg coupled with a ride so rough that will not only remove your fillings, but may require an organ transplant.

I'm sure jarlaxle posted this in jest?

They actually ride quite well...I put about 200,000 miles on an F-550, and I would expect the new ones ride better than that 2001.

Gear the truck appropriately (the V10 F-650 had 6.17 gears for a reason) and downshift when needed. It's not brain surgery. If it gets 5MPG, something is very wrong. (Blocked exhaust, dragging brakes, dead cylinder, engine in cold-start mode all the time, etc.)
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Probably not needed, but much more enjoyable to drive than a 3500 right at its limit. Pin weight on an 8+ ton (loaded) 5er will be better than 3000lbs. Maybe a 4500...though I'd go 5500 for the extra 3000lbs capacity.

You've never even sat in the seat of a truck before? Asking for a friend...

Should hit two million miles this year, actually.
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
^^^ That tells me exactly how much you believe a lifetime warranty is worth.

Are you intoxicated?
Current rig:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^^The CP4 pump is a poor design but it is only an issue for those who experience a pump failure. Probably have about equal chance of having a pump failure as I do of dying from colon cancer. Iโ€™m not going to be overly concerned about either happening.
My father in law had that.

Since we have some good doctors, they see to it that my wife gets checked for it often as a precaution.
When one chooses a truck, they can choose a similar precaution.

Yes getting checked as a precaution makes sense; especially if she is genetically susceptible but you did marry her. You could have said no way I'm going to marry that chick I'm looking for a Dodge!
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jarlaxle wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jarlaxle wrote:
Probably not needed, but much more enjoyable to drive than a 3500 right at its limit. Pin weight on an 8+ ton (loaded) 5er will be better than 3000lbs. Maybe a 4500...though I'd go 5500 for the extra 3000lbs capacity.

You've never even sat in the seat of a truck before? Asking for a friend...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jarlaxle wrote:
bc-00044 wrote:
Upgrading to a 41' 5er. Obviously now also need to trade in my TV for something more capable.

Trailer is 40' UVW 14344 lbs

Ram 5500, gas 6.4 and Aisin, 4.11 gears.

Or F550, 7.3 gas power.

ROFLMAO. Capable, towing those weights and that configuration should be illegal to say in the same sentence.

If you'd like the "slowest" trucks to tow 8tons + of high profile trailer, you've come to the right place.

Not to mention, a ginormous turd driving up hill, less control downhill than a 3/4 ton diesel and 5mpg coupled with a ride so rough that will not only remove your fillings, but may require an organ transplant.

I'm sure jarlaxle posted this in jest?