cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bumper Cap

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Travel Trailer bumper (or sewer hose holder if you prefer) has a cap on the end that keeps falling off and getting lost. (So what else is new right.)

My old style cap has no tabs on the sides of it so it is just held in the bumper just by friction. (There is not much friction)

I thought about purchasing a style of cap with the tabs and drilling the bumper but, I see that there are other options.

One option is a cap with ribs on the side that looks like it would fit tighter.

The other option is a cap made by WirthCo that says after you put it in the bumper you press in the middle of the cap and somehow that locks it in place.

Will either of these other end caps work ? Should I just keep buying the original cheap cap that falls out once a year ? Or, should I just buy the one with tabs, drill the bumper, and get it the heck over with.

Thank You
33 REPLIES 33

jacko147
Explorer
Explorer
I found a 6' bungee cord, drilled 2 small holes in each end cap, and attached the bungee to each cap through the bumper, works great! I store my fire poker, pie maker and marshmallow sticks in my bumper.

2010 Sierra 4x4 1500, 5.3L 3.73
2012 Jayflight 26BH

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, I solved my problem.

My original caps had the word Camco on them and they were made of plastic and a loose fit.

I went to the local dealer and he sold me a cap made of rubber. It is such a tight fit that I had a hard time installing it.

I didn't want that on the side of the bumper that I removed the sewer hose from so I installed that cap on the other side. Then I moved the other loose fitting plastic cap to the side of the bumper I open most often. I then drilled a hole through the bumper and cap to drop a 1/4 inch bolt into on that side.

Looks like this will work out OK for me. We'll see as the season progresses.

gotohatteras
Explorer
Explorer
velcro straps...

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
On a previous trailer I just drilled the bumper and cap and put a long eye bolt through both. Used a wing nut on the bold...but lost the wing nut and just ended up with the bolt which never fell out. It held the cap in place perfectly.

Kind of did a similar thing but took a grinder to one side to smooth it out, drilled a hole through it and use a cotter pin, jesus clip..whatever you call it

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
On my 22 foot TT the only place to store the sewer hose is in the bumper.

I did once purchase a fancy hose once, I think it was from Camco, that had some sort of big clamp on it that would not fit in the bumper.

Too bad really, now I'm back to using a cheap hose that last's about 2 years and is always a bit too short. Sucks when they break as you are trying to get them to stretch a inch more to get them into the dump port.

I had the same problem with my small hybrid, no place to stash a tote so mine always ended up in a trash bag and placed in the shower as a Rhino hose would not fit in the bumper with the elbow attached.

Last year I finally bought a piece of 5" vinyl fence post and made a hose holder that is now bungeed to my bumper. Problem solved, wish I'd done it much sooner.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

Now that's the Cats Meow. Where did you get the clip ?

Just bent it up out of some stainless tig welding wire.

Cool, thanks.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
CavemanCharlie wrote:

Just bent it up out of some stainless tig welding wire.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
Are you all kidding me??? You can buy a set of these for 6.99 on Amazon! Buy 2 or 3 sets! Why would you make some rig or drill holes or put dumb looking bungees on your bumper when these are so cheap!? And buy the ones with the little holes that keep bugs out....You squeeze the tab in the middle to take it out.. They fit very tight...Haven't lost one in 2 years with my TT...

Had the drill, bit, and hanger. So cost was ZERO additional funds.....
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my 22 foot TT the only place to store the sewer hose is in the bumper.

I did once purchase a fancy hose once, I think it was from Camco, that had some sort of big clamp on it that would not fit in the bumper.

Too bad really, now I'm back to using a cheap hose that last's about 2 years and is always a bit too short. Sucks when they break as you are trying to get them to stretch a inch more to get them into the dump port.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The factory bumper ends that came on our KZ kept backing out. Never fell out, but was weird how they would back 1/2 way out even on short trips. Must have been something to do with the sheet metal of the bumper flexing due to the spare tire bouncing up & down.

Bought some Camco ones and they stay put. Very cheap fix. RV designer makes a bumper end with a flip-open hatch - screw, glue or tape (double-sided) the frame in place.

We're another one that never puts the sewer hose in the bumper. Too slow and PITA because the hose ends barely fit in. I just connect the ends together and put them in the pass-through or back of the truck. They're mostly in the truck. We have 4 lengths of sewer hose and normally use only 2 sections and have an out-of-the-way storage spot inside for them under a wall cabinet. I am thinking of getting a Super-Slider hose carrier made by D&W - 3 expandable models from 33-100" and will fit between the frame's I-beams (can't do that with Valterra's). Decent price too.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

charley542
Explorer
Explorer
I through the caps away and drilled a hole through on both ends of the bumper and put one of those eye bolts pictured in each end with a wing nut.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
To loose, or not to loose? That is the question?

I've lost several end caps over the years and (for me), the bungies work very well. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and if anyone want's to purchase new ones when they fly off, that's a personal choice.

I did re-read the posts on this thread and thought I'd give a better explanation of how I use my bumper.

First, I do not carry my sewer hoses in the bumper. I use to, but they became so full of pin-holes hall the time, I was buying new ones faster than I could use old ones. Something had to change. Then I realized those bumpers are nothing but rust collectors and rust has shards and shards punch holes in plastic sewer hoses. So I switched and installed a fence post style under the trailer system. When we got our Outback, it didn't work any more, so I started carrying them like this. Also, with 2 sewer outlets, I needed more connectors, Y's and stuff. This is my solution and I've never had a pin hole since:

So that left the bumper empty. With my new Outback, I made some changes where I stored stuff, and decided to move metal rod items to the bumper instead of in the front pass-through. So I carry in the bumper a sprayer for the toilet-black tank, a pair of fireplace tongs, the wand for my trailer brush (which is actually just an extendable painter's handle, and our hot dog sticks. (yea, that thing that gets shoved down the toilet and the hot dog sticks are in the same container! Spank me!

So I figure the movement of the trailer end back and forth causes those metal rod items to shift back and forth. If they punch up against the end cap ... well... thar she goes! Fortunately, I've not lost any contents inside the bumper.

And yes, I am using those end caps with the self-sticking sides. But when one of those metal rods presses against it, well, .... as I found out a few weeks ago, they still come off and get lost.

So, rather than drilling holes, scaring up the trailer, making modifications, and taking the lazy way out, I learned the bungie cords work pretty darn well keeping everything inside!

We ALL do it different. Nothing wrong with that!