cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bunk movement across trailer

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Flagstaff high wall camper. She was sleeping opposite end of the camper with our son and she said that every time I moved, she could feel it down on her end.

All 4 corner stabilizers were down, but this time we were set up on dirt and didn't put anything between them and the surface as opposed to the time before, we were on asphalt.

#1 Could the surface composition make that significant of a difference?

#2 She saw these on Amazon stabilizer but to me they don't look tall enough to put under the bunk ends.

Is there anything that could stabilize the bunk ends?
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
5 REPLIES 5

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
With the BAL light trailer leveler under one wheel and a decent amount of pressure from the stabilizers, our high wall is pretty stable most of the time. It does seem to vary and most of the time (I have not kept records) it is the unpaved surfaces that make it so.

I made some stabilizer platforms that keep them from having to be cranked so far down after doing an over/under axle conversion that added ~5" of height to the frame. I made them 8" so the stabilizers have to come down not so far. I don't know that this helps so much but I didn't have them with our first PUP and remember it bouncing quite a bit, even with a good bit of pressure on the stabilizers. Your frame can play a huge part in it as well.

I would try just a bit more pressure on the stabilizers and highly recommend the BAL leveler, not just for ease of use but for helping to knock down any wheel movement.

Platforms:

BAL leveler:

It is my opinion that trying to stabilize the bunk ends directly will not yield you much. If what they are attached to is still wiggling, you're really not going to do much for the bunk ends when they are anchored to the box still bouncing.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
We've camped on relatively soft dirt as well as a paved pad and I didn't notice much difference in the felt movement. If one of the kids at the other end rolls over, I can feel it some.

retiredtravele1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't be sure it would work in all cases, but I have wood scraps that go under the stabilizers. I have some 3/4" plywood pieces cut into 6 inch squares plus some 2/x's cut into 6 inch lengths. Never have to worry about the surface I'm on with those.
No longer RV'ing

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an older Palomino with a full bed on one end and a queen on the other.

Even with an 8' by 13' box, when someone moves on one end, the bed leverage is so large you can feel it at the other.

It is rare that we are parked on a solid surface like concrete. Usually it is gravel, grass or dirt; so I cannot really say if the surface makes any difference.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
The surface you are parked on, the pressure in your tires will all effect the motion you feel. I am not surprised she could feel you move around. There are things you can do to minimize but there will always be some since you sit on tires and a suspension system.

I can feel the grandbaby (3 years) when she gets up in the middle of the night.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.