cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burbman Crosses over to the Dark Side....

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Burb has been a trusty TV for many years but sadly she won't carry our truck camper. After launching a nationwide search I was lucky to find our new truck just a few hours away in NJ.

Wasn't looking for a diesel initially but hey, it's never too late to try something new!

This was a one-owner truck, bought, serviced, and traded in at the same dealer in NJ. 81k miles. Not a speck of rust underneath, not even surface rust on the frame. Clean Carfax, no accidents, no title issues. No signs of mods except the oversized tires and tinted windows (dealer removed tint so I could pass inspection).

So here is our new-to-us 2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box with Cummins diesel. Here is the window sticker from when it was new.

So I guess it's time to sell the Burb. They are super rare to find with the 8.1 anymore.

the BIG question is what to do about my screen name here....LOL
44 REPLIES 44

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well that’s a real plug for the 6.4 Flowerjoke!
We have one of those turds at work too. F550 service truck. Got shipped down here from Alberta with like 50k miles on it. Got a heart transplant not long after (engine blew).
And it’s still a turd. Empty service box with just a welder and autocrane on it, it felt like it had a 10k trailer hooked to it. And that was after we deleted it!
Got V10s that pull harder I swear!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck!

I've had a 2003 2500 Burb with the 8.1, and a 2012 CTD. I liked the 8.1 ok. But the Cummins is in a different league.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

specta
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:

So I guess it's time to sell the Burb. They are super rare to find with the 8.1 anymore.

I've been a Ford man all my life but switched to a Chevy when I bought my current truck.

I towed this snowcat several winters with a 2007 1-ton dually regular cab with the 8.1L Vortec and 3:73 gears. That's the truck in the picture taken in Jan 2019.

Total combined weight was close to 27,000 pounds. 5000 over what the truck was rated for.

I totaled the truck when a boulder rolled off a hill onto the HWY right in front of me in a blizzard while I was towing the cat. That was pretty exciting. 😉

This is the truck they replaced it with. A 2009 F-450 with the 6.4L diesel. It is a "heavy duty" which gave it 4:88 gears and it added 2500 lbs to the GVW over other F-450s with higher gear ratios.

What a pile of junk. :M

Climbing up HWY 24 towards Fishlake both trucks climbed the steep grades within just a couple of MPH of each other.

They both got 4.5 mpg towing the cat.

The 8.1 got about 12 mpg empty on the HWY.
The 6.4L for 9.5 mpg.

The F-450 LIVES in the shop. Its in there right now.

Due to the added wheel base, weight and limited slip in the rear the F-450 did "handle" the weight better and was more aggressive than the Chevy when the conditions got bad.

Those old 8.1L were pretty impressive for an old gasser.

I have no doubt that you will really enjoy your new Dodge.

Congrats on your new truck and camper. :C
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Mike E. wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Now all you need to add are these two things if u r towing a 5er.

Ummm, yeah.
If you'd read any of his other posts you'd know that he's restoring a Lance camper. 😉

Thanks for the tip though. 🙂

He probably has it in his will that he will be buried with that hitch. As heavy as it is, at least the coyotes won't be able to dig him up.

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with the new to you truck Burbman, sounds like you found a well cared for "baby".

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ummm, yeah.
If you'd read any of his other posts you'd know that he's restoring a Lance camper. 😉

Thanks for the tip though. 🙂

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on the Cummins, Burbman! Looks like new in the pic.

As for your comment about the reduced payload and tow capacity with the Aisin, both the 68RFE and Aisin equipped LB SRW trucks have the same 12,300 lb. GVWR. The extra weight of the Aisin (~150 lbs. heavier than the 68RFE) has to deducted from the same GVWR leaving less remaining for payload and tow capacity.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
And where the DEF goes --- think the blue fill!!!!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Just remember what fuel it likes to enjoy."

Words of wisdom!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, Burbman still works. Looks like you live in the Suburbs. 🙂

Congrats on the Diesel. I’m probably going to be looking for one very soon.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was always the "You don't need a diesel" guy.....

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
The Burb has been a trusty TV for many years but sadly she won't carry our truck camper. After launching a nationwide search I was lucky to find our new truck just a few hours away in NJ.

Wasn't looking for a diesel initially but hey, it's never too late to try something new!

This was a one-owner truck, bought, serviced, and traded in at the same dealer in NJ. 81k miles. Not a speck of rust underneath, not even surface rust on the frame. Clean Carfax, no accidents, no title issues. No signs of mods except the oversized tires and tinted windows (dealer removed tint so I could pass inspection).

So here is our new-to-us 2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box with Cummins diesel. Here is the window sticker from when it was new.

the BIG question is what to do about my screen name here....LOL

You are a silly feller. You bought a truck you like and nothing dark about this story. Just remember what fuel it likes to enjoy. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on your new to you truck. Hope it treats you well...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"