cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buy Truck First or Used RV First??

RedFishBlueFish
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm sure this has been discussed, and I have searched and found some information, but here goes.

I am about to retire, sell my house, hit the road, and become a full time RVer. I am single but will be taking an 80 pound lab with me. The layouts of the fifth wheels seem best suited for single individuals. So, Iโ€™m thinking about a 25-30 ft fifth wheel. Since this lifestyle will be new to me, I have no idea how long I will want to stay in it. For this reason I do not want a new RV which would cost me a bundle to sell in 6 months if I am unsuited to the life. So, Iโ€™m thinking of a relatively cheap RV, in the $10,000 range. This puts me in a 2004-2011 used fifth wheel RV in the 8,000 to 16,000 pound range. Iโ€™m looking for a truck in the $30,000 range. Not much cheaper because (1) the big three all upgraded towing capacities around 2010-2012 and I canโ€™t get the CVWR, GVWR, or rear GAWR to provide the cushion I want if I get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck made before 2010 and (2) I want a diesel as I plan to spend a considerable amount of time in the mountains. So, Iโ€™m looking at 2011 and newer F250s or F350s or 2500HD Chevy or comparable 2500/3500 Rams. I prefer SRW to DRW and am leaning toward 4WD although not stuck on that idea. I can find these kind of trucks in reasonably good condition (even certified) for about $30K depending on mileage, etc.

So, hereโ€™s my question (sorry for the long introduction), most people say buy the RV first, then buy the proper tow vehicle. And I can see this if you are buying a $60K RV or even a $30K RV. But, if I am going to sink 75% of my money in the truck, shouldnโ€™t I buy the truck first and then find an RV to fit the truck?

(One thing I am struggling with is matching the truck and RV hitch heights. People flipping axels, removing truck lifts, lifting RVs, denting their side rails, etc. Seems like this might be easier to evaluate once I have the truck. Although it took me a while, I finally have figured out the towing capacity stuff. It was a lot to learn, but now if I can get the data, I know how to buy a RV and truck that will be within the axel and tow limits. And I can see from reading these forums that a lot of folks are pushing or exceeding those limits. I just donโ€™t feel comfortable doing that. I want some cushion or safety margin on the limits. So here too, knowing the capacity of the truck helps me pick the proper RV.)

Thanks, in advance, for your comments and suggestions on this. If this seems a totally stupid idea, please tell me so!
30 REPLIES 30

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
If I was in your position I would first try to find a truck/fiver combo from someone that is giving up for one reason or another. You can find some good deals like that. Try Escapes.

This^.
And the best timer year for these deals is Mar thru May when a lot of blue hairs finish their last snowbird trip.
Diesel pickup prices are sooooo skewed right now it isn't even funny. The old pre dpf ones go for way more than they are worth and brand new are over the top. But for some reason you can find almost new CC 4x4 Rams 2013-2014 with low miles for sub $40k but if you step up to a Laramie they are all $55k used. When you can buy new for the same price. Shop carefully and don't get sucked into paying too much.
FYI there's a cc 14 Ram diesel, tradesman 4x4 with about 10kmi on Seattle CL right now for $37k iirc. Good deal

I paid $39k for my Ram before TTD. New with full warranty. Sticker was right at $51k. It's fairly basic but it isn't a fleet truck by any means. Keyless, Uconnect 5.0 with bluetooth, power windows/locks, cloth/carpet, limited slip, brake controller, cold weather and protection, chrome and spray in bedliner.

I looked at used trucks by the prices on used Cummins or Duramax were just through the roof, so I went new.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
If I was in your position I would first try to find a truck/fiver combo from someone that is giving up for one reason or another. You can find some good deals like that. Try Escapes.

This^.
And the best timer year for these deals is Mar thru May when a lot of blue hairs finish their last snowbird trip.
Diesel pickup prices are sooooo skewed right now it isn't even funny. The old pre dpf ones go for way more than they are worth and brand new are over the top. But for some reason you can find almost new CC 4x4 Rams 2013-2014 with low miles for sub $40k but if you step up to a Laramie they are all $55k used. When you can buy new for the same price. Shop carefully and don't get sucked into paying too much.
FYI there's a cc 14 Ram diesel, tradesman 4x4 with about 10kmi on Seattle CL right now for $37k iirc. Good deal
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TinHut_66
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to this forum but I have owned various travel trailers over the past years. That said, I have to agree with Slowmover. A good 25/27' tongue pull can be had in the 10K range and with a slide should be plenty big for just you and the pooch. A lighter TV will pull this size trailer fine. One factor to consider, if you are full timing you may want to leave your trailer in one place for awhile and drive to see the sights. One ton trucks are great pullers but are not the most desirable daily drivers. I absolutely don't want to own another dually, they don't fit the drive thru lanes or parking spaces and have too many tires on the ground. We presently have a 2011 Crossroads 26RL that we pull with a 2015 Toyota Tundra. This combination works great for us. Best advice is to talk to a lot of owners and kick a lot of tires before you decide what to buy.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
I'd avoid the 5er and get a used 25' Bigfoot. A half ton or a car like a Chrysler 300 can do the job. A much better road going combination than any 5er.

Most folks new to RVng are impressed by big interiors. But the whole point to camping is to travel to places with shirtsleeve weather. Be outside as much as possible.

Indoors, we are sleeping or sitting 99.8% of the time. It is the view from the windows and a pleasant breeze which matters. Not excess space to cool and clean. Unless you like cleaning.

And not in an RV near the end of its design life. RV quality matters more than size to have an introduction to this life.

A $40k budget can do quite a lot with the above. My combination was far less in price.

Of course, if one is just traveling to a warmer climate to watch TV in winter, what one buys or its quality matters much less.

But if you expect to travel, get something better.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
I don't think it matters which you buy first, but to understand the limits and capacities of the different trucks is key, IMHO. While you're looking at RV's, you will know what would be necessary to pull it, and while looking at trucks, you will know what it will pull.

Agree. I researched both before buying anything, paying particular attention to the truck's payload, RAWR, & GVWR. Once, I had the truck I confined my fifth wheel search to models that were within the truck's capacities/capabilities. Oh, and both my purchases were used.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
I am biased to the Dodge 3rd Generation with the six speed. With a good trans (not all were good) it shifts like a Civic.

If I had a $30000 budget I would not buy a $30,000 truck.

These trucks are made to go a LOT of miles, like a million. I'd find a well-cared-for older Ford or Dodge (like 2003) with under 200K and save my money for a few upgrades, winch, exhaust brake, better fuel delivery and filtration, quiet diesel generator in the bed, maybe a 19.5 wheel conversion. There are lot of things you can do to make the ultimate nomadic vehicle.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Good used diesels for a decent price are much harder to come by than good used 5vers for a good price, so keep your search on for the truck you want and if you find one snag it.
4wd yes. You'll get it back on resale and be glad you have it unless you stay on the pavement and no snow with the trailer.
Ext cab will save you a lot of $ over a CC due to not nearly as popular.
Don't buy a 6.0 or 6.4 Ford unless you save enough $ on it to play the repair odds.
Don't buy a Dodge with a 4sp auto if possible. ( you're looking for newer than that anyway)
Don't limit yourself to the newer trucks IMO. You can get a lower mile, simpler truck with most of the creature comforts, all the power and suspension you need with less emissions to deal with if you find a cherry pre 07.5 Dmax or 3rd gen Cummins (if you can deal with a manual trans).
There's my 2c.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

therink
Explorer
Explorer
hertfordnc wrote:
This is nothing, ask a question about oil, tires, towing in overdrive, or gas versus diesel and your computer will melt.

By the way, I change my oil every few thousand miles with whatever is on sale and I always tow in overdrive with my cummins diesel which is vastly superior to all other tow vehicles, but I don't want to start anything........

What about your tires?
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
This is nothing, ask a question about oil, tires, towing in overdrive, or gas versus diesel and your computer will melt.

By the way, I change my oil every few thousand miles with whatever is on sale and I always tow in overdrive with my cummins diesel which is vastly superior to all other tow vehicles, but I don't want to start anything........
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

RedFishBlueFish
Explorer
Explorer
The hits just keep on coming. You folks have been great with your responses.

I'm new to this forum and was not expecting this level of response, nor the quality of the responses.

Thank you all very much.

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
Got the truck first as I was expecting to get a used 5th wheel. Ended up getting a new small TT that fits at home. If I had done it backwards I would have bought an F150 or maybe even just a very large SUV.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
The case for 4wd: diesel engines are HEAVY a Cummins 5.9 weighs 1100 lb, twice the weight of a V10. The manual trans is another 400 lb.

Running empty, my 2wd Dodge 3500 gets stuck in wet grass because the front sinks and the rear wheels can't push it out.

Unlike a gas half ton, the added spinning weight of the 4WD axle will not have a significant impact on fuel efficiency.

As for which truck or which to choose first- you're already talking one-ton diesels so they all tow everything from "a lot" to "really a lot"

If resale is a factor in your thinking you might consider the needs of heavy hauling hotshot guys. They love to buy gently used trucks from retired RV guys. In that case, think max capacity, a Dodge dually with a six speed would be preferred. Followed by Ford. From my reading on the trucking forums (researching my own post-retirement), Chevy's are not so popular.

My thinking would be to get the truck first, get one that can pull anything. You ability to fully enjoy this lifestyle will be driven more by how you feel behind the wheel than the color of the countertops.

Also, these trucks hold their value whereas most RVs depreciate faster than organic yogurt.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

Bedlam
Although I had a very capable F250, I spent some money on upgrading it past the capacity of a SRW F350. In my case I would have spent similar money on F350 upgrades, so my choice worked out for me but this would not be my suggestion for you.

Knowing you will be towing a fifth wheel, start with a SRW F350/3500 that has a long bed. This will give you plenty of choices without having to spend extra on extended pin boxes or sliding hitches. A DRW truck would give you more choices if you wanted to upgrade to a heavier FW, but it is not needed for the size you want now.

If it is just you and the dog, an extended cab may offer you enough room and still be a little smaller than a crew. Although you two may fit into a standard cab, you will not be able to keep many convenience items in your cab that you may want to have within reach.

If you mostly camp in RV resorts, you will not have a need for 4wd. If you plan to camp in more rural public campgrounds or boon dock, that 4wd will be an insurance policy well worth the extra cost and maintenance.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD