cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buy Truck First or Used RV First??

RedFishBlueFish
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm sure this has been discussed, and I have searched and found some information, but here goes.

I am about to retire, sell my house, hit the road, and become a full time RVer. I am single but will be taking an 80 pound lab with me. The layouts of the fifth wheels seem best suited for single individuals. So, Iโ€™m thinking about a 25-30 ft fifth wheel. Since this lifestyle will be new to me, I have no idea how long I will want to stay in it. For this reason I do not want a new RV which would cost me a bundle to sell in 6 months if I am unsuited to the life. So, Iโ€™m thinking of a relatively cheap RV, in the $10,000 range. This puts me in a 2004-2011 used fifth wheel RV in the 8,000 to 16,000 pound range. Iโ€™m looking for a truck in the $30,000 range. Not much cheaper because (1) the big three all upgraded towing capacities around 2010-2012 and I canโ€™t get the CVWR, GVWR, or rear GAWR to provide the cushion I want if I get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck made before 2010 and (2) I want a diesel as I plan to spend a considerable amount of time in the mountains. So, Iโ€™m looking at 2011 and newer F250s or F350s or 2500HD Chevy or comparable 2500/3500 Rams. I prefer SRW to DRW and am leaning toward 4WD although not stuck on that idea. I can find these kind of trucks in reasonably good condition (even certified) for about $30K depending on mileage, etc.

So, hereโ€™s my question (sorry for the long introduction), most people say buy the RV first, then buy the proper tow vehicle. And I can see this if you are buying a $60K RV or even a $30K RV. But, if I am going to sink 75% of my money in the truck, shouldnโ€™t I buy the truck first and then find an RV to fit the truck?

(One thing I am struggling with is matching the truck and RV hitch heights. People flipping axels, removing truck lifts, lifting RVs, denting their side rails, etc. Seems like this might be easier to evaluate once I have the truck. Although it took me a while, I finally have figured out the towing capacity stuff. It was a lot to learn, but now if I can get the data, I know how to buy a RV and truck that will be within the axel and tow limits. And I can see from reading these forums that a lot of folks are pushing or exceeding those limits. I just donโ€™t feel comfortable doing that. I want some cushion or safety margin on the limits. So here too, knowing the capacity of the truck helps me pick the proper RV.)

Thanks, in advance, for your comments and suggestions on this. If this seems a totally stupid idea, please tell me so!
30 REPLIES 30

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you buy RV first then it is easier to buy a truck big enough to 'carry' the 5th wheel (pin weight).

If you buy truck first then you could be limited to which 5th wheel due to trucks payload capacity.......unless you buy big enough truck to begin with

Forget about the 250/2500s and go with a 350/3500 for higher capacities/ratings.
SRW........5th wheel with a GVWR of 14K otherwise you should be looking at DRWs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31