cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying used from a dealer

jf504mp
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading a lot on here about major problems with new TTs. It got me to wondering, is it any better buying a used TT from a dealer? I would guess that a lot of problem campers might get traded in. With a limited or no warranty from the dealer would you go that route? Do you think you would fare better buying from an individual?
I bought my camper used from a dealer and I think I did ok. I am in the market for another camper and undecided on a new or used one.
20 REPLIES 20

RetiredSFC_97
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers don't know much about the trades they take in and too many people don't tell them what may be wrong, so it's not always their fault. Do your own homework and if you can take someone with you who knows campers if you're buying used.

I bought mine from my sister 10 years ago when it was 3 years old. I paid more actually than what a dealer would have charged, but I knew this camper since it was new.

RetiredSFC_97
Explorer
Explorer
mirandamae wrote:
We are looking to buy our first TT. Used 2011 from a private party. I am wondering if a local dealer will inspect it for us? Also it is already winterized so would we be able to run through the entire checklists I have found such as the water tanks etc. Any help would be so appreciated!

If it's winterized you can still go through the checklist. If the owner wants to sell it and believes you're serious, it's cheap and easy to re winterize it. That's a price you pay trying to sell after you've winterized it this time of year.

As far as local dealer inspecting it, I don't have any experience with that.

The main things you want to do is make sure all appliances to include heater and water heater work. Look for signs of water leaks and check for mildew smells. Check all the windows for leaks and get up on top and look for cracking at places that have sealant where antennas go through the roof. etc. And along the roof lines where the rubber roof contacts the camper. The front and back are where you'll typically find cracking at the seams.

Put the awning out and check for functionality and wear, rips. etc.

beings it's a 2011, unless it's a lemon it's probably in pretty good shape.

My rule of thumb on these things and vehicles when buying from a private party is check for cleanliness outside and inside. If it's been kept clean, it's most likely been cared for.

Also have them go through the entire setup for you and explain how to set it up, winterize it, and care for it. But do your own homework on the care of it as well and don't take what they say as gospel, or you'll find out how much they didn't tell you at the least opportune time.

This has been my experiences.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Buying used or new for that matter can be a mixed bag sometimes. The camper we have now was 2.5 years old when we bought it back in 2007. And the dealer we bought it from was 500 miles away. I knew I was never going back to them.

A few things to help when buying used, these even apply to new for that matter.

1. Educate your self on the brand you are buying. Research the make,year and model. RV.net is a good place to start. People talk about their campers, good and bad. While you cannot take all that is said as gospel, If you get many of that same comments, that is a heads up to dig into the one your looking at. If you have some knowledge going in on the brand and what to look out for can help save you.

2. Neglect. On a camper neglect can kill any good camper quick. The worst is water damage. Before buying any used camper with no long period warranty you have to educate yourself on where to look for water damage. I see ScottG posted on this. He must of been through it before. A water damaged camper can turn a good day real bad and unless you know where to go looking, you may even walk right by it and never notice it until 3 camping trips or a year later.
See this video, forget the sale guy pitch but see what he is looking at. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xx0SPexRHgo Research water damage on a camper, there is a lot out there on web about it. And it does not matter if the camper is 2 years old or 10 years old. Many people have no idea they are suppose to be a hawk eye and fix roof sealant immediately.

3. If you are not handy in all things camper related, hire someone to inspect the unit for you that is. It might cost you $100 to $200 but once you own it, it's your problem.

This all boils down to, educating yourself on what you are buying. There are some really good deals to be had and some really bad ones too. The key is knowing how to spot which ones to walk away from.

In my case I knew the brand and I knew the camper. I knew what to look for and may have drove the dealer a bit up the wall with my inspection requests, but he and I both knew once I paid for it, it was mine. I got a good deal and a great camper. I would of bought new however my brand was one of the 1st to go under before the economy tanked. After searching all over for new, I gave up and bought a good used one on the brand I knew was good. Then just had to make sure the camper was not neglected.

Good luck and hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

ReferDog
Explorer
Explorer
Used do have the bugs worked out, New can be just as bad sometimes worst .I have several use no problems.
ReferDog 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dura Max
Artic Fox 30U

Equlizer Hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Of the four used RVs we've had or the many equipment/enclosed trailers all were bought from a dealer. Reason being when bought from a individual its buyers beware and once its gone from their property its yours. Bust a tire/wheel/suspension/or find a appliance thats not working/etc on the way home or the first camp trip and you pay for all the repairs.

Dealers I deal with have a 30 day warranty on their used units after it leaves their lot.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Dtaylor wrote:
Lantley wrote:
If buying used it's always buyer beware.
Even an honest dealer may not know the true history of a unit they are selling.

I also think most reputable dealers would go thru and look for problems and fix them, or at least disclose them, prior to a sell. Most dealers are not KNOWINGLY going to accept a unit with problems that will cost them money. They will reduce the trade-in value to offset the cost of repairs

I would like to believe this,but to my dismay my dealer barely inspected my trade in. My unit was in good shape buy the dealer never carefully examined my trade in.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

mirandamae
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to buy our first TT. Used 2011 from a private party. I am wondering if a local dealer will inspect it for us? Also it is already winterized so would we be able to run through the entire checklists I have found such as the water tanks etc. Any help would be so appreciated!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The important thing is to inspect the unit yourself *thoroughly for leaks. If you see ANY indication of water intrusion then move on to the next rig - there's lots of them out there.

I traded in a TT that had rot under a window of which I told the dealer about. He didn't care. Did he tell the next customer? I doubt it.
Don't trust them!

*Step inside RV, does it smell musty? Open every cabinet and look for stains on ceiling. Step in every corner, esp. bathroom, and check for softness of the floor. Look for any odd staining of the linoleum. Go up top of the roof and look for soft spots. Check exterior compartments for mustiness, water stains or softness.

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
I would be very careful buying anything used from a dealer without a through inspection and documentation. We are currently shopping for a motorhome to replace out TT and are finding that virtually all used units come from auctions. While there is nothing wrong with an auction purchase you have no history available from the previous owner and no factory backing. While the markup profits are likely less than with a MH, I'm sure a tidy profit can be made in the used TT market. I just read a lengthy post from an individual who got "burned" on a used 5er. So look carefully at used units and ask a lot of questions about how they obtained it.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
If you can get a decent warranty, and 30 days is not enough, then the dealer might be worth the money. Problem with a 30 day warranty is you probably won't camp but once or twice in that 30 days. It may not rain in that time. You may not use both the air and the furnace in that time. And the lipstick they put on the pig won't be worn off by the end of the 30 days. If you buy used and the dealer won't help you out, don't even bother calling the factory. If you buy new and the dealer won't help you out the factory is your back-up.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Coleman PU many moons ago that was new but had been sitting on the dealer's lot for a couple years. After a few trips and some eventual rain, it was evident the canvas was dry-rotted and leaked like a sieve. I took it back to the dealer, and since it was classified as a new PU, I was able to get them to replace the canvas free of charge. If it were a used PU, then I would have been out of luck. Obviously we don't have to worry about canvas in our TTs, but there are other features that would be similarly treated depending on whether it is new or used.

Regarding used TTs, the big issue you are going to have is availability of specific makes and models that fit your needs. When I bought our new TT this past summer, I generally knew which floorplan I wanted and what I was willing to spend, and the salesman was able to show us several models and manufacturers that fir the bill. When I asked about used TTs, he said there weren't any that would meet my requirements. And from what I saw on the lot, used TTs that were 2-3 years old weren't exactly cheap. It seemed you needed to go back in the 5-10 year old range to start seeing a big difference in price between new and used.

But my recommendation would be to determine your requirements and needs (as opposed to wants), and then start looking through inventory, both new and used.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lowsuv wrote:
I have found that the best method for buying a used vehicle is to buy it from a private party .
by visiting the owner's home and observing how he takes care of his rolling stock is a better indicator than other methods .
plus with an RV there are careful owner's who have to abandon their well cared for rig due to failing health or age related issues .
the guy who has shined up his " for sale " vehicle but his pickup and car are in poor condition are good indications of actual usage .
be prepared to scour the ads daily and act quickly when a good deal shows up .
the best deals go to the first buyer that shows up .
the average rigs end up on a dealer's lot in many cases .
And may be represented as " cream puffs " in order to make the sale .

This is what I do too.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I've bought 2 new and 2 used trailers from dealers over the years. The 2 used ones were by far less troublesome than the new ones. Does that mean used ones have the bugs worked out?? Maybe but then maybe I was just lucky, you just need to be very thorough and closely inspect what ever you purchase.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Buying from a dealer will cost you more. No matter who you buy from insist on a working walk through prior to closing the deal. Check EVERYTHING. +I did this and saved thousands on problems unfound until the walk through. Doubt seller would be motivated to fix anything after the sale.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)