cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying used hybrid

tessi81
Explorer
Explorer
I am totally new to the RV world and we are looking at purchasing our first hybrid travel trailer. Looking at buying a used 18-20ft hybrid. Have been looking at some older 2005-2007 model and some newer ones 2012/2013. Since the older ones are more our price range we are tending towards them but wondering how do the older ones hold up? Will we experience a lot of problems with the tents/canvas -mold, leakage??
10 REPLIES 10

bconrey
Explorer
Explorer
We just upgraded from a pop-up to a used hybrid - used 2003 Starcraft Antigua. We found one on a dealer's lot that they were interested in moving for a good price.

Bunk ends were solid, floors were solid, minimal evidence of water damage. Found water damage in the shower (not terribly surprising), had the salesman pull a ladder out so I could take a look. The dicor was not well-maintained, was ugly and in need of repair around the skylight and vent, but the roof seemed solid.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I've refurbed both the skylight and the vent. Based on how the original dicor was applied (screw heads weren't fully covered), I'm chalking it up to a manufacturing/assembly defect. Everything is water-tight now.

While working on the roof I noticed a huge gap in the dicor at the front of the roof. I've since caught up on the neglected roof maintenance and a recent rainstorm has confirmed this.

All that to say, be sure to check the roof!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Every one of them said the same thing. They loved them except they had problems with condensation building up on the inside of the canvas. Hot days and cool nights caused all of their bedding to get wet.

Obviously, they did nothing to find out how to solve this.
with a little research, they could have solved it by allowing for air movement and using Popup Gizmos/solar blankets.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our hybrid listed below about 13 years ago. We camp alot. Nearly year round. Our HTT is still in really great shape as we have always taken care. We set up tent tned so dry out if any dampness is felt. I have seen newer units in terrible shape because they were not taken care of. I always suggest a buyer take a perspective RV to a neutral qualified service center for evaluation. A honest seller will welcome this. It is money well spent. There can be problems the seller may honestly not know about as well.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
There are websites and youtube videos that you can search the web for about buying used campers and what to look for. The best thing to know is to let your nose do the work. If a camper smells funny, walk away. If all you smell is deodorizer of some kind,walk away. Someone is trying to cover up something. Good Luck in your search.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
Like others said, depends on how well taken care of it was. We bought a 9-year-old HTT a couple years ago and it's still going strong. Just note there may be some minor things to fix. We got new tires just because it was still on the original tires, and also changed the bunk-end latches because one was worn. Also replaced the hot water heater drain plug because it was worn and we were slowly losing water through the hot water heater. The latter 2 were cheap, DIY repairs. Otherwise, it's been a solid camper.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a couple of pop ups and then bought a used 2003 Starcraft hybrid and we love it. It was like brand new when we got it 2 years ago, and we've tinkered with it and made some changes, etc. We have had a tiny bit of condensation issues (when we had a campout sleepover for our daughter and there were 5 girls on one end) but other then that if you leave a vent cracked or the tent end fans going, you are good to go.

If you are looking for used, make sure you inspect all of the tent ends and really smell around for mildew. Check the floor for soft spots all over.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We were new to camping and RV's 1 1/2 years ago and when we first started looking at campers, we liked the hybrids a lot. Then we talked to people we knew that used to have them. Every one of them said the same thing. They loved them except they had problems with condensation building up on the inside of the canvas. Hot days and cool nights caused all of their bedding to get wet. We opted for a traditional camper to avoid those problems.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco25E wrote:
Its like any thing else it depends on how it was taken care of.

There is nothing wrong with buying a 2005-2007 model but if you do not know what and where to look for when looking at a used HTT I would suggest taking someone along that does. But yes around the tent ends (seals, canvas, ext) are most important areas to look at with an HTT.

X2. Our first hybrid was an '03 Jayco that we bought new, and owned for 10 years. We got a decent trade on it, it was in immaculate condition, the dealer sold it in less than a month. I treated all the bunk end seals twice a year, re-caulked as needed, repainted the entire frame twice. The only leak I had was when it was 7 years old, was a small one on a roof seal where the Dicor started to pull away. I fixed it with Eternabond tape.

It's not just the bunks you need to look at. It'll have the same potential issues as any trailer. Look for delamination of the sides, water stains inside, bubbling areas of the walls and ceiling, check the floor thoroughly by walking on every square inch looking for soft spots. Use your "sniffer" for odd smells, especially musty and mold scents, or excess amounts of bleach which could indicate an effort to get rid of mold. Look at the areas around the windows, inside and out.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Jayco25E
Explorer
Explorer
Its like any thing else it depends on how it was taken care of. For example my HTT is a 2005. It was two years old when we bought it in 07. We looked it over inside and out. It was taken care of really well in its first two years as it look like brand new. Fast forward to today in 2015 and it still looks like a new camper. As we take care of it. It gets covered in the winter time. Every spring it get going over everything is cleaned and inspected. Anything that looks warn out gets replaced. All seals on all doors get cleaned really well and if needed replaced. The number one thing that causes issues with used HTT's is water leaks. Keep the water out and all is good. There is nothing wrong with buying a 2005-2007 model but if you do not know what and where to look for when looking at a used HTT I would suggest taking someone along that does. But yes around the tent ends (seals, canvas, ext) are most important areas to look at with an HTT.
2008 Chevy Avalanche
Current 2021 Coachman Apex 300BHS
Past 2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Just say, they have been improving. Look for water penetration around the bunks, especially the front.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized