cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying van to pull my trailer

Joe_C
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Jayco 10 ft. fold out a camper trailer with the 2 ft. storage in front. It has size 14 radial tires. Trailer weight 1950 net about 2800 gross.
I plan on buying a 2008 to newer Grand Caravan.I was wondering if the
3.3 v6 could handle that weight or do I have to go to the 3.6 or 3.8v6.
22 REPLIES 22

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Caddywhompus wrote:
popupcamping wrote:
You should not tow a 2700lb dry trailer. The tongue weight would be close to 500 lbs loaded to camp and you do not have the capability.

350 tw is your max....sorry
Wrong answer.

350 is the maximum tongue weight with a class II hitch. You can buy class III hitches for the Freestar that not only get you the higher tongue weight capability, but the ability to use a WD hitch.

From memory, the class III Hidden Hitch (custom fit, not universal) on our Freestar was rated for 400 pounds of hitch weight without WD, and 550 with WD. The max trailer weight was 5500 pounds.

Freestars are some of the most under-rated tow vehicles in the world. A 4.2 liter Freestar will easily pull a travel trailer up to around 5000 pounds, despite carrying the rubber-stamp 3500 pound minivan tow rating. With some modifications, trailers over 5000 pounds are even possible.

So you are going to take all responsibility for OP if he is overloaded and gets into a legal issue?

Caddywhompus
Explorer
Explorer
popupcamping wrote:
You should not tow a 2700lb dry trailer. The tongue weight would be close to 500 lbs loaded to camp and you do not have the capability.

Wrong answer.

350 is the maximum tongue weight with a class II hitch. You can buy class III hitches for the Freestar that not only get you the higher tongue weight capability, but the ability to use a WD hitch.

From memory, the class III Hidden Hitch (custom fit, not universal) on our Freestar was rated for 400 pounds of hitch weight without WD, and 550 with WD. The max trailer weight was 5500 pounds.

Freestars are some of the most under-rated tow vehicles in the world. A 4.2 liter Freestar will easily pull a travel trailer up to around 5000 pounds, despite carrying the rubber-stamp 3500 pound minivan tow rating. With some modifications, trailers over 5000 pounds are even possible.
  • '11 Ford Expedition XL 5.4L (Primary tow vehicle)
  • '04 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L (Backup tow vehicle
  • '04 Ford Freestar SES 3.9L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '97 Lincoln Mark VIII 32v 4.6L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '95 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L (final Backup)

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
The Freestar with the 4.2 should work well if connected optimally.

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne v wrote:
New to the forums and this seemed like the best place to ask this...

I have a 2005 Freestar with the 4.2L engine. I am looking at a trailer that is about 2700 dry. Can I pull this with the van without frying my transmission or anything else? How do you think it will do? Is it safe etc.

Does the pulling weight which Ford specs at 3500 pounds include the weight inside the van itself?

Any guesses on what filling the trailer with regular vacation items will weigh? Let's assume we don't run with water tanks full.

Any help here is appreciated.
Thanks!

you should start a new thread but to answer your question,No.

Wayne_v
Explorer
Explorer
New to the forums and this seemed like the best place to ask this...

I have a 2005 Freestar with the 4.2L engine. I am looking at a trailer that is about 2700 dry. Can I pull this with the van without frying my transmission or anything else? How do you think it will do? Is it safe etc.

Does the pulling weight which Ford specs at 3500 pounds include the weight inside the van itself?

Any guesses on what filling the trailer with regular vacation items will weigh? Let's assume we don't run with water tanks full.

Any help here is appreciated.
Thanks!

re2boys
Explorer
Explorer

To the OP:
I think a minivan is a great choice for your trailer, however (and it hurts me to say this) the Grand Caravan would not be my first choice. If there is a reason people have a negative opinion about towing with minivans, it is because the Chrysler minivans have historically been the most popular and least reliable tow vehicles used. I love Chryslers, and owned many. But in the minivan market you are far better served by a Toyota Sienna or Nissan minivan. If you are buying used, the best choice would be to find an 07 or 08 Freestar with the 4.2 liter engine and tow package. You won't regret it.

-Jim

Not to hijack the thread, Caddy, but have you heard anything regarding the Quest as a tow vehicle? A bit concerned as it has a CVT. Agree with you regarding the Freestar, looking for replacement for my 2005. How about Kia Sedona? Thanks.
RE2Boys

Caddywhompus
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
Road Ruler wrote:

Then you will never learn anything!

Oh, I've learned plenty with this.
Actually, you would do well to listen to Road Ruler, and read that article. Many people have a false impression of what minivans can or should do, partly because they have all been rubber-stamped with the same 3500 pound tow rating.

I can tell you from personal experience, the BEST tow vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of driving was a Ford Freestar. Sure, our Expedition has 3x the tow rating, and twice the power. But the minivan was more stable, more economical and easier to own and drive. It gave up nothing to the Expedition in braking, steering or stability. It had plenty of power for up to 5000 pounds of towing. In 140k miles, I replaced a front wheel bearing. The van is now used by my brother's widow to haul around my nieces and nephew.

To the OP:
I think a minivan is a great choice for your trailer, however (and it hurts me to say this) the Grand Caravan would not be my first choice. If there is a reason people have a negative opinion about towing with minivans, it is because the Chrysler minivans have historically been the most popular and least reliable tow vehicles used. I love Chryslers, and owned many. But in the minivan market you are far better served by a Toyota Sienna or Nissan minivan. If you are buying used, the best choice would be to find an 07 or 08 Freestar with the 4.2 liter engine and tow package. You won't regret it.

-Jim
  • '11 Ford Expedition XL 5.4L (Primary tow vehicle)
  • '04 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L (Backup tow vehicle
  • '04 Ford Freestar SES 3.9L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '97 Lincoln Mark VIII 32v 4.6L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '95 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L (final Backup)

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
You will regret getting the 3.3. Get at least the 3.8. Make sure to get a good transmission cooler, quality hitch, and brake controller.
Jeep and Explorer

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3.3 2008 Caravan. It shifts gears like a tractor trailer. It will shift out of overdrive to climb over loose gravel in the road. Traveling West from Baltimore to Pittsburgh I take it out of OD and leave it out, these are hills I don't even notice with my 4cyl. Hyundai. Works fine as the family hauler, would not consider towing anything with it. Its just way underpowered to consider as an option.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having owned a 3.3, I would rather have the 3.8 with towing package. I your budget can handle it, what you really want is the Pentastar V6 with towing package an the 6-speed automatic. This has been out at least a couple years, and once a MoPar minivan gets into its second to third year, most of the big depreciation has passed and prices start looking more reasonable.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mrp116
Explorer
Explorer
I would be prepared to install a simple, single sway bar for that type of pop-up. I know two people that have that set-up and both said that they had sway issues on interstates. They installed a sway bar, and had a much more pleasurable towing experience. One tows with a mini van and one tows with an F150. You may not experience the sway issue, as I'm sure many do not.

pcfeld
Explorer
Explorer
Joe C wrote:
I have a 2003 Jayco 10 ft. fold out a camper trailer with the 2 ft. storage in front. It has size 14 radial tires. Trailer weight 1950 net about 2800 gross.
I plan on buying a 2008 to newer Grand Caravan.I was wondering if the
3.3 v6 could handle that weight or do I have to go to the 3.6 or 3.8v6.

I would go with the 3.8 making sure it has the tow package. A tow package doesn't mean it will have the hitch but the required mechanicals to handle to towing. The 3.8 will give you plenty of power to pull the 2800lb pup. I have towed my 3k pup with my '04 Town & Country and have not had any problems in 6 yrs. The T&C has 92k on and outside standard maintenance have had no problems with regards to the power train. I would make sure the pup has brakes and a good controller in the Grand Caravan.
Pat ('66)
Sandi ('67)
DD ('92)
DS ('95)
DS ('03
2001 Town & Country
2005 Chevy Avalanche
2004-Rockwood 2280
A few pictures

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer