cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C&D EV Tow Test

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I can already hear the apologists comments. But I still will post it so we all can see them.

Car & Driver
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
15 REPLIES 15

blt2ski
Bionic Man wrote:
SoonDockin wrote:
I'm getting my popcorn. Its left over from when horses where king and cars first appeared.

So, when electric cars were first around?

Late 1800- early 1900?!?!?

This test was a test. Results were as expected.

Some folks like an older sister find her electric BMW does just fine for her driving style. But she realizes an electric will not fit my drink needs. An electric would fit wife's needs.

Look at positives and negatives, move them around into carbon credits you need and want, then move on.

Yes the horse is alive and kicking, just not how one thinks it should be.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
SoonDockin wrote:
I'm getting my popcorn. Its left over from when horses where king and cars first appeared.

So, when electric cars were first around?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sorry, that was probably not funny...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
I don't think Mr. Ed is quite dead yet. Better take a few more swings at him.

No lifters to collapse in an EV! Just sayin....

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
News just in now. Barry Sullivan of CNBC World Wide Exchange said on CNBC TV very recently that a poll revealed over 50% of EV owners next car purchase would be a gasser not EV and 17% of EV owners would buy a different EV. Big problems with broken charge stations and not enough reliable chargers plus range. Title of his TV Interview is "IS it time to pull the plug on EVs" Just saying.

You can find this with easy Google search.

Here is a you tube direct link.

https://youtu.be/Ys-VmFDIq2o

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Why the double standard on beating a dead horse? There is still people in another thread thinking that an electric Semi will be built and go 621 miles on one charge. LOL What a Semi thread is doing in an RV towing forum I have no idea?

This is a towing forum and we discuss towing rigs. Be that gasoline, diesel, propane or electricity.

We discuss the good points and the bad. (hell, I remember years ago some kid came on this forum and he was going to put a 5th wheel hitch in the trunk of his Firebird and tow a trailer with it. Anybody remember that dude or the thread? LOL)

It's certainly nice to know what some of these trucks will tow and how good they will do it. It's great to know that that the math I worked out was proven by several magazines and and online videos. Around 100 mile and you are done for with an electric truck towing an average size trailer that a F150 would tow.

So if you want to take a month or two to go coast to coast with your electric pickup and trailer and charge for weeks doing it, so be it. Please don't get all butt hurt if someone says that sucks and I would never do that because I don't have the time to do it.

Speaking of charging. I noticed at two of the campgrounds I'm going to this week has in bold in their rules: "If you have an electric vehicle, DO NOT charge at your campsite. There is a charging station down the road that you can use for this purpose."

I saw that one coming a mile off.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
News just in now. Barry Sullivan of CNBC World Wide Exchange said on CNBC TV very recently that a poll revealed over 50% of EV owners next car purchase would be a gasser not EV and 17% of EV owners would buy a different EV. Big problems with broken charge stations and not enough reliable chargers plus range. Title of his TV Interview is "IS it time to pull the plug on EVs" Just saying.

You can find this with easy Google search.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
shelbyfv wrote:
Well heck, I'll save folks time and agitation. Range, range, range. Grid, grid, grid. Nasty metals....;)

Shoot, good to see you're finally starting to get it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
schlep1967 wrote:
Yep, like it or not it's getting jammed down our throats. Give it a few more months of too many people relying on water and electricity from one river. Once a third of our country loses it's electric supply they will be a hard sell.

LOL, that is a major problem, now. But don't worry, the dreamers are concocting a way to produce copious amounts of unicorn farts to run the power plants once Mead and Powell become just overgrown elk wallows.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, like it or not it's getting jammed down our throats. Give it a few more months of too many people relying on water and electricity from one river. Once a third of our country loses it's electric supply they will be a hard sell.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Explorer II
Explorer II
My Turn
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't think Mr. Ed is quite dead yet. Better take a few more swings at him.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm still interested in electric vehicles, if prices come down, but I don't see them being a realistic option for towing for quite some time. We just went to Tennessee a week and a half ago. 481 miles. I stopped once to refuel and grab some lunch, which resulted in about a 12 minute total delay to get off the highway, pull into the pumps, go inside and order sandwiches while my wife took the kids into the camper to pee, then back onto the highway. Any one of these electric vehicles would have required at least 4 stops. I have not yet seen an electric vehicle charging station that is set up for a vehicle that is towing a trailer, so I'm not sure how that would work. Then it seems like it takes a considerable amount of time to recharge, even with a fast charger, from empty.

We also take a 972 mile trip to Florida every year. That would require at least 10 stops, again for several hours at a time. If we would normally stop once or twice for the night, that brings us down to 8 stops to charge for several hours at a time. That will literally more than DOUBLE the 15 hour drive time to stop for charging. With my diesel truck, I could get by stopping only 3 times for fuel, but I usually fill up around 1/4 tank so I'll stop 4 times on that trip for fuel.

If I needed a commuter car, I might consider an electric vehicle for the right price. However, in non Covid times I can get a reliable ICE import car with lower miles for under $15k and spend a lot of money in gas to keep it running, which is far less expensive than a new electric vehicle. I worry about the future resale value of electric cars, because that battery bank has a lifespan and a high replacement cost too.

ETA, it looks like a level 2 22kW charger (standard for "fast" charging) will take 6-12 hours to fully charge a car battery. Rivian claims that with a 200kW rapid charger you can charge from 10% to 80% in 45 minutes. 80% is about 80 miles for all these trucks. Stopping every 80 miles (if you can find a rapid charger that is perfectly placed at the interval you need, and not already being used by someone else) simply isn't acceptable to me. Might as well go back to a horse and buggy if we're only getting that range...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS