cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cab over Camper shell?

georgeguenther
Explorer
Explorer
Hey y’all, I was wondering if y’all knew any camper shells that are over cab. I wasn’t really looking for the full camper, but I was hoping for a shell that wouldn’t be too expensive and I could slowly build into a camper myself. I was thinking about whether I could find one or if I would have to build it. It probably don’t matter, but I have a 1991 Dodge Ram d150 long bed.
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Since OP hasn’t responded in a few days, I’ll change the subject a bit.
30 year old 1/2 ton is not where I’d start for building any sort of truck camper unless it’s a cherry truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

keefr
Explorer
Explorer
Google the term "mobile treatment center". You will find several manufacturers of fibreglass shells which could easily suit your purpose.
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - George Carlin

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
You might try a fiberglass body from Fleetwest. They are meant for work trucks but would probably work for a truck camper.
https://www.fleetwest.net/product_type/fiberglass-bodies/
Sorry, I don't know how to make it a clicky.

Clicky, FLEETWEST.NET

This looks like a good choice, depending on the price.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes there are several mfgs selling unimproved shells.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen one. It was a fiberglass (like a boat hull construction), similar to a topper, but tal enough to stand in, and had a cab over, yet the sides were the same width as the truck. Gel coat exterior like a topper too. It was brand new and still smelled of the epoxy bc it was one day old, and the owners slept in it that night. They probably are dead by now from the carcenogins.
The interior looked like a topper with the rough sprayed-in fiberglass strands.
They intended to build it out also.
It attached same as a topper and maybe had the truck bed fully exposed, but not sure about that.
I cannot remember the brand, but just to tell you it does exist.
I saw it in NC, so wherever they got it was in NC or very close.
This was 5 yrs ago probably.
They were super excited about it and mpg was better than a TC.

Likely it could have been one of these as posted above
https://www.fleetwest.net/product/335/

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Fourwheel campers sell shell versions of their popup campers for exactly your purpose. No exactly cheap though.
Cal

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You might try a fiberglass body from Fleetwest. They are meant for work trucks but would probably work for a truck camper.
https://www.fleetwest.net/product_type/fiberglass-bodies/
Sorry, I don't know how to make it a clicky.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
They were very popular in the 70s. Not so much now. Beaver made 3 or 4 different models.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Capri campers makes a real basic cabover and would most likely just sell a shell..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04