cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camco Trailer Aid did not aid at all

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered Goodyear tires for the Apex, decided I'd take the wheels / Castle Rocks off myself and take them to the shop. Pulled up on the Camco Trailer Aid and the tire didn't lift any at all. The shackles simply transferred the weight to the tire on the ground. So after 30 minutes of prep unhooking everything, swapping hitches, hooking up, moving twice, removing RV hitch from truck....I got out the trusty jacks and two spare tires. 30 minutes later I was done removing all four tires the old fashioned way. One spare on each side, one jack under the front springs. Sometimes it pays to trust your instincts and not the sales pitch LOL!
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS
22 REPLIES 22

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
This is why it is a good idea to do a tire change test to ensure you have the correct equipment and the correct approach to changing a tire on the road.
It's all fun and games in your driveway. But on the side of the interstate is no time to find out your not properly prepared/equipped
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Camco Trailer Aid did not aid at all

Bet'cher glad you weren't on the road in DFW rush hour traffic and had a flat tire on I-35 inner loop....or on a dark and lonely state hiway 52 miles from the nearest small town. Pre ops required before hitting the road.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
The one time I have ever used mine, (I had the "plus" model), it got the wheel with the flat (actually shredded) tire up high enough to remove the wheel. It was not high enough to put a good tire on until I put a standard car jack under the axle and raised it a few inches.

That's pretty much what the rep said would happen.
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one time I have ever used mine, (I had the "plus" model), it got the wheel with the flat (actually shredded) tire up high enough to remove the wheel. It was not high enough to put a good tire on until I put a standard car jack under the axle and raised it a few inches.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have both incase the other is just hype.

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Yep. Those only work on the torsion type axles.

I'm not sure about that, the ad literally shows leaf springs like my setup. According to the manufacture, I need the extra 1.5 inches from the "plus" model and a flat tire LOL!
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
The Trailer Aid Plus I have worked on my 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB. It had 3500# tandem axles. They definitely were not Torsion axles.

dodge guy wrote:
lwbfl wrote:
I ordered Goodyear tires for the Apex, decided I'd take the wheels / Castle Rocks off myself and take them to the shop. Pulled up on the Camco Trailer Aid and the tire didn't lift any at all. The shackles simply transferred the weight to the tire on the ground. So after 30 minutes of prep unhooking everything, swapping hitches, hooking up, moving twice, removing RV hitch from truck....I got out the trusty jacks and two spare tires. 30 minutes later I was done removing all four tires the old fashioned way. One spare on each side, one jack under the front springs. Sometimes it pays to trust your instincts and not the sales pitch LOL!

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
lwbfl wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!