cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds without sewer hook up

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We went camping with our Bullet Premier 32BH for the first time during Labor Day weekend. Before the Bullet Premier we had a pop-up ( had to campgrounds facilities). We used the sewer connection at the campground and we really enjoyed using the facilities of the Premier camper(shower, sink, toilet). My question is this: What do you do when you go to a campground that does not have sewer? Can the shower still be used? The kitchen sink? I'm unclear on how that works. Does it mean that we're stuck and would have to use the dump station for the shower and kitchen sink? Or buy one of those carts?

Thanks for your experienced input...
87 REPLIES 87

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
So... OP, what do you think now?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

antiquedrose
Explorer
Explorer
To conserve water, use home made soap, yours or purchased. It rinses much more quickly than factory made 'soap' (really is detergent) and much much more quickly and cleanly than the liquid 'soap' marketed for showering. You can save lots of water this way and your skin feels so nice. Additionally, shampooing with it makes short work of hair rinsing.

I even wash dishes sometimes with homemade soap, it's effective and also rinses quickly.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
Good point Never2. But, I never throw beer down the drain. :B

:B LOL

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good point Never2. But, I never throw beer down the drain. :B
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:

Some of you say it is OK to throw out your dishwater but not OK to dump some grey water. Isn't this the same thing? Is it quantities you are concerned with? And, how many of you have seen tent trailers set up in camp with a short hose dumping into a 5 gallon bucket? When the bucket is filled, it is almost always dumped at the base of the nearest bush or shrub.

I can't speak for others... but on my camping trips the difference is as follows:

1) Dishwasher contains only water, biodegradable dish soap, and a little bit of food bits.

2) Grey Water tank contains water, toothpaste, shampoo, regular soap (not biodegradable), hand soap, mouthwash, lotions / sunscreen, coffee grinds, discarded juice / milk / beer / soda, ect.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
Howie3 wrote:
aftermath wrote:
Grey water? I am somewhat perplexed about some of the positions taken here regarding handling of grey water. I have been camping for 40+ years and have seen many things. Many, but not all, campgrounds strictly forbid dumping grey water. Many, but not all, of those campgrounds provide facilities to dump your grey water.

Some of you say it is OK to throw out your dishwater but not OK to dump some grey water. Isn't this the same thing? Is it quantities you are concerned with? And, how many of you have seen tent trailers set up in camp with a short hose dumping into a 5 gallon bucket? When the bucket is filled, it is almost always dumped at the base of the nearest bush or shrub.

So, throw out your dishwater or dump your bucket filled with dish water and that is fine. Empty a grey tank and you are in trouble. Now, to calm some of you down, this is another one of those "grey" areas and not one that is simply black or white. NO, you should never dump grey water on the ground at your site. You could run a hose into a shrub line or a group of bushes and do them a favor. NO, you should never do this anywhere it is expressly forbidden.

I for one spend a lot of time camping in arid climates where a little extra water is a good thing for the flora. Perhaps that is why some places say nothing about handling grey water. You have to be very selective if you do this and yes, it is important to make sure every thing is clean and does not become a problem for the next camper.

The difference is a grey water tank gets rancid very quickly whereas the water you just used to wash the dishes is essentially 'fresh'. When we don't have a sewer hookup we wash the dishes outside in a basin and toss the water at a thirsty tree (as long as the rules don't prohibit it). Any food particles are quickly consumed by the many forest critters so no lasting effects except some irrigation. Of course, I would never do this at a manicured CG but only in a rustic, forested location. Saves filling up the grey tank and makes the campsite greener.

Dumping grey water in our campgrounds can attract some pretty big forest critters. When this occurs... you don't need to worry about filling your black tank too soon... cause these critters will have you dumping in your drawers.

I can only imagine!

Around here the majority of provincial parks have only small critters exploring around the camp sites. Occasionally a bear will sniff around, but there is no food reward for a bear licking some discarded dish water. Typically the bears are rewarded with coolers from tent campers.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
Howie3 wrote:
aftermath wrote:
Grey water? I am somewhat perplexed about some of the positions taken here regarding handling of grey water. I have been camping for 40+ years and have seen many things. Many, but not all, campgrounds strictly forbid dumping grey water. Many, but not all, of those campgrounds provide facilities to dump your grey water.

So, throw out your dishwater or dump your bucket filled with dish water and that is fine. Empty a grey tank and you are in trouble. Now, to calm some of you down, this is another one of those "grey" areas and not one that is simply black or white. NO, you should never dump grey water on the ground at your site. You could run a hose into a shrub line or a group of bushes and do them a favor. NO, you should never do this anywhere it is expressly forbidden.

I for one spend a lot of time camping in arid climates where a little extra water is a good thing for the flora. Perhaps that is why some places say nothing about handling grey water. You have to be very selective if you do this and yes, it is important to make sure every thing is clean and does not become a problem for the next camper.

The difference is a grey water tank gets rancid very quickly whereas the water you just used to wash the dishes is essentially 'fresh'. When we don't have a sewer hookup we wash the dishes outside in a basin and toss the water at a thirsty tree (as long as the rules don't prohibit it). Any food particles are quickly consumed by the many forest critters so no lasting effects except some irrigation. Of course, I would never do this at a manicured CG but only in a rustic, forested location. Saves filling up the grey tank and makes the campsite greener.

Dumping grey water in our campgrounds can attract some pretty big forest critters. When this occurs... you don't need to worry about filling your black tank too soon... cause these critters will have you dumping in your drawers.

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just spent 3 days boondocking in the RV lot at the Georgia Dome over Labor Day weekend.

We had no problem. We have 42 gal FW, 40 gal GW, and 40 gal BW.

Had no problem with washing dishes. We have a communial cooking/eating area. All dishes and "silver" ware are disposal.

Took showers everyday, and didn't get close to filling up the gray tank.

We dumped shortly after leaving Atlanta at a Pilot/Flying J. Cost $5.00.

Crawfordville wrote:
We went camping with our Bullet Premier 32BH for the first time during Labor Day weekend. Before the Bullet Premier we had a pop-up ( had to campgrounds facilities). We used the sewer connection at the campground and we really enjoyed using the facilities of the Premier camper(shower, sink, toilet). My question is this: What do you do when you go to a campground that does not have sewer? Can the shower still be used? The kitchen sink? I'm unclear on how that works. Does it mean that we're stuck and would have to use the dump station for the shower and kitchen sink? Or buy one of those carts?

Thanks for your experienced input...
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:

which becomes a pyramid of POO.

Are we talking about the whole thread here? And, I can never tell when it is gray or when it is grey. Does that have something to do with being north of the border or south?
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
Can't believe this thread ....

DITTO.

all this discussion of gray water and grey water gets overwhelming!
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Odessa Grandma wrote:
f you leave the valve open the liquid waste flushes on out and leaves the solids to build up in the holding tank. Ugh!!!

which becomes a pyramid of POO.
Bob

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II

2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Can't believe this thread ....
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
Crawfordville wrote:
That is what I thought - that we would have to use one of those containers or literally hook the camper up and go to the dump station. It just seems to me that all that effort really takes the joy and fun out of camping. For me, I think we are going to steer clear of campgrounds that don't have a sewer connection.

Try experimenting a bit the next time you go out. The great thing about full hookup is you can experiment with a safety net.

First and most important is to realize that even when you are at a full hookup site you should always leave the blank tank valve closed. If you leave that valve open you will wind up with a big pyramid of poop in the tank under the toilet. Leave the black tank valve closed until the tank is at least 3/4 full before you go out and pull the lever to dump.

Since you're already hooked up try simulating for the weekend that you are at a Water/Electric only site. This is easy to do as you just hook everything up but leave the black and gray tanks closed. You will still have all the water and electricity you need but limited tank capacity.
Now just camp as you would normally,being aware that you will have to check the tank levels from time to time. If you make it the whole trip without filling the tanks you know that you can make it without a sewer hookup. If you do though fill the tanks, send your husband outside to pull the levers and empty the tanks as you're still at a full hookup site.

If you make it through the trip without filling the tanks the only difference between a full hookup and a partial hookup (non sewer) site is that with a partial site you will have to stop at the dump station on the way out of the campground to empty the tanks. This adds a bit of time to your departure, but most people just take it in stride as part of the experience.

Open spaces you bring up good rational points vs. some of us that are feel it must always choose FHU or W/E is always better.
The true beauty is that you can do both.

Yes there is a learning curve to going with out FHU. You must manage your water usage vs. not worrying about it. But in the end if you can do W/E or E only you will have access to a whole lot of additional sites that are very worthwhile places to camp.

Choosing to go exclusively FHU or to strictly choose W/E only is very limiting.

There are many varieties and variations of the camping experience,committing to only one style reduces the adventure.
In the end its all about the adventure.

Otherwise we could all stay at the Holiday Inn " Where the best Surprise is No Surprise!"
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637