cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds without sewer hook up

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We went camping with our Bullet Premier 32BH for the first time during Labor Day weekend. Before the Bullet Premier we had a pop-up ( had to campgrounds facilities). We used the sewer connection at the campground and we really enjoyed using the facilities of the Premier camper(shower, sink, toilet). My question is this: What do you do when you go to a campground that does not have sewer? Can the shower still be used? The kitchen sink? I'm unclear on how that works. Does it mean that we're stuck and would have to use the dump station for the shower and kitchen sink? Or buy one of those carts?

Thanks for your experienced input...
87 REPLIES 87

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Crawfordville wrote:
That is what I thought - that we would have to use one of those containers or literally hook the camper up and go to the dump station. It just seems to me that all that effort really takes the joy and fun out of camping. For me, I think we are going to steer clear of campgrounds that don't have a sewer connection.

No need to.

I guess it depends on how long your camping and how frugal you are using water. My average camping trip is 4 days. I use the trailer facilities 100% of the time. Just dump on the way out. Like you, i camped in a pop-up (17 years) I love the fact that I now have all the comforts of home. (not to mention a big fridge, A/C, microwave) but the biggest plus is indoor plumbing!!!

A few things you can do so your tanks don't fill up to fast and you fresh water will last.

-don't let the water run like you would at home.

-when washing dishes, use a dish pan to wash and rinse so the waste water isn't going into your grey tank. our sink has a cutting board cover so we put dishes in the sink until its time to wash. Use the water to put our your fire at the end of the night.

-take military showers. wet down, turn off, lather up, rinse off, and your done.

-some people (not me) even go to the extreme of not flushing the toilet after they go #1. "if its yellow let it mellow. if its brown flush it down"

-Don't let the water run when brushing your teeth.

- a few trips a year we're camping for 10 days or more. In that case we always use the CG showers. one trip is always for 2 weeks over the 4th of July holiday. that is the only time I bring my "Honey Wagon" with me. I usually make 2 trips, 1 for black and 1 for grey. that will usually by me enough space to get me through.

You paid for all these comforts. USE THEM!!! :O)
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
Crawfordville-

My wife and I went to a campground that had no sewer. we where able to use the toilet shower and kitchen sink lucky for us there was a state that had a dump station. This was in Minnesota;)
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
the_happiestcamper wrote:
Nvr2loud wrote:
sbowman871 wrote:
Who dumps grey water at their site with camper marker lights on?

I see what you're trying to do here.... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Depends on the music playing.

I didn't say anything negative about music... ๐Ÿ™‚

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Nvr2loud wrote:
sbowman871 wrote:

Depends on the music playing.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bit Bucket wrote:
IndyCamp wrote:
PA12DRVR wrote:

I would say use your RV in whatever way is enjoyable to you. It's your RV and your choice.

I absolutely agree.

It is your trailer and you should use it however you see fit. We aren't paying for it or using it.

I get really tired of hearing people tell me what I should buy or how I should use the things I buy. Everyone is different and everyone "camps" in different ways. The $2,000,000 Prevost owners do it one way and the backpackers who don't shower for weeks do it another way. The rest of us are probably somewhere in between.

No matter what, have fun. You're not home, you're not at work, and you're out in nature. Enjoy it!

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

Don't let any of these people push their version of camping down your throat. Don't let anybody convince you are "missing out" because your choices are different than theirs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with only camping at places with full hookups if that is your preference. Your life will be just as good as all the people who say you are missing out. There is nothing wrong with only boondocking in remote areas and avoiding campgrounds if that is what you want.

The only thing "wrong" is people telling others what they should be doing or pretending their experience is somehow superior to yours because you don't do it their way!

The OP is obviously new. I would agree everyone has their own preference.
My point to the OP is there is nothing wrong with using FHU however there is more of a difference between many FHU sites and a non FHU site than just the sewer connection.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
sbowman871 wrote:

Larry_C
Explorer
Explorer
During 40 years of using RV's from fold down campers to bus conversions, I guess I never realized how much advice was available in regards to holding tank protocol.
Amazing..
Larry C
A day spent fishing is not subtracted from your life span.

Bit_Bucket
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
PA12DRVR wrote:

I would say use your RV in whatever way is enjoyable to you. It's your RV and your choice.

I absolutely agree.

It is your trailer and you should use it however you see fit. We aren't paying for it or using it.

I get really tired of hearing people tell me what I should buy or how I should use the things I buy. Everyone is different and everyone "camps" in different ways. The $2,000,000 Prevost owners do it one way and the backpackers who don't shower for weeks do it another way. The rest of us are probably somewhere in between.

No matter what, have fun. You're not home, you're not at work, and you're out in nature. Enjoy it!

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

Don't let any of these people push their version of camping down your throat. Don't let anybody convince you are "missing out" because your choices are different than theirs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with only camping at places with full hookups if that is your preference. Your life will be just as good as all the people who say you are missing out. There is nothing wrong with only boondocking in remote areas and avoiding campgrounds if that is what you want.

The only thing "wrong" is people telling others what they should be doing or pretending their experience is somehow superior to yours because you don't do it their way!

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:

I absolutely agree.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

daveyboy12
Explorer
Explorer
I only use biodegradable soaps and lotions in my TT. I typically wait until the evenings, flame up a lickty split fire in the pit,, and attache the hose and drain the grey tanks off to the side,,, haven't had anyone complain yet.

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR - St. Joseph state park is in my neck of the woods. I love that place. Absolutely beautiful!!

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Crawfordville said: "But one does not have to camp there in order to experience the park."

Truer words were never spoken. DW and I took our RV's (TT & 5W) to St. Joseph Peninsula State Park (Apalachicola area) for 11- 12 years. Well, last year, we found ourselves with no RV, but wanting to visit: we rented a house PSJ and drove into the park. Strangely enough, the sand was still white, we still enjoyed the waves crashing on the beach, and even saw deer in the early a.m.

For those that say one is not camping unless boondocking, I would suggest that the definition of "Camping" varies: in my view, if you want to camp, let me know and we'll pile into the PA12, no more than 45#'s of gear each, BTW, and fly over to Lake Clark, King Salmon, Purkeypile, Farewell, or the Fortymile area for a week of hiking and fishing: Camping to me means there has to be a tent and backpack involved. Otherwise it's "Car camping" or "RV'ng" even without hookups!
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
So... OP, what do you think now?

I think I will choose my words carefully ๐Ÿ™‚

My sentiments remain pretty much the same. I tend to agree with Seattle Lion comments and others that are similar. As we become more experienced perhaps our mindset will change. We go to state parks and national parks - I get it - many are beautiful. But one does not have to camp there in order to experience the park.