cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping on Interstate 5 around the 46 in California?

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I'll be taking a little trip to Big Sur this week and want to stop somewhere around the intersection of the 5 and the 46 for just one night on the way. Any recommendations? I don't need hookups, but do like it a bit quiet and peaceful with something to look at..

Thanks in advance!
Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992
16 REPLIES 16

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
5 and 46. I boondock in the large area right after turning west on to 46 in to the service area. Lots of space. Run genny for ac if hot, no issues. There is an RV park in this service area also, but lots of boon docking space. HWY 46 has come a long ways in safety over the years. Use to be called blood alley.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
The raccoons used to be pretty thick at Nacimento and in the campground 🙂

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, AnEv942.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Well-simplifies the decision process.

Just outside of Paso Robles-
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7485977,-120.8947406,15z/data=!5m1!1e1?hl=en
Lot of the listings under Lake Nacimiento Resort. Oak Knoll just one the campground loops within park.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm.. where is that? Google maps doesn't have it. And I'd like to know how you like it!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Well here's what transpired... We are staying at the Oak Knoll campground at Lake Nacimiento for the night. I was overruled for dry camping anywhere this trip... 😞 Anyway, Thanks again for your help!

Happy camping!

Dak

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! Now I've got options I hadn't thought about. See? this is one reason I love this site! I'll look up some of those I had not heard about and will most definitely consider Hwy 58. It's been years since I've driven that and it was in a car at the time. I'm not afraid of heights and I have new brakes on the truck too! 🙂

Thanks again!

Dak

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Something to look at? ... not much out there
http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?q=Intersta+5+and+hiway+46+rv&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

But there's an RV park in Lost Hills, think it used to be a KOA, block from 5/46 http://losthillsrvpark.com/NOT a destination but we stayed there one night stopover. Cant say all that quite so close to freeway, stations etc but convenient fuel food services. Havent been over 46 in a while but curious whats at Blackwells corner now? Didnt use to be any thing but a place to buy nuts.
The 58 is a really nice drive if you have time, once you get into the hills. Very scenic. It'll add a good hour or better but once over if you turn left/south toward Santa Margartia Lake (though almost empty) but nice campground, trails, theres also KOA just before the lake. Or right/north into town of Santa Margarita and onto 101 to Astacasdero, 41 over to Hiway1/Morro Bay.
All about time...
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
There is camping at the San Juan reservoir, off 5 a bit north of 46. It's ok. Nothing to write home about, but better than anything else along that stretch AFAIK. Lake, shade structures, big sky, out in the middle of nowhere...

You can also camp along the coalinga road, some BLM in the Diablo Range I have not been to but mean to next time I am in the area. Looks awfully pretty in pictures.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
If you like boondocking, hwy 58 is unbelievably gorgeous and with many huge pullouts and some side roads. You don't have to go in to the Carrizo if you don't want to, although it's awfully neato.

Be aware that the section of 58 east of Carrizo has a dropoff and no guard rail if you are headed west. Two lanes, very curvy. But really incredible views. The section west of Carrizo is tamer, but still very pretty.

Caveat: I've been there twice, but both times were in March. It could be drier by now, I'm not sure.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Go on to Paso Robles. There are at least three nice rv parks there. We prefer the one on the east side. The one on the north side of town and on the west side of the 101 looks good, but the one on the east side just north is way too close to the 101.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
Nice, but not anywhere near the 46

It's a lower cut over to the coast via 58 where it hits 101 only 12 miles from where 46 does.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, if I was headed out 46 towards Big Sur I would drive another hour to Paso Robles. There is *very* little to look at in the SW corner of the San Juaquin valley in my opinion.

Have you considered the Nacimiento road over to Big Sur area? Not the fastest route for sure, but quite a scenic drive that few people experience. Don't do it if you have a fear of heights.....
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice, but not anywhere near the 46
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman