cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I purchase any wheel with the right size & bolt pattern?

Sheepdog85
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to add a second spare tire and I was quoted $174 for a direct replacement from factory of what is on my trailer now.

That is ridiculous if you ask me. A quick search came up with these for $56 each.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/liquid-metal-supreme-hd

Am I missing something as far as quality or specifications that justifies the $174 price from the dealer?

Or is it ok, and smarter, to just go with a new wheel at a better price?
2019 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265bh
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
25 REPLIES 25

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for a aluminum wheel or steel?

Here is a link to a wheel company.

https://www.trailer-wheels.com/Sendel-Trailer-Wheels_c_430.html

I see your in Ca. I would check with America's or Discount tire for the GY Endurance tire.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
It has been my experience that the most likely thing to go wrong will be the one thing you did not prepare for.
Get the extra spare... If you don't it is a sure thing you will need it.
:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Junket
Explorer
Explorer
After 50 years of towing some kind of trailer.Things to consider

1 Bolt spacing.Not same don't fit

2 Backing spacing.Some don't fit over disk or drums brakes

3 Center hole. some auto wont fit trailer some trailer have larger wheel bearings.

Tire should be same size trailer.Even a may pop 😉 should get you 50+ -
miles till repair
Ken
2005 Dodge Cummins 610 325Hp 3.73 Auto
2016 Wildcat 26FBS
Go Fast 66 Cobra replica 500+HP Richmond 6sp
2015 Jeep unlimited
23ft. Striper boat

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not use 1 of the tires you are taking off and put that on your new spare wheel?
Puma 30RKSS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The spare rim and tire I have for my TT are off of a car. I just use them for a spare. If I need it I would put it on. Then go to the closest place and get something better. At least I could get it off of the road.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
You might consider calling around to savage yards. I never did it for a trailer but replaced the low profile wheels on my not-yet-wife's car years back (low profile don't like curbs) and it was a tiny fraction of the price of new cheap steel wheels.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Well that makes perfect sense. And about the only scenario that begets a real potential need for redundant spare tires.
(FWIW, you can sleep better also know that the trip is not that bad or that hard on vehicles as long as you taker easy over the frost heaves that you see. It's the ones you miss that'll wake the kids up in the back seat!)

Does your trailer just have the black steel wheels like the brochure pic? 14"?
If so, GD is out of their minds charging that much for a cheap stamped wheel! Maybe if it was a nice matching custom 15" aluminum wheel.
What I'd do, since you're replacing the OE tires which are basically new, correct?
Great to have the "best" tires on the road, although not a necessity.
Use 2 of your takeoff tires, buy a couple rims either new or off craigslist/FB.
Voila, you have 2 spares for less than $100.
You shouldn't need them and I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for top notch tires just to park them as spares, "just in case."

More importantly, I'd have a way to air up tires (small compressor), tire plug kit and a colby valve to repair a leaky valve stem. I'd likely not even carry 2 spare rims, but rather an un-mounted tire and bring my tire spoons in the highly unlikely scenario I blew 2 tires between towns.

Pulled 2 different trailers up the Alcan a few years ago, both during mud season, so frost heaves were at their worst. No issues with tires, fortunately.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sheepdog85
Explorer
Explorer
I was too brief in my post. Here are more details to clear up the confusion.

I am going to add a spare tire to my rig. In order to do that I need to purchase a tire and wheel. I am purchasing the Goodyear Endurance from Camping World for $124. (mounting and balancing additional)

I asked the RV dealer for a quote on a matching wheel. They quoted me $174 for a matching wheel from Grand Design. (wheel only, without the tire, even the center cap and lug nuts are extra $)

I did a quick google search and found that you can buy trailer wheels from many brands/dealers from as low as $35 dollars a piece. I picked one that appeared to be decent in quality and price.

What I learned from your replies is that
- I need to also consider the offset
- etrailer is a recommended source for wheels

@Grit_dog (and anyone else asking why am I adding a second spare)
We are will be traveling from Southern California to Alaska. There are a lot of issues with frost heaves on the highways through Canada. The "issue" is that I am concerned about being far from a shop without a backup to my back up. To address the primary issue of a potential flat tire/blowout we are upgrading all the tires to the Goodyear Endurance, which is fixing the issue like you suggested. But adding the second spare is going to help me sleep better at night. Thanks for your input though because it forced me to re-think the plan and make sure I wasn't doing it just because.
2019 Dodge Ram 3500

Sheepdog85
Explorer
Explorer
I was too brief in my post. Here are more details to clear up the confusion.

I am going to add a spare tire to my rig. In order to do that I need to purchase a tire and wheel. I am purchasing the Goodyear Endurance from Camping World for $124. (mounting and balancing additional)

I asked the RV dealer for a quote on a matching wheel. They quoted me $174 for a matching wheel from Grand Design. (wheel only, without the tire, even the center cap and lug nuts are extra $)

I did a quick google search and found that you can buy trailer wheels from many brands/dealers from as low as $35 dollars a piece. I picked one that appeared to be decent in quality and price.

What I learned from your replies is that
- I need to also consider the offset
- etrailer is a recommended source for wheels

@Grit_dog (and anyone else asking why am I adding a second spare)
We are will be traveling from Southern California to Alaska. There are a lot of issues with frost heaves on the highways through Canada. The "issue" is that I am concerned about being far from a shop without a backup to my back up. To address the primary issue of a potential flat tire/blowout we are upgrading all the tires to the Goodyear Endurance, which is fixing the issue like you suggested. But adding the second spare is going to help me sleep better at night. Thanks for your input though because it forced me to re-think the plan and make sure I wasn't doing it just because.
2019 Dodge Ram 3500

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Wheel: www.etrailer.com

That's where I buy new wheels.

Tire: your favorite local tire store. I go to Discount tire and get tires that match what I currently have

Yep, exactly what I do.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI. Trailer wheels are special as the hub/bolt hole mounting area is thicker. Specifically where the lug nuts seat. Otherwise with the twisting of the tandem axl it will crack the mounting flange!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Wheel: www.etrailer.com

That's where I buy new wheels.

Tire: your favorite local tire store. I go to Discount tire and get tires that match what I currently have
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spares are just that, spares. I bought 2 new mounted tires online for less than $100 including shipping. They have made just fine SPARES.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Check etrailer.com. They will also mount a tire on it if you buy it there.