cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we travel with fresh tank full? We lose half on the way.

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I fill up my fresh water tank I lose half of the water on the way. So when I get to the campground I top it off.

My friend thought it was odd I had this problem until he ran out of water the next day. I think he lost water as well.

My guess is that the water spills out through the overflow hoses when we go up and down the hills.

Is this normal? Is there anything I could do here?

I wonder if the trailer is actually made to travel with the fresh water tank full.
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)
38 REPLIES 38

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
If i make a fast right turn with a full tank I will lose a little water going down the road. But I've never lost half a tank of water during a trip

Like said above, put an S in the line to help stop it
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine will do that. Do you have a hose that goes back up to the gravity fill spout? On this trailer and my previous one they just put in the vent tube and left it, no hose! So the sloshing would always be spilling out water. With my previous trailer I bought a piece of clear hose and ran it from the overflow/vent to the vent at the gravity fill. Never lost any water after that. On my current one I haven't done it because I don't need anymore than 5-7 gallons for a couple of flushes and hand washing. If I need to I fill up when I get to where I'm going.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of it before this post. Something I will have to look for if I switch from Northwood, their vent is up where you fill.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue with my Class A motorhome. The overflow/vent outlet is poorly located on the side. I lose a lot of water in transit, when I make a left turn and when I am on an incline that makes the water flow to the passenger side. I modified the routing of the overflow/vent line. It helped some, but I still lose too much water. I think what I really need to do is take the tank out and relocate the overflow/vent outlet to the top-center of the tank. I've got to do a little research, but it doesn't look like it will be that difficult.

I've attached my before and after pics.

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Make the vent tube a big S that may stop it
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

I put a ball valve on my over flow tube . .as soon as I get to the campground , it gets opened up with no loss of water..

Once that siphon starts , its hard to stop it.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I lose little (if any) fresh water. But, my fresh tank is beneath the floor (external) so there is a big elevation change between the fill and breather point and the tank on my trailer.

I have seen some trailers lose a little bit on sweeping right handers or big bumps while traveling. But that doesn't mean that the other were not carrying water.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
see if you can raise your vent .a few inch,s mite just do it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used to lose a lot of water thru the overflow, especially at one campground where you stop to toss the trash on the way out, the right rear was on a low spot but don't think it was near to being half of the tank. I wouldn't plug the vent since it is guaranteed that you will forget to unplug it some time.
bumpy