cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

carbon Monoxide alarm going off

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trip w/ our new travel trailer (2 months old) the carbon monoxide alarm goes off when I run the hot water heater on gas. The alarm is located 6" off the floor on the opposite side of where the hot water heater is located. Why is gas coming inside a new trailer? The alarm is a dual alarm for both propane and carbon monoxide. Its obvious that the mfgr has a problem w/ the heater installation that allows CO2 to come inside the tlr.

I'm pis#$ off and just venting.

2019 Flagstaff micro lite 21DS
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
32 REPLIES 32

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Your floor is heating up releasing off gasses from the glues is the issue

I smell co2 not glue!

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
CO detectors can and do go bad. Occasionally very early. I had one and the dealer replaced it under warranty. Someone once told me to replace them every 2 years fwiw.

Oh, and pineapple soaked in beer is best for dog farts.

But I smell Co2

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Can you smell propane down by the floor?
If it is propane, I’d check every connection with soapy water in a spray bottle.
I check our detector every spring with a propane torch. Unlit, of course.

It’s not propane the light on is carbon monoxide side of alarm

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Check your batteries voltage when it goes off as it has three detectors...one for low voltage.

Battery voltage was 13 amps

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
It would be next to impossible for CO to find its way inside the rig from the water heater. You would need to have a huge hole somewhere in the sidewall, a large gap around the water heater mounting flange itself, or some off the wall condition where its coming in through a window or vent. I would guess a defective alarm as the ones used by the OEMS are the cheapest obtainable.

You don't have a farting dog in the rig do you?
co2 is coming in thru some opening when I light the heater.
Tested it several times. I know it’s the heater

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Check your batteries voltage when it goes off as it has three detectors...one for low voltage.
new battteries are strong!

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I could smell carbon monoxide by the alarm and the light on the co2 side was on. I blew air into the alarm to get it to stop. It only comes on when I run the water heater It is not propane

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
It could actually be CO setting off the alarm. I had the same problem when wind was blowing against the side of the trailer where the water heater was located. There was a small opening around the propane connection and the wiring going into the trailer. Sealed it with duct seal and the problem went away.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Your floor is heating up releasing off gasses from the glues is the issue

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
CO detectors can and do go bad. Occasionally very early. I had one and the dealer replaced it under warranty. Someone once told me to replace them every 2 years fwiw.

Oh, and pineapple soaked in beer is best for dog farts.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

My dog farts a lot..! ! :B

If you give him / her 4 or 5 slices of really good Swiss cheese it will put an end to that. At least on a temporary basis.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I once had my CO detector repeatedly alarm. I shutdown the propane at the tanks so there was no propane or co2 anywhere in the camper, but the alarm continued to go off. I finally figured out the problem - some ripe bananas my wife had put in one of the cupboards.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Can you smell propane down by the floor?
If it is propane, I’d check every connection with soapy water in a spray bottle.
I check our detector every spring with a propane torch. Unlit, of course.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

BillyBob Jim wrote:
It would be next to impossible for CO to find its way inside the rig from the water heater. You would need to have a huge hole somewhere in the sidewall, a large gap around the water heater mounting flange itself, or some off the wall condition where its coming in through a window or vent. I would guess a defective alarm as the ones used by the OEMS are the cheapest obtainable.

You don't have a farting dog in the rig do you?

My dog farts a lot..! ! :B

BUT anyway, we HAD a trailer that the detector used to go off every time my wife used her hair spray..or cleaned with a certain cleaner
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
We get water heater exhaust in the RV all the time since it's located directly below a window. We shut the window when using the propane feature of the water heater.