cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

carbon monoxide detector

MO_Rookie
Explorer
Explorer
This will be the third summer we have had our travel trailer the past two trips we have taken the detector has went off in the middle of the night. Did not stay on long only went off once each time I don't believe I have a leak I think the sensor may be bad. Is this a common problem do they have to be replaced periodically.
5 REPLIES 5

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
Look on the back and it should have an expiration date. Extremely important

X2.

The very friendly folks at the Fire Department kindly took the time to point mine out to me... I'd just never considered it would be bad with the house being so new...
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Its most likely just bad.

Had that happen in my stick&brick house. The house is just over three years old and I got a call from my wife that the alarm started going off non stop with no warning at all and would not stop until she pulled it off the ceiling.

To be safe they left the house and I came home early from work. Check the manufacturers website where they said to clean out any dust or dead bugs or whatever might have been in there.

Did that and with just me in the house I plugged it back in and all indications was that it was fine. No alarm and the indicator lights said all was well.

Fast forward 2 hours - I'm working from home now and DW and DD have returned home. And... Off it goes again. Again non stop... I'm concerned now because I can't see any indicator that says its at its End Of Life, and we didn't have any gas appliances running, but there it was.

So. The wife is a huge worry wart. I was pretty sure that it was just gone bad - but not 100%. So just to be safe I had DW call our Fire Department and explain the situation.

I have to keep it unplugged at this point because I have a Autistc child that does not tolerate suddenly very loud noises that he does not expect very well and he was just home from school.

Our very awesome Fire Department told us that indeed it was most likely bad. But they still sent a crew to our house with portable detectors just to be sure. All was well, DS was thrilled to see the Firetruck at our house, and I knew all I needed was a new detector...

I'm not suggesting you call the Fire Department. Just that most likely the detector is just at its EOL. Especially if you aren't running anything that uses propane in your rig. If you want to be completely safe while you get a new one just run on electric as much as possible and take some precautions like turning off the HW while you aren't actually using it at least the Propane side of it if its gas and electric. Same for the fridge and I'm thinking you probably aren't using the furnace at this time of the year.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Explorer
Explorer
Look on the back and it should have an expiration date. Extremely important
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Typically they are good for about five years. Why not get one with a readout. That way if there is an alarm you will be able to know what the level is.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, they have a limited life. It will eventually go off all the time.