cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat fuel filter for Duramax

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Duramax and know that the injectors go bad around 150000 miles. I heard that the reason for the injectors going out is lack of filtertaion from the stock fuel filter. A guy told me that a special cat fuel filter would prolong the life of the injectors. Anybody had this done on your Duramax?
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Baldwin BF 9882 is a direct replacement 2 micron filter. About as good as it gets. OE GM filter or others are 4-5 micron iirc.
You can get an adapter to run more traditional Cat, Baldwin, etc filters but I believe you lose the Water in fuel sensing and water drain.
Don't double up filters on a Dmax. No lift pump, the cp3 pulls fuel from the tank and won't like the extra resistance of redundant filtering.
Need to add a lift pump if you're going to run multiple filters.
And yes if you got that many miles on original lb7 injectors, you're better than average and filtration wasn't the inherent problem.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/duramax_fuel_filter_kit.html

I'm running the same Cat dual filter setup on my Ram. Last time I changed my filters (3) the OEM Mopar was hardly discolored. Pretty happy so far.

blt2ski
If I were THAT worried about filtering. I would probably find a Racor and put it inline with the factory one. Those of us with boats do this a lot. Have a Racor first in line that is 20-30 microns, then the one on the motor have it be a 2 micron to catch what the first one does not.
Using ONLY a 2 micron would clog the system more than one would want generally speaking, UNLESS, you used a BIGGER than normal for the fuel GPH useage. IE a 60 GPH filter when you used at best 1-5 GPH vs the typical spec of a 15-20 GPH filter.

Your mileage as all thing will vary on this topic too. I would agree with turtle tho, the first injectors on the Dmax's were not up to spec for what they should have been. Filtering is not the issue.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard of a CAT fuel filter being used that has a 2 micron rating. Nothing really special about it as it's used in heavy equipment. Unfortunately I don't drive a duramax, going to a forum specific to the Duramax diesel would probably be the best place to get a more definitive answer.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
snowpeke wrote:
I have a 2002 Duramax and know that the injectors go bad around 150000 miles. I heard that the reason for the injectors going out is lack of filtertaion from the stock fuel filter. A guy told me that a special cat fuel filter would prolong the life of the injectors. Anybody had this done on your Duramax?

Bosch screwed up on the design. It didn't really have anything to do with filtering. If it did GM would have never replaced the injectors with a newer updated design. The injectors will go out on your LB7. It's only a matter of time and it's a big job to replace them.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
no,but the current GM fuel filter (which will be the one for your 2002) has much increased filtering performance, smaller particles and fiter efficiency.

BTW my 2004.4 LLY using factory fuel filters has injector balance rates after 165K miles that are within 0.5 of the balance rates when it left the factory. balance rates are between 2 and 3 on every cylinder. IIRC around 7 is when you need to worry.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!