cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

caulking question

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Do the outside corners of an aluminum sided travel trailer need to be caulked periodically? Is this a place of possible water intrusion? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Re-interate! Dicor!!! Puts silicone to shame on RV uses, IMO.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Technically, if the corner trim is of the new variety with a molded inner flange, it shouldn't be necessary as water should shed between the flange and the siding. Practically, yes, seal everything. Dicor isn't the only game in town. I use Geocel Tripolymer sealant (makers of Proflex RV) and it works out well.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
PapaNIes60 wrote:
Yes. I check all caulked seams periodically. If there are any cracks, clean the crack really good and apply a high quality outdoor silicone caulk.

Yes to the first part, NO NO NO to the silicone caulk. Silicone does not hold up well, and all residue must be COMPLETELY removed before you can re-caulk. Dicor non-levelling is the best type for vertical seams.

I stand corrected! Dicor non-leveling it is.

realebill
Explorer
Explorer
weathershak wrote:
If you plan on keeping your aluminum trailer for several years, it is a good idea to caulk all the screws. The rubber strip that hides all the screw is not water tight. I took all my screws out one at a time and dipped the screws into a tube of 5200 (the part that threads into the wood stud) and hand tightened them back in. I was amazed how rusty the screws were after the trailer being only 1 years old. 3 years later, everything was good and it was a bonus and helped with the sale when I showed the buyer that all the screws were sealed with caulk.

it's especially important to do that to all the screws that hold the raingutter strip along the edge of the roof. when I replaced all the screws on mine,I was surprised that not only were most of them rusty,they were also loose,not snugged in tight. not only did I dip the screws in caulk,I replaced the old screws with stainless steel.
2006 gmc sierra 1500,not used as TV
2008 rockwood 8315SS sig. ultralite
2004 carolina skiff J16
2 50cc retro mopeds

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan on keeping your aluminum trailer for several years, it is a good idea to caulk all the screws. The rubber strip that hides all the screw is not water tight. I took all my screws out one at a time and dipped the screws into a tube of 5200 (the part that threads into the wood stud) and hand tightened them back in. I was amazed how rusty the screws were after the trailer being only 1 years old. 3 years later, everything was good and it was a bonus and helped with the sale when I showed the buyer that all the screws were sealed with caulk.
Full timing it since July 2012

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
PapaNIes60 wrote:
Yes. I check all caulked seams periodically. If there are any cracks, clean the crack really good and apply a high quality outdoor silicone caulk.

Yes to the first part, NO NO NO to the silicone caulk. Silicone does not hold up well, and all residue must be COMPLETELY removed before you can re-caulk. Dicor non-levelling is the best type for vertical seams.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer