cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

caulking

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
Need some help with applying silicone caulk to my front cap. The trailer was braught into the dealer to have the front wall replaced, but that's a whole different story. Anyways after washing and waxing the unit I found some gaps in the silicone on the front wall. My question is what should I clean the area with before I touch up the problem ed areas and what type of silicone do you recomend. The unit is fiberglass. Thank you for your help
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs
11 REPLIES 11

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Removing the silicone is not arduous. The whole trailer can be dealt with in an afternoon (most of that watching caulk soften). You'll have to decide if you want to do it yourself or have it done by someone else. Some of this RV stuff is better to DIY but I know some folks can't/won't do it.

FYI, silicone is a pretty good sealant between two surfaces in compression. That is why RTV silicone is used between engine heads and valve covers, oil pan covers and engine blocks, water pumps and engine blocks, etc.. Silicone caulk breaks down pretty fast from UV and weather, usually within a couple of years, IME.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
Well the funny thing is I am sending the unit back to Jayco after the season. I have had nothing but trouble with the dealer doing the repairs that Jayco authorized. They assured me they were more than capable of doing the repair. I just want to make sure they don't try blaming me for neglect on maintenance. The sad thin is the dealer is one of those large nation wide companies.
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
It's been my experience that with the exception of fish tanks, you should never use silicone for anything. Especially on an RV. If that's what your dealer uses for everything you might want to consider a different dealer.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick question, could your dealer be "talking down" to you? Basically, they're saying "Silicone" when they are actually using Pro Flex or Dicor? Kinda like how people used to call all video game systems Nintendos or X-boxes. Or people (in the PNW anyways) calling most soft drinks a "Coke". That kinda thing? Maybe ask them the brand to clarify?
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
I know you are asking about silicone and I understand what the dealer told you...but you asked....so

Again, I strongly advise you against silicone. Use Proflex or Dicor Lap Sealant (either regular or self-leveling) depending on where the seam are.

Obviously the dealer did a poor job to start with, why trust what he says about using silicone?

Remove as much of the silicone as you can and use the correct stuff.
X-2

Your dealer is a idiot or wants to make money off future rv repairs.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone will degrade quickly if left in the sun and weather. IT can't be overcoated, even with more silicone.
Best procedure for the OP would be to remove the silicone that is on the trailer with a silicone removal product (I like 3M), clean the surface with a solvent, and reseal the areas with a urethane or polymer based sealant.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Our dealer uses white silicone
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.
Before repairing what the dealer has done, you are going to need to remove the silicone by scraping and then carefully using silicone remover. Then and only then can you seal things up correctly usind Dicor.
Personally before I did anything I would go to the dealers service department and see what they actually use. No reputable dealer would ever actually use silicone. But you never can tell.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I know you are asking about silicone and I understand what the dealer told you...but you asked....so

Again, I strongly advise you against silicone. Use Proflex or Dicor Lap Sealant (either regular or self-leveling) depending on where the seam are.

Obviously the dealer did a poor job to start with, why trust what he says about using silicone?

Remove as much of the silicone as you can and use the correct stuff.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
My problem with not using silicone is, that is what the dealer used to seal the front cap. I braught my concerns to them, about the silicone use,:h and they said that is what they use on all repairs.
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would clean with mineral spirits on a rag. My dealer said they use glass cleaner with ammonia, and I have used that with good success.

I would not use silicone, as it does not last, and is hard to remove.

I would use Proflex for RV. You can get it in clear, or white.

Jerry