cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ceiling fan in main area

daveyboy12
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I've successfully installed my insink-erator in my travel trailer, the wife wants a little more 'home comfort'. Next up, I am going to try and install a 42" ceiling fan just above the main dining table. I measured and it seems I have the appropriate clearance. I would have to run romex from the breaker box, likely install plastic conduit and a junction box to hang the fan from.
Has anyone else had any luck with a ceiling fan?
6 REPLIES 6

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
daveyboy12 wrote:
Now that I've successfully installed my insink-erator in my travel trailer, the wife wants a little more 'home comfort'. Next up, I am going to try and install a 42" ceiling fan just above the main dining table. I measured and it seems I have the appropriate clearance. I would have to run romex from the breaker box, likely install plastic conduit and a junction box to hang the fan from.

Unless the trailer was built to accommodate a ceiling fan, how will you secure it to the ceiling? Nothing up there but those "toothpick" wood trusses, assuming they are wood. Getting power to it might be the least of your problems, keeping it from bopping someone in the head would be a bigger concern.

FWIW: We had a fifth wheel with a ceiling fan, it did little to nothing in the way of air movement, was a flush mount to the main ceiling, and was ostensibly supposed to move air around in the kitchen and dining slide. Other than using it for lighting we never bothered with the fan.

My is over the bed, so there is plenty of head room. It also moves a ton of air, and it is a flush mount. We usually have it on low or medium. You would think a helicopter was over head on high...lol

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
daveyboy12 wrote:

Unless the trailer was built to accommodate a ceiling fan, how will you secure it to the ceiling? Nothing up there but those "toothpick" wood trusses, assuming they are wood. Getting power to it might be the least of your problems, keeping it from bopping someone in the head would be a bigger concern.

FWIW: We had a fifth wheel with a ceiling fan, it did little to nothing in the way of air movement, was a flush mount to the main ceiling, and was ostensibly supposed to move air around in the kitchen and dining slide. Other than using it for lighting we never bothered with the fan.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
We have installed a 12V ceiling fan with remote from Camping World........ Mounted to the ceiling rafters but used a 12V circuit run off the AC / lights in the overhead ..... No need for a wall switch.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a ceiling fan in the master bedroom of our TT. I used 4" screws to attach a 1x10 54inch's long to 4 of the roof rafters. (counter sink the screws so you can ad wood plugs to hide the screw heads.) I used a pancake box mounted to the 1x10 to mount the fan to, and used wire mold (found at most home improvement stores) to run the power wire along the ceiling and down the wall to a outlet where I plug the fan in. I was going to tap into the outlet, but it was to easy to just plug it in. I also used a ceiling fan that I could remove the light to save some head room.

berniross
Explorer
Explorer
Tell me about that insink-erator. Was it difficult to install, is it solidly mounted? Any concerns about foodstuff going into gray water tank?
2013 Crossroads Cruiser SK 305
2012 Silverado 2500 Duramax
SuperGlide 16K
Advantage PressurePro

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
Having installed many ceiling lights and fans in homes, the only way I can see you installing a ceiling fan in the RV would be a ceiling panel removal. That would get you to the rafters to mount the electrical box and MAYBE allow you access to a side panel where you might get a fish tape down a wall to the underbelly. From there to the electrical panel.
I am sure it can be done depending on the amount of labor and time you wish to put into the project. It seems like a lot of work.

An alternative might be a straight ceiling mount with a swag chain from the fan to the wall plug. Not as nice and neat but would work.