cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy Shake

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Just read a few articles about "Chevy Shake". Apparently two 8 speed transmissions and aluminum drive shafts have been ID'd in a class action as the issue. Test drove a really nice truck recently and that thing just about shook my teeth loose. So...googled "shaking chevy truck" and up came the class action and a number of articles.

Wondering if anyone here has had issues like this and what did you do about it? We still have our 2004 Silverado LT3 and have replaced nearly everything on it...getting a reman transmission at the moment. I joke with DH that maybe he should think of this as "restoration" project rather than OMG here comes another big $$$$ repair!

Looking at Traverse for a daily driver now. Any issues with them??

Thanks! And...DH sends his thanks as well. 🙂
33 REPLIES 33

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Next thing you know we’ll have the
Ford flutter
Ram ruffle
Tundra totter
Titan tremor
Toyota twitter
Nissan niggle

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
I received yet another notice from GM about the defective Takata air bag inflators which can kill people inside the cab if activated. It is for my 2011 Silverado 2500HD and still in 2021 GM is refusing to provide replacement parts.

I bought a 2018 Traverse and it is without a doubt the best vehicle I have owned in the past 50 years in every respect. More storage space than a Suburban and it gets 22 mpg around town and over 30 mpg on the highway. Smoother ride than I got with my Mercedes sedan. Controls are well placed and there is not an excessive reliance on the LED display to change settings like temp or fan speeds as with the Jeep Cherokee for example which was very frustrating.

The transmission is very smooth and I do not even feel the shifts. Fast acceleration which is critical where I live to be able to successfully get on the freeways with short onramps and so many other drivers busy with their fast food or texting.

Pre 2010 there were lubrication problems that led to short timing chain life but this has been fixed. I still change the oil every 5,000 miles with this engine just to be safe.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
There's a lot of stuff online about the Chevy shake, just Google it. Anyway I brought my current truck to the dealer 3 times for vibration/shaking issues soon after I purchased it at around 3k miles. They ended up replacing the tires and doing a road force balance on it and that cured the problem.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Shake shake shake, shake shake shake
Shake your Chevy, shake your Chevy
Oh, shake shake shake, shake shake shake

Settle down KC!;)
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

I actually had a shake in mine last fall, but a rear U joint totally fixed it.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

LMAO!! :B:B

I have never heard of Chevy shake either until I read this.
Soooo, what is next? Ford Fumble? :B

I knew it!!! I leave for a few hours and you guys ran with it!

Have to say... I'm LMAO too!! Apparently though, there is a lawsuit so be careful who you shake your Chevy at LOL!

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a “shake” per se but I did have a shudder with a 2015 6.2 w/ 8 speed. They ended up putting a converter in under warranty. It totally solved it. Truck was a rocket, shudder and all.:)
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Always a class action lawsuit!
Could be drive shaft angle, stuffed a 302 auto in a 64 Econoline, too much angle on a short shaft, vibration. Then lowered trans mount about 1” all better.
Could be bad U-Joints also, smart dealer would know great driveline shop in their area that could solve.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10 wrote:

LMAO!! :B:B

I have never heard of Chevy shake either until I read this.
Soooo, what is next? Ford Fumble? :B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
If the "Z" angle isn't matched close enough, the drive shaft will shake/vibrate/etc. What happens is that the end U-Joints get slightly out of phase and wear that way to become more and more prone to vibrate/shake

Betcha the tranny's rear mount has too much compliance and allows the "Z" angle to move around and once it starts to vibrate/shake/etc...it will continue until slowed down.

Also, 2 piece drive shafts with a center bearing/bushing has been known to have this on occasion after many miles have worn the center bearing/carrier
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if it is the same issue but I had a 2009 GMC dmax dually and it had a vibration when starting off. There was a GM service bulletin on this issue that was caused by the driveshaft angle. I took mine to the dealer and they fixed it no problems afterward traded it in in 2014.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
No shake on my 2020 Silverado 1500 with or without the TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
No shake for me. Never heard of it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
First it was death wobble. Now Chevy shake. Lord help us!

Actually it goes back at least as far as 2016.

Next will be, "If you can't stop, RAM it".

Oh, I can see that this is going to get pretty humorous! :W