cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy Silverado 2500HD ride question

seekingsummits
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up a used 2013 3/4ton (previous TV was a 1/2 ton yukon xl denali). This is my first 3/4 ton truck and I fully expected a stiffer ride with this set up vs that of a 1/2 ton truck however when not towing, Im notcing what seems to be a fair bit of rear end hop when driving through town etc. I always like the feedback here and figure there are lots of folks with far more experience than me so just thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts or ideas (other than you should have bought a "-------".

Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

seekingsummits
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for all the info. Very helpful

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
seekingsummits wrote:
I double checked and this truck as the 265/70r17s on it with a 75psi rating on the door sticker. For running down the hwy unloaded would folks really recommend running down to 45psi? Ive not ran LT tires before, only P series and have just never under inflated that much other than for offroading so just curious if folks would really go that low

Think of it this way. Air pressure is holding up the vehicle, not the strength of the tire. So if your half ton then a slightly heavier, on the rear axle, 3/4 ton will be happy with slightly more pressure.......with the ability to air up to 80psi to carry significantly more load.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
Yes, go for 45psi. If you do not get a full contact patch on the road, go less. If you have full contact patch, then you could go higher, but only do 5 psi increase or decreases. I run 50 on the rear of my 00 C2500 reg cab, I only have 2400 lbs on the rear empty. No need to run 80 with 6100 lbs of capacity. real rough ride.

Marty

Yes, softer ride, full contact with road means less tire spin starting out in slippery conditions.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Most 250/2500 trucks can weigh in the 2800-3200 lb range on the rear tires. Thats only 1400-1600 lbs of weight per tire so yeah nothing wrong with 45 psi in my 2500 Ram/Cummins and LT265/70-17 load E tire when not carrying a load.
The Cummins is heavy so 65 psi works best in the front for my particular truck.

Now on the wifes '16 chevy 1500 4x4 crew cab with P255/70-17" I've found 32-35 psi in the rear gives a better ride plus the tire sits flatter across the tread.
And around 38 psi in the front works best. Now if I'm pulling my 10k car hauler with my blue tractor/7' mower then I use the full 44 psi in all four tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

blt2ski
Yes, go for 45psi. If you do not get a full contact patch on the road, go less. If you have full contact patch, then you could go higher, but only do 5 psi increase or decreases. I run 50 on the rear of my 00 C2500 reg cab, I only have 2400 lbs on the rear empty. No need to run 80 with 6100 lbs of capacity. real rough ride.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

seekingsummits
Explorer
Explorer
I double checked and this truck as the 265/70r17s on it with a 75psi rating on the door sticker. For running down the hwy unloaded would folks really recommend running down to 45psi? Ive not ran LT tires before, only P series and have just never under inflated that much other than for offroading so just curious if folks would really go that low

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
You have the best riding truck out there.

I recently drove my parents '16 Chevy 2500 truck and I was surprised how rough it drove. So I asked my dad how much air is in his tires and he said 70 psi. In my truck I run 65-66 psi and I swear that my Super Duty may ride a bit smoother especially on the front end.

Stop drunk posting Troy! Only someone inebriated would think a SFA would give a better ride than an IRS.

Like I said I was surprised... Now I'm sure the mass of a SFA on some washboard gravel road will ride worse, but again the truck road very stiff. Matter of fact it rides rougher than his 05 2WD.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Lower pressure to 40-50 lbs in the rear. WORKS BETTER than new shocks from the half dozen 2500/SW3500 GM trucks I've owned! Even my one personal use dually rode better empty with 40 lbs in the rear vs 80 in all four rears!
IF and THEN if it is not soft enough, try different shocks.

Marty

Im notcing what seems to be a fair bit of rear end hop when driving through town etc.

Ride quality and "rear end hop" are two different things entirely. Rear end hop is caused by GM's junk factory shocks not being valved correctly from the factory.

If the OP would have complained about ride quality my answer would be different.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Besides Bilstien shocks, lower your rear tire pressure to about 45 to 50 psi when not towing.

I lower my pressure to 60 PSI and I keep my 60-gallon aux tank full and, if I have time, I keep the main tank fairly full too. That makes a lot of difference. I was going to buy a 1/2 inch steel plate and put it in the bed until it dawned on me that a nice extra fuel tank costs about as much.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

blt2ski
Lower pressure to 40-50 lbs in the rear. WORKS BETTER than new shocks from the half dozen 2500/SW3500 GM trucks I've owned! Even my one personal use dually rode better empty with 40 lbs in the rear vs 80 in all four rears!
IF and THEN if it is not soft enough, try different shocks.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
travelnutz wrote:
I'd much rather have Rancho 9000X adjustable shocks. So much better ride than Bilstiens when truck is unloaded and easily as good as Bilstiens when max loaded.

Ditto.

I have had RS9000x shocks on trucks now, both ruck in my signature and my previous truck, a 2002 2500HD.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I recently drove my parents '16 Chevy 2500 truck and I was surprised how rough it drove. So I asked my dad how much air is in his tires and he said 70 psi. In my truck I run 65-66 psi and I swear that my Super Duty may ride a bit smoother especially on the front end.

Stop drunk posting Troy! Only someone inebriated would think a SFA would give a better ride than an IRS.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
I haven't done the shocks, but have lowered the tire pressure. Ride is not bad. Heads up on lowering air pressure, my TPMS alarms at about 50psi so I don't go lower than that usually.

go to your local dealer. they can reprogram the pressure limit warning for low tire pressure limit. I had that done on my 2015.5 Denali.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!