Explorer
Explorer
https://www.engadget.com/amp/chevy-ecrate-2021-174002305.html?guccounter=1

Exciting news!

Chevy will start selling EV retrofit kits in 2021

Wonder when their HD and HO versions will come out

Then the hot rod crowd's offerings
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...
9 REPLIES 9

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
That’ll sell like snow shovels in Hawaii.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Yeah, we should all go buy 3K beaters and put in a 20-30K electric conversion. Might want to run that by your financial advisor.

Don't forget to add in the cargo trailer since the pickup bed is full of electrical junk.

Is that where the battery goes?

I don’t know. I think it will be a niche market. A brand new entry level Tesla Cybertruck starts at 39000 ish bucks. One would have to be dedicated to their old Chevy before dropping serious coin on an old truck and only have marginal performance.

JMHO.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Yeah, we should all go buy 3K beaters and put in a 20-30K electric conversion. Might want to run that by your financial advisor.

Don't forget to add in the cargo trailer since the pickup bed is full of electrical junk.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Pretty cool idea, I wonder what the cost will be. I read another article on that Blazer conversion. With 200 hp and a 60 kwh battery it won't have Tesla-like performance or range, but enough to get out of its own way and drive to work and back. The other article I read stated that it used the stock automatic transmission- I would have to wonder why they didn't just bolt the EV motor to the transfer case.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
noteven wrote:
I'm working on some apps for this segment that will play through your sound system:

- sudden loss of coolant with fake steam from under the hood = water pump
- a diesel blowing a head gasket, c/w fake white smoke of the burning coolant
- a diesel injector misfire 2 days after the last payment
- an interference engine stripping a timing belt and bending it's valves
- an auto trans losing drive in 3rd
- a check engine light that illuminates with a warning "25 miles to limp mode" tied to navigation so it comes on 50 miles into a vacation trip
- a fake will not start
- a fake fuel economy display that shows 50% less that "EPA numbers"

Lol. :).

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
I'm working on some apps for this segment that will play through your sound system:

Save your time,that one is already factual on most vehicles.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Things, they are a changin’. Very interesting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

- sudden loss of coolant with fake steam from under the hood = water pump
- a diesel blowing a head gasket, c/w fake white smoke of the burning coolant
- a diesel injector misfire 2 days after the last payment
- an interference engine stripping a timing belt and bending it's valves
- an auto trans losing drive in 3rd
- a check engine light that illuminates with a warning "25 miles to limp mode" tied to navigation so it comes on 50 miles into a vacation trip
- a fake will not start