cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chrysler Aspen AWD differential fluid

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
Just had all of my fluids changed at the dealer in my 2008 Aspen. In reading my manual, the front differential calls for 75-90 fluid and the rear differential calls for 75-140. Drove home and was looking over my bill from the dealer and they placed 75-140 in both differentials even though the front calls for 75-90. For those of you that have Aspens, Durangos or maybe other AWD vehicles, is this a big deal or will it be ok. Do I need to go back to the dealer and have the proper viscosity oil put in as per the manual? Thank you all for your advice.
11 REPLIES 11

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
It will only hurt at the gas pump( minutely ). It's a CAFE thing.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
The 75w-140 is synthetic and superior to the 75w-90 dino oil.
As others have correctly stated, it is perfectly fine in the front differential.
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
dslc6487 wrote:
Just had all of my fluids changed at the dealer in my 2008 Aspen. In reading my manual, the front differential calls for 75-90 fluid and the rear differential calls for 75-140. Drove home and was looking over my bill from the dealer and they placed 75-140 in both differentials even though the front calls for 75-90.

The first time I had the Dodge dealer change the oil in my 2013 Grand Caravan, I got home and reviewed the paperwork from the dealer. The paperwork showed that they put in the wrong type of oil. I immediately called them. After being transferred a couple of times, I eventually was told that their paperwork was wrong and that their bulk oil was the correct type for my van (which has the very common 3.6 liter Pentastar V6). All oil changes since that time have been conducted at the same dealer, and all paperwork continues to show the incorrect type of oil. So, maybe they did not make a mistake. Just a thought.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Community Alumni
Not applicable
75w140 won't hurt. If anything it's going to give you better wear protection. You'd need lab conditions to detect the difference in performance. Maybe a couple of HP and a tenth of an MPG.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can run 75/140 in the front without issue. the difference is you may see better gas mileage (.001), but it won hurt anything. every 75/140 I`ve seen is full synthetic. this comes from a Chrysler tech for over 15 years.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Go back and demand the right fluid. You probably have similar front and rear diffs to my 06 Liberty.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
It is fine. Many independents have one barrel and all get same.

That's why I would never take my vehicle to one of those quick lube places.

Op, I would make them put in the appropriate lubricant. There's a reason the manufacturer specified a less viscous oil in the front differential than the rear. Why take a chance of damaging the vehicle with the wrong lubricant, especially when you paid the dealer to do it correctly?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
It is fine. Many independents have one barrel and all get same.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd make them do it right.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
Only issue I posted was the fuel splash back problem. There were several responses to that post, but that was my only real issue. And, if you will go back to that post and read my update, you will find that my dealer and Chrylser were kind enough to listen to my complaint and cover the cost for a diagnostic test and repair of my vehicle. No cost to me.

On the differential issue, just asking for advice, not beating up service provider. If you took it that way, that is your problem. My service provider and myself have a very good working relationship, through vehicle purchases and service after purchase. Planned to stop by tomorrow and ask my service rep about the difference in fluid, but just thought I would post here tonight and see if anyone had had any experience with the same fluid in both differentials. I HIGHLY recommend my provider to anyone looking for a Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep vehicle and if anyone wants to pm me, I will gladly give you their name and location.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
You have posted many issues with your newly purchased used Aspen to the point of abusing your service provider. Give it a break, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!