cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning EDPM (EPDM) roofs

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
So, I can fix leaks, rebuild floors, change out fridges & toilets & furnaces & HWT's, and repair brakes, pack bearings, rewire things, etc., but I know nothing about trailer roofs.

(I remember reading a thread about this recently but I can't find it).

Got an '05 Trail Cruiser 26, which looks like it has one of those EDPM or EPDM or... rubber type roofs. It's got a bunch of black spots but doesn't look all that bad, no green grunge that we get a lot here of in NW Washington. In a recent heavy rain, black streaks have been forming on the sidewalls, so I figure the roof is plenty dirty and I should probably wash it. I've read where you shouldn't do that, and also where you should do that. If I should do it, what soap should I use?

The roof can be walked on cause the TT is made out of those laminated panels that are pretty strong.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
8 REPLIES 8

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I use rain gutter extensions and don't bother trying to clean it.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago when I bought my RV Dicor reccomended washing with Dawn concentrate. Since the many companies including Dicor have new products to sell you. I would like to know what people in the business have to say about cleaning the EPDM roof. I wash mine twice a year with Dawn.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I only clean my roof when I am going to re-apply a EPDM paint, not every year. This happens to be a year that I needed to do some re-coating so I washed the roof last week. Tide laundry soap worked very well and washed off with no residue.

Be careful if you are going to stand on the roof while cleaning. A wet roof, especially with a soap product added, becomes like ice-Very slippery. I got most of it clean by staying on a ladder and using a long handle brush. I did around the AC, vents, etc. first, staying on my hands and knees with as little water and soap as possible, then hit the big areas from the side with the brush, soap, and hose.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Explorer
Explorer
Everybody is going to say OMG don't ever do that. I use Acetone when the spots get out of hand. Just don't let it drip down the sides. What does Eternabond Company recommend to prep for application??? Acetone
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
What works for me:
Wash it with liquid spic and span (following the directions) using a not to stiff brush.(the type with the long handle that you was your car with).
Then use a conditioner that is made just for that. You get it a any RV dealer.
I spray it on and then wipe it out with a sponge.

I do it once or twice a year. New trailers recommend every 90 days.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Roof Care

You may want to check out these videos. What product you decide to use is up to you, though I found Dicor products worked great for me.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
George has a lot of good info. I add Clorox bleach to the Dawn. Brush it on and let it sit a bit before you rinse it off. Go over any stubborn spots. The same mix works for cleaning an awning.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
Dawn dish wash soap is recommended, I use Ivory and a long handled car wash brush. If stained a scrub brush will help. In our environment spring and fall cleaning works well.
As for black streaks, if they are below the ends of so-called rain gutters add the extended tips and get the runoff off of the sidewall. I put on a set of flexible tips 10 years ago and they are still working great, NO STREAKS.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3