https://youtu.be/DOnxT1S4Irw
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
155 REPLIES 155

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have been wintering in then Coachella Valley since 2005. Over that time the amount of 250/2500 lifted trucks with aftermarket tires and wheels have increased. Over the years staying at the Thousand trails in Palm Desert it's been entertaining watching them go by with their headlights pointing to the sky and bouncing down the highway. They are heading to the Desert from the general LA area and back every weekend. I have seen plenty of them lying on their side.

They tow "JUST FINE" until they don't!

The truck in the Vid was out on their maiden voyage with new truck and RV, Truck was a F250 with about 4" lift along with aftermarket tires of an unknown load range, air bags and aftermarket wheels that may or may not meet the load capacity of the OE wheels.

I really don't care what was the cause of the accident was the RV was too much for the truck plain and simple.

So newbies and anyone with an open mind please watch the vid!!!

Looked to me like the left rear wheel failed with the spokes broken. The truck was hit in the right rear and that caused the left rear wheel to fail, then that most likely contributed to the pickup rolling over on the drivers side.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CaptnJohn
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you have to be an expert to know when a TV is that far overloaded in payload alone. One day hopefully RVs will be required to be safety inspected / weighed with the TV.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:

Yep another self proclaimed expert

Well that and he is one of those "whatever I have is the best and if I don't have then it sucks" kind of guys.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have been wintering in then Coachella Valley since 2005. Over that time the amount of 250/2500 lifted trucks with aftermarket tires and wheels have increased. Over the years staying at the Thousand trails in Palm Desert it's been entertaining watching them go by with their headlights pointing to the sky and bouncing down the highway. They are heading to the Desert from the general LA area and back every weekend. I have seen plenty of them lying on their side.

The truck in the Vid was out on their maiden voyage with new truck and RV, Truck was a F250 with about 4" lift along with aftermarket tires of an unknown load range, air bags and aftermarket wheels that may or may not meet the load capacity of the OE wheels.

I really don't care what was the cause of the accident was the RV was too much for the truck plain and simple.

Yep another self proclaimed expert
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am thinking that in most situations two seconds should have been plenty of time to stop from 40mph. I am wondering if his trailer brakes were working properly. I notice that the trailer looks to be very new. I recently bought a heavy trailer and found the brakes to be nearly useless as I left the lot. I eventually found out that the brakes need to be burnished in. I wonder how many 5th wheel campers get their brakes burnished in before hitting the open road. How many owners are even aware that it needs to be done?

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
I like the lights that have the countdown for the cross wallk. I can see how much time is left as I approach the light. Havenโ€™t run into a 2 second yellow light, but I know theyโ€™re out there!

I am seeing more and more round-abouts when I travel. One of those may have prevented this accident. The proponents do claim that round-abouts have been shown to be safer. Just thinking about your comment though, I have no idea how they handle cross walks.

CaptnJohn
Explorer
Explorer
There is a saying about what cannot be fixed ~~~ that leads to trucks like this that cannot be fixed either.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
smurfs_of_war wrote:

You mean they DON'T pick up and weigh each and every itty bitty piece and weigh it to compare it to your yellow door sticker???

First LEO on scene gathered the pieces, then couldn't figure out how to open driver's door to read sticker.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
smurfs_of_war wrote:
You mean they DON'T pick up and weigh each and every itty bitty piece and weigh it to compare it to your yellow door sticker???

Ha ha... shhhhhhhhh... don't let the weight police know!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

smurfs_of_war
Explorer
Explorer
PDX.Zs wrote:
Having written and read hundreds of these stupid reports, I can assure you all it will be a lot less interesting / informative that thought.

No CSI, no crash reconstruction, no 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows.

Just a couple boxes checked and info taken.

Get it in and get it out...

This sort of thing barely registers for LE. Whichever agency responded took less time processing and thinking about this incident than it took to read this thread.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
PDX.Zs wrote:
Having written and read hundreds of these stupid reports, I can assure you all it will be a lot less interesting / informative that thought.

No CSI, no crash reconstruction, no 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows.

This sort of thing barely registers for LE. Whichever agency responded took less time processing and thinking about this incident than it took to read this thread.

Good point, they don't do much here unless it's a fatality or severe injury.

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
I love it how all of a sudden everyone becomes an expert

We are all experts at making assumptions without all the facts! It would be interesting to have access to the LEO accident reports on this!

Doesn't look like California makes crash reports public. The form CHP 190 requires the requesting party be somehow involved.

Could try FOIA and ask for a redacted copy?

Oh I think we all are involved now. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
I love it how all of a sudden everyone becomes an expert

We are all experts at making assumptions without all the facts! It would be interesting to have access to the LEO accident reports on this!

Doesn't look like California makes crash reports public. The form CHP 190 requires the requesting party be somehow involved.

Could try FOIA and ask for a redacted copy?