cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coachmen Apex Ultralite vs Jayco Feather 24RL

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
We've narrowed our choices for 2021 models down to two. Everything is nearly the same, length, weight, price all what we're looking for. My hold ups are these and I'd like opinions on experience with these lines as construction is similar throughout the individual brands. The Coachmen seems to have better construction - welded metal frame. The drawback is the interior fit and finish seems somewhat lacking. The roof is EDPM over decking and that aluminum welded frame. The Jayco has better wood construction than most other brands so I'm not sure that's a deciding factor? The fit and finish seem much better but I'm looking for longevity. Roof is TPO over decking and wood frame. The good news is the two lots are right across the road from each other so I can see them withing a few minutes of each other.

On a side note, my 2004 Trail-Bay 27ft has so much more space than either of these! It's just beyond what I'm willing to put in it to keep it road worthy. The previous owners failed to properly repair roof damage and leak damage twice and never used the propane system at all. It's way nicer as far as fit and finish and quality of interior than the new ones. (Exception - the counters in the new ones are nice).
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS
9 REPLIES 9

akcorr
Explorer
Explorer
lwbfl wrote:
After comparing the models side by side we decided on the Coachmen. Thanks to those who answered my original post!

Looks great. Congratulations on the purchase!

akcorr
Explorer
Explorer
lwbfl wrote:
akcorr wrote:
I originally was looking at coachmen and forest river for the fact that they use Azdel in many of their builds. Not sure if Jayco is doing the same now? Might be a difference maker when you are considering you purchase. Better R value, little chance of rot or mildew, and it's a lighter material than traditional luan.

They all have their own name for a similar product. My 1980 Minnie Winnie Class "C" had the same thing but with aluminum exterior siding instead of fiberglass.

Really? What was the name of the product? Do they still use it today?

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the new TT set up in the yard, checking everything out. Our first trip will be this weekend, although it's not your typical camping trip. We'll be taking it 2 hours west of here to our former home that was destroyed by Hurricane Michael in 10/2018. The TT we replaced had been set up there for a base camp, but will now become storage as most of the systems have failed beyond repair. At least now we can stay the entire weekend and get some more work done! I have to replace the RV outlet I installed thanks to the lightning so we'll be using the 12V/ Propane and maybe a generator if absolutely necessary. More of a trip of necessity than pleasure but we will camp!
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer

Click For Full-Size Image.
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
After comparing the models side by side we decided on the Coachmen. Thanks to those who answered my original post!
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Recalibrate your acceptance criteria and standards

RV mfg use cheap material, and you will have to fix things. Houses are not designed to drive on today's poor roads.

Start with that premise, and you will be much happier.

I have a coachman Freedom Express trailer. Azdel looks good and should give a nice long lasting appearance. HOWEVER, I have a long list of "simple" fixes that should have not left the factory. One example, hot leg connected to charger with a loose screw. Discovered that when I upgraded the charger to one that actually functions.

This is my 7th RV, I'm just trying to decide between the two.
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recalibrate your acceptance criteria and standards

RV mfg use cheap material, and you will have to fix things. Houses are not designed to drive on today's poor roads.

Start with that premise, and you will be much happier.

I have a coachman Freedom Express trailer. Azdel looks good and should give a nice long lasting appearance. HOWEVER, I have a long list of "simple" fixes that should have not left the factory. One example, hot leg connected to charger with a loose screw. Discovered that when I upgraded the charger to one that actually functions.

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
akcorr wrote:
I originally was looking at coachmen and forest river for the fact that they use Azdel in many of their builds. Not sure if Jayco is doing the same now? Might be a difference maker when you are considering you purchase. Better R value, little chance of rot or mildew, and it's a lighter material than traditional luan.

They all have their own name for a similar product. My 1980 Minnie Winnie Class "C" had the same thing but with aluminum exterior siding instead of fiberglass.
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

akcorr
Explorer
Explorer