cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS

hppytrls
Explorer
Explorer
I've been shopping for a new TT and like the Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS. Anyone have any experience with this model, any comments about it? Thanks.
49 REPLIES 49

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mikakuja wrote:
What impressed me most was that Coachmen is that unlike most other FG walled trailers they use Azdel in their walls. Azdel is not wood based and won't take on water which leads to delamination...

SoundGuy wrote:
An overstatement of fact that I'm sure Coachmen would love to have you believe and to propagate. :R In point of fact only the sidewalls are Azdel, the end panels are luan laminated with fiberglass.

mikakuja wrote:
The OP was looking at a Freedom Express, not an Apex, the two are actually quite different.

Set aside from the fact that you are just biased against everything and very seldom have anything positive to say, I am voicing my opinion, you don't have to agree. So how about offering the OP some useful advise instead of picking apart comments and trolling for arguments

Boon Docker wrote:
X2

It does get a bit old after a while doesn't it.

The OP said in his first post that started this thread -

"I've been shopping for a new TT and like the Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS. Anyone have any experience with this model, any comments about it?"

Since when is providing correct information "trolling"? Stating that the walls in that 246RKS the OP is interested in are Azdel is in fact a misstatement of fact, not an opinion, as only the side walls are Azdel, the end panels are luan. Go to the Coachmen Freedom Express Webpage, click on features, and right at the top you'll note it says Azdel composite sidewalls.

FWIW, here's that pic I referred to earlier of that Coachmen Apex rear wall that was being replaced by my dealer. The original end panel that had been removed was sitting against the wall and although I didn't bother taking a pic of it I did carefully examine it and can confirm it was indeed luan bonded to fiberglass, no Azdel at all. The original panel was secured to the trailer around the edges with staples, when the tech installed the new replacement panel he applied adhesive to all the frame members and used screws around the edges, later covering those edge corners with trim. When I questioned the tech he confirmed that my Freedom Express is exactly the same.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikakuja wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
mikakuja wrote:
What impressed me most was that Coachmen is that unlike most other FG walled trailers they use Azdel in their walls. Azdel is not wood based and won't take on water which leads to delamination...

An overstatement of fact that I'm sure Coachmen would love to have you believe and to propagate. :R In point of fact only the sidewalls are Azdel, the end panels are luan laminated with fiberglass. I have before me on my phone a pic I took at my local Coachmen dealer - brand new Apex on which the entire rear wall had been removed because sealant had failed, the wall became soaked and delaminated, and was being replaced with a new wall. Hate to say it but all the studs are wood with fiberglass batting for insulation between the studs - entirely conventional stick construction. My Coachmen Freedom Express wouldn't be any different. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The OP was looking at a Freedom Express, not an Apex, the two are actually quite different. Can't speak for the Apex but the Freedom express is aluminum cage construction, not wood (at lest in the 16/17 models).. And beside that, any trailer or RV can leak (Coachmen included) and cause damage, which was not the point of the thread or my comments.

Set aside from the fact that you are just biased against everything and very seldom have anything positive to say, I am voicing my opinion, you don't have to agree. So how about offering the OP some useful advise instead of picking apart comments and trolling for arguments.

X2

It does get a bit old after a while doesn't it.

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 coachman freedom express 28SE and we love the layout of it. The freedom express line is all very nice and we would recommend it to anybody. This is the 3rd coachman travel trailer we have owned and have always had good dealing and are satisfied with their products.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Flatfoot-Rogue wrote:
If one wants to complain start your own thread.

Who's complaining? Merely stating a fact. ๐Ÿ˜›

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mikakuja wrote:
The OP was looking at a Freedom Express, not an Apex, the two are actually quite different.

Actually that's not the case at all, at the time that wall was pulled off the Apex I asked the tech about my own Freedom Express and was told it was exactly the same. Freedom Express and Apex lines are built side by side in the same manufacturing facility, and are not unlike a Chevy Silverado and GM Sierra - slightly different appearance from the outside but much the same inside. Regardless, my comment stands - Azdel is only used in the sidewalls of a Freedom Express trailer, not the end walls.

Flatfoot-Rogue
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
mikakuja wrote:

An overstatement of fact that I'm sure Coachmen would love to have you believe and to propagate. :R In point of fact only the sidewalls are Azdel, the end panels are luan laminated with fiberglass. I have before me on my phone a pic I took at my local Coachmen dealer - brand new Apex on which the entire rear wall had been removed because sealant had failed, the wall became soaked and delaminated, and was being replaced with a new wall. Hate to say it but all the studs are wood with fiberglass batting for insulation between the studs - entirely conventional stick construction. My Coachmen Freedom Express wouldn't be any different. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Coachman Freedom Express is not even in the same class or category as an Apex trailer. As for the freedom Express 246RKS it is constructed completely different than the apex. NO WOOD IN EXTERIOR WALLS ie: Alumicage Welded Aluminum Structure, Vacuum Bonded Floor and Sidewalls, Azdel Composite (IPO luan behind fiberglass). This product uses Azdel Composite Sidewalls and luan fiberglass over aluminum endwalls. As far as I can tell The front Endcap is resin on the 2017. This manufacturing process is new to the 2016/17 line-up and has not been adopted by very many brands yet. The construction of a 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS is in no way the same as the construction of the trailer that the OP was asking about. Coachman seems to be trying new construction practices and materials to help alleviate leaking problems in the future. I wish people would stay on topic and try to post constructive advise for the OP. If one wants to complain start your own thread.
2004 f-150
2005 Fleetwood Wilderness 18T6 (heavily modified)

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
mikakuja wrote:

The OP was looking at a Freedom Express, not an Apex, the two are actually quite different. Can't speak for the Apex but the Freedom express is aluminum cage construction, not wood (at lest in the 16/17 models).. And beside that, any trailer or RV can leak (Coachmen included) and cause damage, which was not the point of the thread or my comments.

Set aside from the fact that you are just biased against everything and very seldom have anything positive to say, I am voicing my opinion, you don't have to agree. So how about offering the OP some useful advise instead of picking apart comments and trolling for arguments.

NYCAP
Explorer
Explorer
Well the Coachmen didn't work out. There was evidence inside of leaks, and a good deal of delamination under the cab-over and other spots. Also found out that not all Class A's require a license endorsement. The smaller ones are under 26K lbs GCVR. So we're currently checking out an early 2000's Fleetwood Flair 30H with the GM Workhorse. Headers and an exhaust change and the owner says he gets 8.38 mpg. Any opinions or advice on this MH or the Workhorse setup? I'm more familiar with the Ford V10. I know the towing capacity is lower (5,000 lbs vs 3500), but I only expect to tow a small trailer with my bike.

I'm looking for motorhomes from private owners rather than dealers. I don't like salesmen. Besides there being more room for negotiation, it allows me to speak directly with the person who has the experience with the vehicle. I'll pay less, he'll make more, and I'll know a lot more about what I'm buying.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mikakuja wrote:

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
Overall I was impressed by the fit and finish of the Freedom Express series trailers. Yes, like all other there are quality control issues, but for the most part they seem to be above the average, IMO. There are lemons from every manufacturer. What impressed me most was that Coachmen is that unlike most other FG walled trailers they use Azdel in their walls. Azdel is not wood based and won't take on water which leads to delamination... Do your own research and draw your own conclusions on this..

Keep in mind that Coachmen uses the same suppliers as the majority of the industry. So problems related to components such as LCI or whatever appliances or electronics that happen to be in the trailer are going to be the same as pretty much any other manufacturer. IMO you should pay close attention to construction details, fit and finish etc. Some manufactures pay attention to details and just stand out over the others. Don't let the salesmen rush you through the units, take your time and really inspect the units carefully.

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
NYCAP wrote:
I spent 30 years as a yacht captain,and I spent all that time wondering what would break or go wrong next. Didn't matter if the owner spent 30K or 3 million. From what I've read it's obvious why they call RVs "Land Yachts". One thing I learned is to never buy new. The first owner gets the new boat bugs and pays to straighten them out, plus he pays the broker's profit.

So now I've retired, and know better than to buy a boat, but I've still got the travel itch. I figure that with RVs at least I don't have to worry about rough seas, breaking lose of a mooring or sinking. Also I like that the name doesn't stand for (B)reak (O)ut (A)nother (T)housand. Or am I wrong about that?

I'm searching for my first RV. I figure to come in fairly cheap to limit my downside while I learn what the life is about. This is pretty broad, but I'd appreciate any advice or wisdom anyone cares to pass on. Having acted as a buyer's rep on several boat deal I tend to not be impressed by the glitz easily, and look for the rust instead. So I intend to check it out like a surveyor to the best of my ability, and then have a professional check it out also.

I'm about to check out a Coachmen Leprechaun 317KS (a class C), about 12 years old, with the V-10. On another blog I read a lot of people dissing Coachmen, but then on checked out Winnebago and a few other makes, and found people dissing them as well (for many of the same problems). From that I gather that RVS like boats break and leak, and people tend to write stuff more when they have problems than when they're happy. Coachmen has been around since 1964. So they can't be too horrible. Plus my friend owns a smaller one and is happy. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this model? How's it's power? Can it pull a small trailer with a motorcycle uphill (like upstate NY)? Any systemic problems?

Thanks in advance for any advice and sharing any knowledge your experience has gained you.

P.S. I take it Good Sam's is a good organization to join?

Easy answers first GS gets nice discounts at decent to very good parks,it also assures you of mail.
I haven't been able to ween from the cruiser addiction so we have that as well as the camper. My wife and I regularly revisit the question of TV + camper vs class a+toad. To date we continue to favor TV+ to keep some simplicity in our lives.
Count up tires, engines, batteries, heads, etc. And the maintenance comissioning/decommissioning I figure that since the tv is my DD we will trailer. BTW our trailer was old when we bought it for some of the reason's you cited, our cruiser is also older, a 1968 35 CC Commander.
Good luck Tim

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is much older but we like the RK. A friend has a rear living room and while it has a user friendly kitchen I find it strange tripping over his feet coming in the door.

hppytrls
Explorer
Explorer
It's good to hear that you made out so well with the Coachman 246RKS. The floor plan looks very handy. We stopped by the dealership again today to take a few measurements.

FreedomFam
Explorer
Explorer
Our first camper 3 years ago was a 246RKS. I loved this camper and we had basically no problems with it. We camped a lot in those 3 years and just this year traded it for a fifth wheel. I loved the rear kitchen and the whole layout. We only traded because we wanted something larger. Actually we have had more trouble with the 5th wheel and we had in all 3 years with the Coachmen. Good luck!!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything has problems. It pays to be handy enough , with some basic tools to tweak these things to the point of being able to use them safely.
They sometimes use staples in idiotic places like a dinette back-rest where people normally exert a little more pressure causing the staples to pull out . There's nothing like ending up on the floor while your eating breakfast. Heaven forbid they use a decorative bolt or brace.

Regarding the rv whine.....TT owners whine can drown out a Honda 2000 and a $700k class A owners whine will drown out a contractors generator. :B