cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common issues with Dodge 6.7L or Ford 6.7

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to solicit some of the collective advice from the gurus on the forum about a new truck purchase. I've been lucky to own a few great trucks: 2001 7.3 powerstroke, a 2007 LBZ duramax, and just sold a 2003 cummins 5.9. All were great vehicles and I've been looking for similar replacements with lower miles. However, the only similar model trucks in my area with low miles are priced the same as the new vehicles and come without many of the amenities. Supply and demand I suppose.

In any case, I figure for similar pricing I should look at the Dodge 6.7 and Ford 6.7. I'm wondering if either have an achilles heel that should be watched for or checked out prior to purchase?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

I'd appreciate everyone keeping this civil. This ISN'T a what truck is best kind of post. I'd simply like to know about the common issues to each model and what to watch for.
87 REPLIES 87

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" I have a bunch of buddies with diesel trucks and the general consensus is that Cummins makes the best engine, Ford the best transmission, and GM the best riding truck. "

I would agree with #1 and 3. Ford does make a good transmission for sure but I would choose the Aisin over the Ford if given the choice. I would also choose the Ford trans over the GM twins Allison. For one the Aisin is offered in many different Medium Duty applications, Ford's is in house only. From personal experience towing 33K combined up or down 14 percent grades for miles in hot temps my trans fluid never exceeded the mid 170's

Again the Aisin is an extra $2600. I think most customers would rather have their company's best transmission when purchasing a 60-70K truck without having to shell out even more money.

Well I don't think the Aisin would be a good fit for the abilities of the 2500. Lots of people don't tow HEAVY with either 3500's so yes it is nice to have a trans that is is a true medium duty unit if one wants it.

What would you say if GM offered a true medium duty trans with more hp for those towing heavy? GM has ran out of transmission in the towing wars.

Stay tuned... With the release of the new Duramax I'm sure your truck is going to be sucking hind teet.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
gsbrockman wrote:

from FoMoCo camp

:B

Please fill out the Butt Hurt Report... This has been issued to several ram mafia.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
patriotgrunt wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" I have a bunch of buddies with diesel trucks and the general consensus is that Cummins makes the best engine, Ford the best transmission, and GM the best riding truck. "

I would agree with #1 and 3. Ford does make a good transmission for sure but I would choose the Aisin over the Ford if given the choice. I would also choose the Ford trans over the GM twins Allison. For one the Aisin is offered in many different Medium Duty applications, Ford's is in house only. From personal experience towing 33K combined up or down 14 percent grades for miles in hot temps my trans fluid never exceeded the mid 170's

Again the Aisin is an extra $2600. I think most customers would rather have their company's best transmission when purchasing a 60-70K truck without having to shell out even more money.

Well said... Having said that there was a member at the cumminsforum who drives a Super Duty and has driven a DRW Ram with a aisin and his Super Duty pulling a gooseneck towing round bails of hay. He stated the aisin was always hunting gears and was very annoying while several ram owners agreed with him. His Torque Shift transmission was a much better performing transmission hands down. He did complement the rams exhaust brake performing better than his '12 Super Duty.

I'm sure Brockman has read it... :W

gsbrockman
Explorer
Explorer

from FoMoCo camp

:B
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Cab & Chassis, 6.7L CTD & AS69RC, 4.44 ratio, 225/70R19.5 Hankooks, 60 inch C/A, 52+22 gal tanks, Aluminum Wheels, CM SK Series bed w/B&W Turnover Ball. 63,910 miles and 1,124 hours as of December 30th, 2022. (Average MPH = 56.9)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
patriotgrunt wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Well I don't think the Aisin would be a good fit for the abilities of the 2500. Lots of people don't tow HEAVY with either 3500's so yes it is nice to have a trans that is is a true medium duty unit if one wants it.

What would you say if GM offered a true medium duty trans with more hp for those towing heavy? GM has ran out of transmission in the towing wars.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
gsbrockman wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Ford Torque Shift = USA
GM Allison = USA
Aisin = USA

Choose wisely.... :W

Fixed it for ya....
Ironically.....the AS69RC is manufactured in the USA....Crothersville, IN. :B

I wrote: The Company's origin

Aisin = Japan

Nice try though! :B

So I guess you forgot to mention your trans, your tires and what else???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

LOL.... And before the aisin the 68RFE was the best transmission. We even got pics of the after market oil pan with amzoil in it to prove it. :W

Here's the company's origin:
Ford Torque Shift = USA
GM Allison = USA
Aisin = Japan

AGAIN, please quote me accurately!!! Never said the 68RFE was the "best". I did say it performed flawlessly towing a combined 29K for well over it's 65K time I owned it. Even with 3.42 gears.

And as others have proven the Aisin is US Made.

NEXT!

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

Bedlam
I like the extra gear and closer ratios in my AS69RC but I liked the shift programming of my 5R110 better. I think Aisin/Ram can do better with the programming.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
gsbrockman wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Ford Torque Shift = USA
GM Allison = USA
Aisin = USA

Fixed it for ya....

I wrote: The Company's origin

Aisin = Japan

Nice try though! :B

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Ford's auto overdrive transmissions from the 5R110 and newer are pretty good. Previous to that, not so much.

Allison autos are great, especially their bigger commercial truck models (3000-series).

Beyond those ^^, I far prefer manual transmissions to autos.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

gsbrockman
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Ford Torque Shift = USA
GM Allison = USA
Aisin = USA

Fixed it for ya....
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Cab & Chassis, 6.7L CTD & AS69RC, 4.44 ratio, 225/70R19.5 Hankooks, 60 inch C/A, 52+22 gal tanks, Aluminum Wheels, CM SK Series bed w/B&W Turnover Ball. 63,910 miles and 1,124 hours as of December 30th, 2022. (Average MPH = 56.9)

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

LOL.... And before the aisin the 68RFE was the best transmission. We even got pics of the after market oil pan with amzoil in it to prove it. :W

Here's the company's origin:
Ford Torque Shift = USA
GM Allison = USA
Aisin = Japan

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III