cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conditioning the slide seals

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
My brother in law just bought a new TT and he didn't get one with a slide out. He said he didn't want to mess with conditioning the slide. He went on to say that his father in law told him not to get a slide because you have to condition it every time you use it. Am I missing something that I don't know about? I've owned 4 trailers and never conditioned a slide. I've always just made sure there was no debris on top before pulling it in. The only thing I could possibly think of is maybe the rubber seals need conditioning periodically but not every trip.
11 REPLIES 11

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I am at the one year point, and willing to try the baby powder.

What happens to the baby powder when it rains? Seems like the first time it gets wet it will be gone?

I am going to try the baby powder too after reading some articles. I used baby powder last season on power chord, water hose, black and gray hose that are on ground and it kept ants from crawling up on and into camper! Oh and baby powder held up good in heavy rains too. Would touch up when needed.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I am at the one year point, and willing to try the baby powder.

What happens to the baby powder when it rains? Seems like the first time it gets wet it will be gone?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:

You can (every now and again) put some baby powder on a clean sock and powder the seals and around where the slide seals are - do this on a clear, dry day! This will help them glide easier - that's it!

That's all I do. The rubber seals tend to stick on the painted surfaces while stored. There are two kinds of baby powder, talc and corn starch. I use the talc thinking that the corn starch is organic and may support mildew or other lower life forms.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
chrome muffler bearings.
blinker fluid.
Winter air for tires, Summer air for tires.

oil changes every 3,000 miles..

and ON, and On... and on....

I will never own another trailer without a slide. Wife said so. 🙂

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I use the spray-on conditioner a few times a year. Takes me a few minutes for all three slides and runs about $10 a can, so no real loss if it doesn't do anything.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Second hand bunch of ****.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
That's kinda what I was thinking. I think his father in law claims to know everything about everything invented and that's where he heard it.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Pure mythology!

You can (every now and again) put some baby powder on a clean sock and powder the seals and around where the slide seals are - do this on a clear, dry day! This will help them glide easier - that's it!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crambo wrote:
My brother in law just bought a new TT and he didn't get one with a slide out. He said he didn't want to mess with conditioning the slide. He went on to say that his father in law told him not to get a slide because you have to condition it every time you use it.
Ah.. good old folklore. No, that's not true. I often wonder how this stuff gets started.

They do sell a spray-on conditioner, but honestly, all that ever did was make a mess on the wall, so I quit doing it, and my 14-yo seals are in pretty good shape.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
We have a 6 year old Dutchmen with a slide. I did by some seal conditioner last year but we have been too busy camping to mess with it. It is on my list for one of this summer's project.

I would not buy a TT without a slide, the only problem we have had were, a lot of leaves fell one fall and I had to stand on the tailgate and sweep them off and recently in the NM mountains we woke up to 3" of snow that had to be removed before the slide would come all the way in.

Just be careful that you can still use your TT with the slide in, a roadside stop for lunch or a potty break is really handy some times. 😉

I'm with ya. I wouldn't have one without a slide either. They bought a 22 footer for them and two children under the age of ten. I told my wife they were going to regret not getting a slide but as long as they are happy it's all good.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 6 year old Dutchmen with a slide. I did by some seal conditioner last year but we have been too busy camping to mess with it. It is on my list for one of this summer's project.

I would not buy a TT without a slide, the only problem we have had were, a lot of leaves fell one fall and I had to stand on the tailgate and sweep them off and recently in the NM mountains we woke up to 3" of snow that had to be removed before the slide would come all the way in.

Just be careful that you can still use your TT with the slide in, a roadside stop for lunch or a potty break is really handy some times. 😉
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.